What do you think the new fad for BMC will be?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you ever tried a Leinikugel's beer? Come to the north woods, try the difference...

The difference is a crap load of money and a much worse tasting beer with no passion and dick owners.

My girlfriend's dad left some sort of Leinkugel's at her place once, which she made me drink. I didn't really like it, but then, I just figured that since it wasn't a hoppy pale ale, I just didn't get it. I can't claim to be an expert, unfortunately.

Is Leinkugel's owned by BMC?

Is Leinkugel's owned by BMC?

It is owned by the M. I don't really get down on the big boys for doing there thing. But it does bother me when they try to play dress up and make fake micro beers. Leini's is my favorite example of this. Take super chepa beer, add flavor addatives, ferment as a lager, then label it as an ale style.

Yes, people like this beer. I don't understand how, but they do. I don't hate them for it, but I do hate Leini's for it.

I don't know if it's been mentioned, but the whole "triple hops brewed" thing cracks me up...

I'm guessing we'll be seeing more "ingredient/process quoting" going on in the ads...

Maybe it will be... *gasp*...

"BMC Co. presents: Beer made with malted grains as the fermentables, and detectable amounts of hops!".

Probably the least likely of all, including the urine idea.

F*ck you! That is a picture of my loving mother!

You're mom is the poster child for a health service campaign trying to keep women from drinking like men? Sweet!

Back to the OP's question. Budweiser will add another valve to the already multi-valved tank and run it to a new bottling line and call it _______(fill in the blank with something marketing came up with).

Am I wrong or is Bud wheat I see on every commercial being pushed at the wrong time of year? I think of wheat as a spring or summer beer. I just started see it being pushed in late fall now into winter.

Am I wrong or is Bud wheat I see on every commercial being pushed at the wrong time of year? I think of wheat as a spring or summer beer. I just started see it being pushed in late fall now into winter.

I'd imagine that most of Budweiser's intended customer base probably isn't aware that there is such a thing as a 'summer beer.'

I think bud drinkers don't care what time of year it is, they drink a tasteless light yellow colored liquid all year long already.

Is that any worse than Southern Tier releasing Creme Brulee as a summer seasonal?

Not necessarily a beer, more a marketing campaign, but I'm surprised I haven't seen one of 'em jump on the green band wagon. Personally, if I hear one more green initiative I think I might hurl, but it's definitely the new cool thing...

I mean, if they can make a stink out of natural spring water and triple hops brewing, why isn't someone using the "All Natural" ingredient slogan yet?

"We use nothing but the freshest spring water, live yeast, the finest organic grains, and pesticide free hops to brew the finest, freshest all natural beer available."

Almost like Wendy's and their fresh cut lettuce...

First I urge Denny to brew a Barleywine next! ;)

Secondly I NEVER ever get tired of bashing BMC or hearing BMC get bashed! They, particularly Bud, are simply soulless, crooked, commodity traders, hiding behind advertising, and posing as brewers! You'd have to look hard to find a more morally/spiritually/decency bankrupt group of individuals than those heading up Bud. I dislike them so much if given the choice between drinking their products and nothing, I CHOOSE NOTHING! Not to mention our lovely 3-tier system with a government mandated middle-man to prevent monopolies. Wow it's really working Bud only controls a little over half the market! Stepping down from my high horse.

As for what's next... really does it matter? I suspect it'll be 2 things, more 'high end' crafty ales like Michelob PA/Dunkelweizen and more 'private label' biers/brands like Stonemill.

Schlante,
Phillip

First I urge Denny to brew a Barleywine next! ;)

Secondly I NEVER ever get tired of bashing BMC or hearing BMC get bashed! They, particularly Bud, are simply soulless, crooked, commodity traders, hiding behind advertising, and posing as brewers! You'd have to look hard to find a more morally/spiritually/decency bankrupt group of individuals than those heading up Bud. I dislike them so much if given the choice between drinking their products and nothing, I CHOOSE NOTHING! Not to mention our lovely 3-tier system with a government mandated middle-man to prevent monopolies. Wow it's really working Bud only controls a little over half the market! Stepping down from my high horse.

As for what's next... really does it matter? I suspect it'll be 2 things, more 'high end' crafty ales like Michelob PA/Dunkelweizen and more 'private label' biers/brands like Stonemill.

