What do you need a 0-40% BRIX & 1.000-1.180 Refract for?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SnowRaven

Reaction score
I just got a BREWfractometer Brix 0-32% & 1.000-1.140 Wort SG Beer Brew Refractometer in the mail today

But was wondering why I would need a BREWfractometer Extreme 0-40% Brix & Wort SG Beer Refractometer Sugar 0-40% BRIX & 1.000-1.180 ?

Upgraded from a bobber style glass hydromete

Just wondering if I should have gotten the 1.180 ? (have 60 days to swap it out)

I think that's more for making spirits. I don't think you would need the bigger version. Plus it depends on if you're planning to make a beer bigger than the max reading. That alone should be good enough to make your decision. If it were me I'd just keep the one you have. Good luck! Be sure to check it's calibrated and to also check it with a known gravity mixture.

Get some DME and know that 1# of DME in 1 gallon of water should give you about 1.045 gravity. So if you don't want to waste a whole pound just accurately scale it down. Like 0.5# DME in 0.5 gal = 1.045 etc.

Any suggestions on where you get a known gravity mix?

Make one. 10 gram of table sugar in 100 ml of regular water should be just around 1.030.

And I don't really see when the 1.140-1.180 range should be useful in terms of brewing beer. I'd stick with the one you got.

Only reason I can see it so the lines are even closer together you really can't make out where your wort is at :D
Before you use it read up on here about the issues with some SG refractometers - some of them have an incorrect scale that becomes apparent at above 1.070 or so (scale used the SG = °P * 4 approximation that is corrcet ofr only lower SG instead of the correct formula)

Only reason I can see it so the lines are even closer together you really can't make out where your wort is at :D
Before you use it read up on here about the issues with some SG refractometers - some of them have an incorrect scale that becomes apparent at above 1.070 or so (scale used the SG = °P * 4 approximation that is corrcet ofr only lower SG instead of the correct formula)

Agreed

This one claims to be adjusted, sold by WWW.NISSALES.COM - National Industrial Supply
and seems to have no complaints beside people getting the wrong item
Got it from their Ebay Store for $55 delivered - a $10 Ebay bucks coupon = $45

Thier Claim "We actually corrected the flawed scale of the other units after seeing that the SG of the old refractometers and a hydrometer weren't the same. The old scale was a linear formula that leads to incorrect readings. The higher the Brix content, the more inaccurate it became"

Back