What does wheat malt look like?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuckyboomboom

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Here's a silly one:
I bought some wheat malt at my LHBS. They had a bin labeled Avangard base wheat malt, but it looks almost exactly like barley malt. Are the two malts totally distinguishable or can they look fairly similar? I've done a couple of beers with wheat before, but can't remember if I had this same issue

Should look like this:

grain-lt-wheat-detail.png

If it's got a hull it probably is barley.

Wheat is quite harder than barley, and looks similar but slightly smaller huskless kernels than barley. If you compare by taking a few kernels of wheat and chewing them, then do the same with barley...you easily see the difference in hardness.

This hardness factor also comes into play when you mill your grains. Wheat doesn't grind as easily or finely with the mill set at the same gap setting as you grind barley.

Wheat is quite harder than barley, and looks similar but slightly smaller huskless kernels than barley. If you compare by taking a few kernels of wheat and chewing them, then do the same with barley...you easily see the difference in hardness.
This hardness factor also comes into play when you mill your grains. Wheat doesn't grind as easily or finely with the mill set at the same gap setting as you grind barley.

Morrey, they both chew and taste the same. I'm thinking it was mislabeled. Thanks

Morrey, they both chew and taste the same. I'm thinking it was mislabeled. Thanks
Yeah...wheat has definitely more "tooth" than barley. That's the best test I could describe. Rye has lots of tooth like wheat. Sounds like they put the wrong grain in the wrong bin.

IMG_0255.jpg
25 pounds of the stuff. It is labeled wheat can you tell if it’s malted or not?

It looks like torrified wheat. Think Sugar Smacks cereal. The kernal is gelatinized which allows the amylase enzymes from your base malt to convert. It will need to be mashed.

It looks like torrified wheat. Think Sugar Smacks cereal. The kernal is gelatinized which allows the amylase enzymes from your base malt to convert. It will need to be mashed.
awesome. But I still mill it right?

View attachment 578945 25 pounds of the stuff. It is labeled wheat can you tell if it’s malted or not?

Raw wheat is quite a bit harder than even malted wheat, and considerably chewier. Try eating a few kernels and if your teeth can make it through, it’s probably malted wheat.

Comparing them by sight alone is quite difficult. Check it out:
IMG_0179.jpg

Back