Schlante,
Phillip

I agree, I openly try not to support these companies, not just because I don't like their product but what their business practices are such as holding out on vendors and going to a NET 120 payment schedule. I don't think they look at the end consumer as someone they want to please with their product but rather a pet that they feed with their product but the thing is that the consumer has to pay for their food.

They do have R&D and marketing money up the a$$ and can afford to try crazy ideas like some that we have seen

I see them coming out with more Bud American Ale or the Michelob Craft beer collection style beers which honestly aren't terrible.. I actually don't mind throwing back a couple American Ale if it's all I have in the house left over from a party... Most other BMC stuff just rots in my fridge...

I see them coming out with more Bud American Ale or the Michelob Craft beer collection style beers which honestly aren't terrible.. I actually don't mind throwing back a couple American Ale if it's all I have in the house left over from a party... Most other BMC stuff just rots in my fridge...

Yes, I am bad at throwing away beer, I have 1 MGD 64 in my house that is like a year and a half old. I just need to box that kinda **** up and dump it off in front of someone who would like it.

well since they have bud 55, i think miller will come out with a 0 calorie, triple hoped, ice brewed lager.

A great OP! very imaginative!

Whatever the next BMC fad is, it will probably need to be served at sub zero temperatures.....Enough said. ;)

I agree, I openly try not to support these companies, not just because I don't like their product but what their business practices are such as holding out on vendors and going to a NET 120 payment schedule. I don't think they look at the end consumer as someone they want to please with their product but rather a pet that they feed with their product but the thing is that the consumer has to pay for their food.

They do have R&D and marketing money up the a$$ and can afford to try crazy ideas like some that we have seen

Just today a Mass. senator introduced legislation to reduce the excise tax on smaller breweries. Info viewable here:
http://www.brewersassociation.org/attachments/0000/1372/HR_4278_floor_statement.pdf
Part of the reasoning he gives for doing this to aid smaller breweries is the fact that 2 multi-national corporations control more than 90% of American beer production! :drunk:

They're giants because of a myriad of things like hard work, luck, making their own luck, buying influence, putting the screws to the competition, etc. They've used all sorts of legal, illegal, and immoral efforts to attain their current prominent position. Nuff said... buy local & buy quality!

Schlante,
Phillip

I think it will be GREEN beer also got to save the world you know LOL Its funny for how crappy the BMC beers are there sure are a lot of people who seem to love them and hate micro brews. Not saying that is me but most say I am weird. I hope what ever it is it is better than there golden wheat crap

I think it will be GREEN beer also got to save the world you know LOL Its funny for how crappy the BMC beers are there sure are a lot of people who seem to love them and hate micro brews. Not saying that is me but most say I am weird. I hope what ever it is it is better than there golden wheat crap

This is, I agree, an interesting phenomena. I feel that the answer to the mystery as to why 90% of people drink the mainstream crap, is targeted marketing. Sounds simple, but think about it.... all the crap that people buy but do not need is filling a need that they suddenly have... People need beer for many reasons (social, taste, etc), but they *BELIEVE* they need to choose BMC as that is what everyone says is the popular choice (not to mention commercial ad campaigns etc feeding into the fact that people are lazy, and the quickest route to satisfaction and filling the social need of acceptance is going along with a popular choice).

But... I regress. If major BMC had some kind of limit to their ability to market and hog the market out of pure buying power, we would not live in a capitalist 'free market' and would probably be in china or something... nothing against china here.

So, IMO, we cannot live without crappy brands that most people buy simply because they are too lazy/dont care to explore complexity because it is part of our society's nature. Imagine how scary the "ignorant" masses were in medieval times? Dont even want to think about that...

Rant over! NOthing against those who drink the stuff personally, I hope I did not misrepresent. :tank:

I really suggest you all read "Ambitous Brew" - it's a great book and explains so much about the history of beer in America.

Almost everone on this forum rips on BMC --- but, think about it. Why is Bud Light the best selling beer in the world???? Demand = supply

Read the book; it's a good one....

This is, I agree, an interesting phenomena. I feel that the answer to the mystery as to why 90% of people drink the mainstream crap, is targeted marketing. Sounds simple, but think about it.... all the crap that people buy but do not need is filling a need that they suddenly have... People need beer for many reasons (social, taste, etc), but they *BELIEVE* they need to choose BMC as that is what everyone says is the popular choice (not to mention commercial ad campaigns etc feeding into the fact that people are lazy, and the quickest route to satisfaction and filling the social need of acceptance is going along with a popular choice).

