What do you think my FG will be?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WildOnions

Reaction score
Just wondering if someone could give me a ball park number:

Briess Pilsen Extra Light Liquid Extract
6 lbs, 0 oz
Cane Sugar
1 lbs, 0 oz
Briess 2 Row Caramel 40
0 lbs, 8 oz
Northern Brewer Pellets
1 oz @ 60 mins
Cascade Pellets
1 oz @ 5 mins
Brewer's Garden Sweet Orange Peel
1 oz @ 5 mins

Yeast: Wyeast Labs French Saison 3711 (no starter, yeah yeah, I know)

OG: 1.051

Fermenting temps: started at 72, and letting it work its way up to whatever, moving up about 2 degrees a day.

I'd expect somewhere in the 1.007 range, but obviously, you just need to measure.

Just wondering if someone could give me a ball park number:

Briess Pilsen Extra Light Liquid Extract
6 lbs, 0 oz
Cane Sugar
1 lbs, 0 oz
Briess 2 Row Caramel 40
0 lbs, 8 oz
Northern Brewer Pellets
1 oz @ 60 mins
Cascade Pellets
1 oz @ 5 mins
Brewer's Garden Sweet Orange Peel
1 oz @ 5 mins

Yeast: Wyeast Labs French Saison 3711 (no starter, yeah yeah, I know)

OG: 1.051

Fermenting temps: started at 72, and letting it work its way up to whatever, moving up about 2 degrees a day.

That yeast should get it nice and dry. How dry? Hard to say. What % of attenuation do you usually get from that strain in your house? Or if you haven't used it before, check out what Wy says about the attenuation % and expect middle to high end of that range.

my math says it should probably end up between 1.012-1.009. I've used 3711 a couple of times recently and had it overachieve and drop down to 1.002 and such for similar gravity beers. It does well with higher temps too, throws off lots of nice esters. Looks like you can expect a good 5% to 5.5% abv saison.

I recently brewed a 1.065 saison and used that yeast, no starter. Finished at 1.004, so you shouldn't have an issue finishing dry.

never used 3711 before, so no estimate on attenuation outside of what wyeast provides, but those seem conservative perhaps based on what some people have experienced. Anything sub 1.008 and I will be more than thrilled, obviously it will finish where its going to finish though and I will measure in about 2.5 weeks to see.

Back