What do you do with your spent grains?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob2010SS

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've been trying to find a good way to dispose of spent grains. I'm thinking I'm just going to buy some heavy duty bags that'll hold the weight, bag them and throw them in the garbage can. They don't seem to compost very well...? (By compost, I mean spread out at the base of a pine tree lol).

Anyone have any creative ways of disposing of spent grains? I'm not looking to bake with them or anything crazy like that.

Step One: convince your neighbor to raise a dozen chickens.

The neighbors on our north side did that and it's been easy living for me ever since.
The chickens go batpoopy when they see me rolling my two-wheeler over before I even get to the property line :)

Cheers!

I compost.
Ok, so I know nothing about composting. Is it a simple as just having a pile of shtuff that you just keep dumping on and let it do its thing or is there more to it than that?

I've gone the dumping in a pile route like i said and it doesn't seem to go anywhere lol. Not that i expect it to magically disappear but it's been like a year and a half. Maybe I'm impatient?

There really is no taste or starch left in the grains, I just dump them out in the woods, the deer and squirrels don’t even bother with them. Before I moved to the country, the grain was a problem, I would have to put it in 2 bags and put it in the trash. 20 lbs of grains turns into 40 lbs wet.

There really is no taste or starch left in the grains, I just dump them out in the woods, the deer and squirrels don’t even bother with them. Before I moved to the country, the grain was a problem, I would have to put it in 2 bags and put it in the trash. 20 lbs of grains turns into 40 lbs wet.
Yeah that's my problem. My latest batch was 50lbs of grain when it was dry. Trying to get rid of that sucks lol

I doubt pups would enjoy the rice hulls I use on occasion. I left one batch for the deer once and I think it pissed them off.
Only the chickens mess with those batches, they can pick the eye out of a gnat so avoiding hulls is nbd for them.

btw, the average home brewer's extract efficiency is likely in the low 80s, leaving the rest of the potential energy to waste. That ain't bean bag...

Cheers! ;)

Some (while still wet) i mix with oats and make a porridge. I grind some into flour and save some to add to flour to make bread and pizza dough. I can’t keep it all so I feed birds, at least I hope they eat it and not something else I’m my yard 😳

1. Make spent grain "flour": get a rimmed baking sheet (or 3) and spread 4 cups of spent grain on each sheet, this should get you about 1/4" deep which is usually half the depth of a standard rimmed baking sheet. Put them in the oven on the lowest setting you can get your oven to stay at (mine is 190ºF) and after two or three hours gently turn the grains over without spilling them all over the oven. Then leave them drying out with the oven on overnight. In the morning they should be crispy, kind of like an annoyingly healthy cereal. Throw them in a food processor and blitz them until they are a fine powder. This can be used to replace up to 15% of your standard flour. Because they've had most of the starches removed, doing so increases the fiber and protein content in whatever you're baking. I've heard numbers as high as a 50% increase in fiber and protein. I have made a sourdough starter which is far more robust than the one I had made from whole wheat flour, and I use it in breads and pizza dough.
2. Dog treats: 4 cups wet brewing grain, 4 cups AP flour, 1 cup peanut butter, 1 overripe banana, 2 eggs. Mix until it forms a paste. Grease a rimmed baking sheet with bacon grease (butter, oil of some sort, but dogs will not hate you if you use bacon grease) then spread the mixture evenly over the baking sheet. Precut your dog treats, bake for 2 hours at 350º, then lower the temperature to its lowest setting and let dry out for 10 hours or until crispy.
3: Compost the rest.

i dump mine in my planter bed....must go somewhere because i've been dumping 20lbs a week for 7 years, and it's still not full....i know i get huge (don't know they're called when as big as your thumb)....they must like it....

edit: grubs was what i was trying to think of....

Last edited:
I have a swamp behind me where I can easily dump them. 5 years ago I saw a rabbit nibbling on then. Then a deer, then a coyote. I didn't want to be responsible for the deer being ate by coyotes, so I tossed them on shrubs/trees on the side and never saw animals again.

