What do you like to do while mashing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heating up sparge water
Drinking a homebrew
Finding the boil kettle
Drinking a homebrew
Measuring the boil hops
Drinking a homebrew
Measuring the hop additions
Drinking a homebrew
Measuring the boil water additions
Drinking a homebrew
Trying to find the whirlfloc
Drinking a homebrew
Finding the airlock, carboy, and siphon hose
Going to the bathroom...
Making up some Starsan
Drinking a homebrew
Finding the bottle for Starsan
Sterilizing the carboy, airlock, siphon hose, and thermometer
Drinking a homebrew
Finding the hydrometer
Going to the bathroom....
Filling out the brew sheets
Drinking a homebrew
Correcting the brew sheets
Drinking a homebrew
Trying to remember what I was doing
Remembering what I was doing
Going to the bathroom, thinking I shouldn't drink while homebrewing
Wondering how I'll get through the boil, cool down, and transfer with all this beer in me....

Actually, this last session was a bit hectic - mainly because I recently moved and couldn't find anything. And there were fewer "drinking a homebrew" steps as I didn't have the time.......

+1 on Coffee and Breakfast. The mash is most important... my sustenance comes in at a close number 2.

Sometimes, when I'm really unprepared, I use the 60 minutes to run fill up my propane bottle that I didn't realize was near-empty (and the spare is empty).

Drink heavily during that hour and constantly check the mash temp, like every 2-3 minutes. Also worry about everything that may go wrong. This assumes I'm off my obsessive/compulsive meds. Otherwise, just relax and watch a movie...

take a swim, medal in the garage, go to the garden, turn the burner on for sparge water with about 15 mins left as the heatstick keeps it warm(i heat all water for the mash and boil together)

I do a little cleaning in the garage. When the boil starts, I just sit and drink and post on facebook from my phone :)

Back