What hop is it that tastes like marigolds?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewfeller

Reaction score
I have tasted some IPAs that have a distinct marigold flavor which I am not fond of.
I like piney and citrusy but I find marigolds offensive smelling and tasting.

I can't figure out which hop imparts this flavor and aroma.
Could it be Simcoe?
ideas?

try Peak Organic Spring Simcoe, if you dont like it, thats why. why not tell us some of the beers that have the flavor you dont like. im not sure i know the flavor of the marigold taste.

I've never tasted a beer that had a marigold flavor, but now I'm intrigued. I think it would be interesting in something light like a blonde ale...don't know if I'd want it in my IPA though. I don't think it's Simcoe, but people taste things differently, so maybe. Like daniel said, post some beers that have the flavor you're referring to.

I am trying to remember which one it was...
I tasted it in either the Caldera IPA or the SKA Modus Hoperandi... but I am tending to think Caldera for some reason... Could it be CTZs (Columbus,Tomahawk,Zeus)?
Or maybe it's a blend of hops that give that funky marigold aroma and flavor.

I feel like I've tasted marigolds before in a beer but it'd be impossible for me to tell you which it was. I'm more offended by the urine smell of pilsners.. ugh. I'm avoiding everything that has to do with traditional pilsners just to avoid that.

going purely on a memory from years ago I'd say, buttery, slightly sulfuric, rose-ish, but more the bass notes of rose, rather than the highlights.

How do so many of you know what Marigolds taste like? ...stop eating flowers hippies!

What do marigolds taste like?

I was wondering the same thing! It's like saying something tastes the crap. What does crap taste like? I don't know, but I'd rather find out what a marigold tastes like!

Maybe it's just me, but a lot of simcoe in a beer tastes like pee to me, especially when it gets warm.

I'd say it was the columbus/tomohak, Pliney is dry hopped with it, and always reminds me of stinky feet, which curiously enough, I like.

Back when I did some veg farming, we grew edible marigolds. Some of the chiefs that bought from me loved to put them in salads. If one looks it up, taste is described as citrus/flowery/marigold tasting.

Wonder if hops is one of the citrus tasting ones combined w off flavor. Thinking of the soap flavor found in some IPAs, attributed to fatty acids from trub.

The greens were indeed edible, as to flavor, I remember it as being OK, but a little soapy, not something I'd seek out.

Back