What do you think?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

6footbrewery

Reaction score
American Brown Ale 5Gal

DME-Amber 6lbs @60min
2 Row 1lbs Steep for 60min @ 150degrees
Cascade 2OZ @60min
Admiral 1OZ @5min
Safbrew Dry Ale Yeast 11.5G

OG 1.57
FG 1.011
ADV 6%
IBU 55

This is my first time making my own recipe. I know its basic but its a start. I added it all up it it was only $30 from Austin Homebrew.
The only way I will know if it is any good is to try it right? I would like to know what you guy think before I go and do this.
Thanks
6foot

Hiya!

There's not much point in steeping 2 row, you have to mash it. Use instead pale and amber DME and steep in some crystal malt. You could steep, for example, 1/2lb of crystal malt and 2oz chocolate malt. I'd change the hopping slightly (as I quite like some late cascade) to something around
60m 1oz Cascade, 1/2oz Admiral
5m 1oz Cascade, 1/2oz Admiral

Still, isn't 55IBU a tad high?

Hiya!

There's not much point in steeping 2 row, you have to mash it. Use instead pale and amber DME and steep in some crystal malt. You could steep, for example, 1/2lb of crystal malt and 2oz chocolate malt. I'd change the hopping slightly (as I quite like some late cascade) to something around
60m 1oz Cascade, 1/2oz Admiral
5m 1oz Cascade, 1/2oz Admiral

Still, isn't 55IBU a tad high?

Oh thank you for replaying. Yes 55 is a tad high, it should be about 40.
So your saying change it to 3lbs each of pale and amber DME and steep 1/2lb crystal malt and 2oz of chocolate malt? I like your hop schule better too. I will play with it on my recipe builder. Thanks

So I just changed the recipe and the IBU went up to 59. How do I make that go down? What if I left it?

Ok so I played with it agian and I think I got it. This is the new recipe:
Steeping Grains-
1/2lb-Crystal 20L 60min 150degrees
2oz-Chocolate malt 60min 150degrees
3lb-Amber DME @60min
3lb-Light DME @60min
.5oz-Admiral @60min
.5oz-Admiral @5min
2oz-Cascade @5min

Safbrew Yeast- T58

IBU 40
ABV 5.90%
OG-1.055
FG-1.010

The steeping grains don't seem like a lot but I think they will add a nice flavor to it.

I think the new grainbill is fine but it's not going to be a brown ale, more like an amber. If you're going for an American brown I would go with about 1/2 lb chocolate, and use a darker crystal like 40 or 60. You could also use all light DME and up the crystal if you wish. I've not used that yeast strain but isn't it for Belgian ales? For an american style you'd want S-05.

I'd go for darker crystal 50-60l rather than 20l. Also, t58 will finish very dry.

Back