I put mine in my compost heap. The trick is to have a fair amount of other yard scraps (grass clippings, leaves, etc.) and then you must turn the grains into the soil to get them to break down. I used to do it by hand, now I have a small tiller that I run in my compost heap about once a month or two.

9-10 lbs go in the trash, the rest makes bread. The recipe is pretty popular, so I've been dropping 1 lb bags off with friends who make their own bread. I use:
  • 2.5 cups spent grain
  • 4 cups of all-purpose flour
  • 0.5 teaspoon of instant baking yeast
  • 1.5 teaspoons of salt
  • Enough water to make it into a sticky ball (about 400 ml). You have to adjust this depending on how wet the grains are.
Leave it in a large bowl covered in cling film for 18 hours to rise. Then take it out, shape it into a ball, fold it over on itself a few times, cover with flour, and let rise between two cotton towels (not terry cloth) for 4 hours.

Preheat oven containing a dutch oven (or cast iron pot) to 450F. When the oven is hot, put the dough in the pot and bake for 30 mins with the lid on. Take the lid off and bake for another 20-30 mins until the crust is brown.

61637369721__52BC7947-F79F-4A40-B9FB-9CFCCFD2C92C.jpeg

Last edited:
Those of you that feed farm animals (goats chickens) how long can the grains 'sit' before they are no longer go to use as feed. My niece has a farmette with goats and chickens but is over an hour away. Would be nice to give them to her.

We have 10 chickens and they love them. I give them some right after we brew then have a compost pile the rest go in. The compost pile is by the chicken coop so when we let them out they run over to eat more spent grain or after a few weeks all the bugs living in the spent grains.

I re-bag them, put them in the freezer for my wife to use for baking. Occasionally the chickens get some. Hadn't thought about sharing them with the goats, I'm sure they'd like the grains as much or even more so than the chickens.

Definitely compostible with the right mix of other yard/food scraps. Sometimes too I just put dried grains and hop dust into my fertilizer spreader to feed my lawn.

Those of you that feed farm animals (goats chickens) how long can the grains 'sit' before they are no longer go to use as feed. My niece has a farmette with goats and chickens but is over an hour away. Would be nice to give them to her.

I have a 20 gallon shop vac bottom (top went to appliance heaven years ago) and I dump spent grains in that, roll it into the garage, let it cool overnight, then strap that to a two-wheeler and take it to the chickens.

Usually - even now in the heat of summer - the garage stays cool enough that the grains don't start stinking overnight, but give it another 24 hours and it gets pretty darned rank...

Cheers!

Spent grains start souring VERY quickly - like hours after they leave the mash tun. If you compost, the smell can be pretty bad, but fairly brief - a day or so. You can avoid the smell by making sure it's covered by just scant inch or so of soil.

At a a local small craft brewery, I noticed their spent grains in an outdoor shed from a mash they did that morning. I asked what they did with it. They send it to a local pig farm. Knowing about the quick souring and smell I asked how quickly they delivered to the farm - usually within a day. The pigs actual love the stuff that's been, ahem, "maturing" for a day or so... Go nuts for the stuff.

I've never had much success drying spent grains to use as flour, etc. Too stinky for me.

I compost them too. My dog was getting into them where they were in the garden bin. I then tried dumping directly in the garden beginning of spring. That stank! Now, I put them in the tumbling composter we have near the backdoor. I made some doggie treats out of a batch too. There's some nutritional content left and the dogs like the peanut butter. Much better than dubious treat content from overseas.

Compost needs a good mix of "greens and browns", some water, and needs to be aerated/turned once in a while. You know you are getting it right if the pile is warm.

I have a big freezer that I use to freeze extracted frames from my bee hives. I bag up 3-5 pounds per bag and freeze. I have an apiary next to free range chickens so over the course of a week I help feed the chickens. I try not to overwhelm them with all the grain at once.

Spent Grain Thread

What to do with spent grains?

