What gauge stainless steel sheets for heat shield

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ndinh

Reaction score
I'm thinking of buying some SS T-304 sheets to make various heat shields for my kettles, brewstand, march pump, etc. Does anyone know what gauge I should get (26, 24, 22 gauge)? I need it to obviously withstand heat from my burners but also I'll be cutting these sheets at home with tin sheers and possibly bending them so I can't have them too thick. Thanks.

Not sure what gage I have been using, got a large sheet from someone. It's pretty thin but I don't think I could cut it with a hand sheers.
Don't worry about it handling the heat, no matter what you get will be fine.
I would just get the thinnest stuff you can, it will work out fine unless you need it to support some weight or something.

We use 18ga for our heat shields. Bobby_M at www.brewhardware.com has heat shields too. Might be easier/cheaper to buy from him. Thinnest you'll be able to cut with tin shears is probably 24ga (best gestimate). SS is a real tough metal.

True that!
That's why I specified "aviation snips", ( compound snips), as they will go right through that gauge and alloy.

Don't know the translation from "gauge" to "thousandths", as I deal in the latter.

304 stainless should be pretty soft, so if you are cutting it with "aviators snips", you should have no problem.

.030-.032 should work well for ya'!

Edit:http://www.corrugated-metals.com/gaugeindecimals.html

304 SS "should be pretty soft"???

Huh?

Stainless is pretty tough steel, definitely not soft!

To the OP, any of those gauges will act as a "heat shield". I would use the lightest as it will be the easiest to work. I think the important detail will be the spacing between the shield and the shielded.

Remember there is a big difference between a heat shield and a heat sink. No sheet metal will act as a heat sink unless it is extremely large relative to the heat input.

304 SS "should be pretty soft"???

Huh?

Stainless is pretty tough steel, definitely not soft!

O K.

12. What is the annealed condition?

Stainless steel is usually sold in the annealed condition. It just means that the material is in the soft or annealed condition. The 300 series of stainless steel cannot be hardened by heat treatment (like carbon steel) but can be hardened by cold working. This cold work can be eliminated by a heating treatment (annealing) that will restore the original soft condition.

304 Stainless Steel

Stainless steel 304 is an austenitic grade """"that can be severely deep drawn. """""
This property has resulted in 304 being the dominant grade used in applications like sinks and saucepans.

"Deep drawn"...........Means it's kinda' soft.............YMMV........:mug:

Back