What have I created?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iduncant

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm still quite new to the whole home brewing thing, i've only done 4 or 5 all grain batches so far.

about a week ago i decided to take what I had left in my cabinet and brew a beer. I had a vial full of washed yeast i could pitch without it costing me anything so i figured what the hell.

I tasted it today when getting a hydrometer reading, and it tasted pretty damn good! (for a flat, warm beer). I'm hoping someone can help me identify the style of this frankenbeer i've created:

Here's the specs:
1 Gal batch

.7 lb German Carapils 1L
.5 lb Melanoidin 25L
.5 lb Biscuit 23L
.3 lb Munich Light 10L

90 Minute Boil

Hallertau .25oz @ 60
Hallertau .25oz @ 15

OG 1.053 (measured)
IBU 31 (Calculated by Brew Toad)
SRM 15 (calculated by Brew Toad)

Any thoughts on what this is?

Not sure, but with Carapils/melanoiden as the base malt..... it ought to be full bodied and malty:)

I would say you have some sort of malty helles/cream ale/blonde ale type thing........

You are in the Twilight Zone with respect to BJCP style classification. The official name for the style should forever more be called "iduncant." As long as you like it, that's all that matters. Just curious here, but what was your gravity when you took the sample? With all that specialty grain, I wonder what kind of attenuation you'll get.

Forgot to add, the yeast was white lab abbey ale 530. The gravity reading was .022. Its still very slowly producing CO2, o figure I'll give it another 7 days before I rack it off to secondary.

wlp530 was a good choice.....
maybe choice is a strong word

it will be a dubbel. too malty for style but it should be good... just not a digestible as a belgian should be.

Primary for 10 days and SG is holding at 1.022. I don't think its going to go down from there.

I'll get it into bottles some time this weekend. Need to sterilize some water first to recover my yeast. I love that Abbey Ale yeast.

I'll get a report up when it's done. My hydrometer sample tasted pretty good. Not too bready, not at all sweet. I boiled the hops in a cotton bag, so it doesn't have as much bitterness as i'd like. Hoping there will be enough residual yeast to bottle condition.

Bottled and conditioning. We'll see how it tastes in a few!

Really... curious about this. Looks like a Dunkel Bock who tried to be a Dubbel and got lost while crossing the Channel, thus ended up being a Mild.

Back