Spent Grain Poll

How do you repurpose used grain?

What do you do with your spent grains?

Ideally I dry and crush them, then save them for pizza dough and waffle batter. Lately I have composted. You can mix some ash from your fire pit or wood fired furnace in with the spent grain and it helps keep them from getting smelly.

If I lived closer to my in-laws I'd give some to chickens.

I think next brew day I'll be saving them again, rather than composting.

Last edited:
My neighbors just got a dozen or so chickens and haven't wanted to use my grains because they're not certified organic. After a few months they quickly found out how expensive organic chicken food is and they have started asking when I'm going to brew again lol.

I have several people around town that will pick up grains and give me a dozen eggs in exchange.

Before I found all these people to take the grains off my hands I'd bag it up and take it to our local zoo and they seemed happy to take it.

We're having a first annual Oktoberfest block party this year so I think I'm going to try my hand at making some spent grain pretzels. Cheers!

variety of things
if I'm feeling lazy, I'll dig a big hole in the side garden on the other side of my backyard fence drop it in there and cover it up with dirt.
or maybe I'll dump some into my worm composter. I've got a really stinky one (just a big pot full of dirt, coffee grounds and fruit scraps) and a proper stacking worm house.
or I'll ziplock a couple bags and throw them in the freezer
or I'll dry 3 big cookie pans worth...because that is all my oven will fit and it takes for flippin ever...
or maybe make some bread with the wet grain straight away...
think I've used either dried grains or ground dried grains so far in..sourdough bread, sandwich bread, a couple different cookie recipes and banana bread.

I've been thinking about asking a neighbor down the street if they would be interested in taking some off of my hands as they have some fancy chickens hanging out in their yard. Too much talking and explaining why I'm standing at their door in covid times....this can wait.

There is a micro brewery not that far from me that donates their grains to a local farmer and I have asked them if I could bring my own by to donate as well in the past. But..I was only a casual fan of their beer...and they seem to have gotten worse in quality the past few months. "Here are some grains that I wanted to donate to the farmer you guys know....no....I don't want any of your beer, sorry." Convo that I'm not really wanting to have.

I let the grains cool, dump in a contractor bag, place the bag in a suitable box of the cardboard persuasion, wrap it shut with duct tape and subsequently toss it in the oversized green roll out garbage bin. Works quite well. I bet that's what everyone else is doing, but are too ashamed to admit it.
You lost me after the contractor bag 😉

Do you have a local vegetable or CSA farm? I have a local one that has a big compost pile that I used to take mine too.

Depending on my house I dug a big hole and dumped them in, fed them to my chickens, when I had a lot of chickens they would eat 30lbs of grains in an afternoon. Now I just got 5 and in the beginning they didn’t want any parts of them but I just saw this the other day.

Attachments

• 113FC077-E115-407A-AB1E-ADD9961CB73B.jpeg
    113FC077-E115-407A-AB1E-ADD9961CB73B.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 132
I've been giving some thought to using some of it as a substrate to grow mushrooms. Maybe add some coffee grounds to it.

I feed the spent grains to my chickens. They love them. I also have been known to compost them as well and use them in the vegetable garden. Both are great ways to utilize the grains after mashing.

John

I let the grains cool, dump in a contractor bag, place the bag in a suitable box of the cardboard persuasion, wrap it shut with duct tape and subsequently toss it in the oversized green roll out garbage bin. Works quite well. I bet that's what everyone else is doing, but are too ashamed to admit it.

This is called "projection".

Cheers! ;)

Unlike every single other person here, I don't have a back forty, chickens, neighbors with chickens, goats, neighbors with goats, desire to bake with them, a large compost pile, or knowledge of where the closest hungry pig is. I do, however, live in a suburban neighborhood with trash collection. Included is yard debris pick-up. So I dump grains in there. They will absolutely sour very quick let. The hotter the quicker so I keep the bin at the side of the house and hold breath if I need to open or move the thing.

Latest posts

Back