What do you use to measure your gravity?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

t-bear

Reaction score
So i was just wondering what you guys prefer to use to measure your gravity?

I myself usually use a refractometer (amazon for like 30 bucks) to check during my mash and pre fermentation, and usually i like to use my hydrometer for post fermentation.

I am wondering how accurate the conversion and correction factors are for refractometer readings for post fermentation? Also my refrac and hydrometer are not "high quality" (i didnt pay much for them ~30 for the refrac and ~6 for the hydrometer) how much can this affect my readings.

Does anyone use high quality testing equipment, and if so do you really see a difference in results?

The reason i ask about the quality of the equipment is that sometimes it seems like my hydrometer doesnt always float straight, just wondering if this is due to the quality of the product. Also ive see refractometers up around 80 bucks and wondering if these really are better products (do you notice a difference).

I am certain the readings would be slightly different. better quality tools yield more accurate results. However, IMO the differences aren't going to ruin anything.

Next time you are done checking with the hydrometer, put a couple drops on the refractometer and see for yourself.

I only use a refractometer and the conversion tables. Mine always have been very close. I only payed $30 for my refractometer. Havent used a hydro in years. I dont care if Im a point or two off though, I just want to make sure it finished in the right general range.

yea i should probably try seeing what my refractometer says post fermentation...but im just worried my hydrometer is not accurate, but then i guess i should probably test it in water and see what it says

IMO, hydrometer is the way to go. I can see more variables being an issue with a refractometer. It measures the light passing through the liquid right? Well then it would seem that if you had a tiny bit of sediment or your color was off from steeping too long (if doing extract) those little things could affect your readings. In any case people use both, I'm sure you would be fine just picking whichever you are more comfortable with using since the difference would probably be small. If I were you i would probable end up using the refractometer simply because I payed 30 dollars for it... heh

Back