What do you do with the fruit in JAOM?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

b_sieh

Reaction score
After primary fermentation, I mean. Do you just throw it away?

Has anyone ever squeezed the extra juices out of the fruit?

Is there any reason why you shouldnt do this?

Thanks!

With JAO, there's only the one fermentation if you follow the recipe. Whether you wait for the fruit to drop is your choice. Likewise squeezing or pressing the fruit.

What you will find, is that some sediment will hang on the fruit, so press/squeeze and you're likely to have to let it clear/settle again.

Bread yeast doesn't flocculate very well and it's easy to bring it back into suspension...

I just was curious, since it would obviously have soaked up some if the mead. I don't want to waste any, plus help make sure I get all of the flavors from the fruit.

Thanks guys!

Go ahead and squish it out or eat it if you want.... Nothing stopping you from doing that.... Most everyone here has probably tasted the grapes that you pull back out of Joe's Ancient Orange.....

It usually doesn't taste too good - all the "Sweet" and "Fruity" is long gone... Replaced with "Squishy", "Bland", and "Yeasty"....

Back