But... I regress. If major BMC had some kind of limit to their ability to market and hog the market out of pure buying power, we would not live in a capitalist 'free market' and would probably be in china or something... nothing against china here.

So, IMO, we cannot live without crappy brands that most people buy simply because they are too lazy/dont care to explore complexity because it is part of our society's nature. Imagine how scary the "ignorant" masses were in medieval times? Dont even want to think about that...

Rant over! NOthing against those who drink the stuff personally, I hope I did not misrepresent. :tank:

While I agree on your general feeling about the free-market, etc. There is possibly something you're not factoring in. Because of Bud's monopoly, make no mistake that's what it is, they influence EVERY piece of legislation related to bier. I'd bet dollars to donuts their lobbyist fight the bill I referenced in my previous post.

I'm a very small part of the effort to get the abv limit raised and homebrewing legalized in MS. Our biggest struggle is to get the Misisipi Malt Bev. Assoc. on board, because without them the bills won't even get out of committee. It's simple, there's one lobbyist that has input on EVERY bill associated with alcohol. If he says no, 90% of congressmen say no. All this means is that we aren't actually competing in a free-market. Small breweries are competing against a stacked deck yet continue to grow because while most of the public is gullible there are a few people with their BS radar up! Now we've/I've thoroughly hi-jacked the thread I'll shut-up!

Algae beer, flavored with sea weed and patchouli oil?

Patchouli oil... that's classic! Perhaps they'll go green and start recycling motor-oil. Perhaps Vita-Beer is somewhere on the horizon.

Schlante,
Phillip

I second (or third or whatever) hops. Right now the micro craze is IPAs. Every micro in America has one these days. The trend will get big enough that the macros take notice and they'll pitch their own. And honestly, if they do cut down on the IBUs from these magaton IBU monsters the micros are currently producing, I'll welcome it.

I also think some of the old regionals coming back with "original recipes" will lead to something along the lines of Coors Classic, Bud Classic, etc.

michelob has been on the store shelve around here again. Last i saw it was probably in the 80's. MLight around for longer.

I would predict that with all these fruity/lime/wheat/energy/super-low-calorie type beers out there, people will get tired and start to turn back to 'regular' beer. I can see BMC predicting this and start pushing "core" brands and maybe even dusting off some old "classic" recipes and pushing them.

While I agree on your general feeling about the free-market, etc. There is possibly something you're not factoring in. Because of Bud's monopoly, make no mistake that's what it is, they influence EVERY piece of legislation related to bier. I'd bet dollars to donuts their lobbyist fight the bill I referenced in my previous post.

I'm a very small part of the effort to get the abv limit raised and homebrewing legalized in MS. Our biggest struggle is to get the Misisipi Malt Bev. Assoc. on board, because without them the bills won't even get out of committee. It's simple, there's one lobbyist that has input on EVERY bill associated with alcohol. If he says no, 90% of congressmen say no. All this means is that we aren't actually competing in a free-market. Small breweries are competing against a stacked deck yet continue to grow because while most of the public is gullible there are a few people with their BS radar up! Now we've/I've thoroughly hi-jacked the thread I'll shut-up!

Nah, dont shut up you make a good point!! I definitely agree that when Big Business starts throwing money around, democracy becomes... well, bull-s^%$-ocracy for lack of a better word. Its so sad, but when I think of these things my mind starts to wander to the alternative.... is there really a better system? All of them are flawed... it might seem that the other ones are worse. Anyway, this is a beer forum... so back to the beer.

In summary, people buy BMC en-mass versus more complex beers for many of the the same reasons people buy fast food burgers over fresh food burgers.... they do not really have much of a choice, and methinks it will stay that way in general.

I just wish I could walk into beer stores up here in Canada and see equal shelving space allocated to unique crafted brews :cross:

Fixed it for you.

Not quite accurate. The people that the lobbyists are influencing are still democratically elected; what you're pointing out is just a potential flaw associated with the system. Now you could argue the implications of this for the concept of a democratic republic in general, but that's a different discussion.

This kind of segways into my on-topic answer, anyway. I think the next fad for BMC will be doing whatever they can do hold down the microbrew market. They'll probably try a lot of lobbying to keep the current restricitve, post-Prohibition laws in place, and I'm sure they'll continue the trend of advertising themselves as craft beers. In the end, though, I think this is a battle they won't win. Sure, BMC will always have a large place in the beer market, but it won't be nearly as big.

Back