What hops to plant?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atomicflatulence

Reaction score
I've never grown hops, but I've got experience gardening.

Was about to just pick a few varieties from freshhops when I thought I'd ask...

how do you pick the variety to grow?

i'm in nj zone 7.

I pick the varieties based on the beers I like to brew. I'm a hophead so I chose Cascades, Centennial , and Nugget. Just started 2 rhizomes of each in 3 containers. Looking forward to seeing them start.

Dave:)

Well for beginners, especially on freshops.com they recommend 3 different hops for beginners. One of them was Cascades, I forget the other two.

But I ordered 1 cascade and 1 mt. hood rhizome and got them within 4 days or ordering, they're great.

What I did in selecting my hops was go through a book I have of different recipes, and see which ones appeared the most in many varieties. Some that I saw pop up a lot were Williamettes, Norhern Brewers, Cascade, Mt. Hood, Goldings, and to a lesser exteng Magnum,.

Of course that's still a pretty wide range, but just check out the alpha range of the hops listed when you're buying them. If you want hoppy beers go for the higher alpha ones of those, if you prefer more malty beers or whatnot, then go for the lower alhpa ranges :mug:

I picked based on which I liked to brew with the most and which I used for aroma the most. Later decided I was going to start testing my hops alpha acid, but have not yet done so. This will be the first year I have enough quantity to worry about doing so.

I think the answer to this question is always the same, "Grow what you use in your beers". I'm growing a bunch of different varieties because I have time to kill and I like to experiment. I could get by with Cascade and Fuggle.

I think the answer to this question is always the same, "Grow what you use in your beers". I'm growing a bunch of different varieties because I have time to kill and I like to experiment. I could get by with Cascade and Fuggle.

Yep, I have 14 plants and could easily cut back to 6 or so. I may take 4 out for next year, we will see. I don't really use much Mt Hood or Crystal, so they may be the first to go.

you'll have to do some experimentation for yourself. i've had mixed results when growing them within a few miles of each other. the continental varieties i've tried to grow (hall., hers., tett., saaz) were always perennial losers. maybe an ounce each from mature plants. the hallertau roots i gave to a homebrewer down along the river in pittsburgh were overtaking his house in a few years. the strongest growers/producers i've dealt with were #1- cascade, #2- chinook, #3- bullion/brewers gold. the most vigorous/invasive has been the canadian redvine, but i really don't like what it imparts in the beer. if you want to cover something up, plant a few of those girls next to it. have fun.

What about East coast issues?

I'm really interested in taking advantage of 60 acres of pasture that my family owns in the catskills someday.
Currently its not being used for anything.

plant some trees and build a golf course. a lot more money to be made than growing hops, if that's what you're getting at.

And just about any variety should do well in Zone 7, especially one as far north as you are and with a mild summer.

It's funny because I've always thought of New Jersey as sort of the tropical underbelly of the north. :p

Stinking people there can keep their fig trees in the ground year round!

Of course, you're from Chicago. I assume your winter frost line is at least 3 feet down beneath the surface like it is here. Does the ground even freeze in Jersey?

plant some trees and build a golf course. a lot more money to be made than growing hops, if that's what you're getting at.

Or you could clear an acre or two, throw up a permanent tree stand, and throw in some garbage apple trees. Then go to town on Bambi with the muzzle loader in December! :D

Back