What does head type tell me about my beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Belgian Samurai

Reaction score
Hi,

So, as the title asks, how do I decifer the type of foam head on a beer? Rocky, creamy, etc.

Here are 4 progress pictures of this very hoppy beer I just tapped. I am having issues with pouring a glass of foam and waiting for it to dissipate to be able to drink it. My keezer runs between 37-38.5°F. This is the first beer to give me foaming issues, so I am wondering if it's due to the hops and yeast (kveik Voss).

How do you decipher the foam head on this beer? By the way, it's delicious!

Thanks,
Belgian Samurai

PXL_20210826_163638407.jpg PXL_20210826_170806352.jpg PXL_20210826_170810616.jpg PXL_20210826_173436068.jpg

You may have just over carbed the beer. Or, you could have a bad o-ring under the liquid out dip tube. This is pretty common and causes C02 to be drawn out of the keg headspace when pouring. The excess gas comes out of solution rapidly, causing the foaming.

I’ve had perpetual problems with this and believe it’s either a clogged poppet from dry hop material, a leaky liquid out o-ring, or more likely bad temp distribution in my kegerator allowing lines and shanks/taps to warm up. Sucks.

Back