What do you do while mashing in??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abeasst

Reaction score
What do you do during your 60 or 90 minute mash? Drink a beer? Sanitize? Drink 6 beers? Make babies?:tank:

I typically like to drink a couple beers and then get everything setup to sparge.

I either prep carboys and whatnot, or if everything is already done I tackle some items from the honey-do list to gain some goodwill

I brew in the morning, so I reserve some hot water for a French press and while the coffee is steeping, I'll fry an egg. After that, I smoke a....

While mashing in? Stir and check the temperature, of course.

While mashing? I usually make/eat breakfast, then get the sparge water up to temperature and set up the grant/pump to recirculate for the last 10 minutes of the mash.

I usually bottle if I have something that is ready.

Rack to bottling bucket while mash water is heating. Mash in. Start bottling. Done long before the mash is finished.

This morning I nursed the baby, changed a diaper and helped my two girls with their homeschool work :). Now I'm boiling with a napping baby wrapped to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Just a regular day around here. And why I stick to small batches!

Measure and heat sparge water.
Make sanitizer and prep carboy.
Pull out the propane burner and get it set up in the back yard.
Measure out my hops and additions.
Have a beer.
Bring mash out water to a boil.
Dust off grain mill.

Clean as you go, that's the key.

I cook breakfast and eat it while mashing in.

If it hasn't already been mentioned, taking PH readings and adjusting if necessary should be part of mashing in.

Edit
Forgot to add that I cook breakfast for the family, not just me. It helps the Mrs not mind so much that I'm brewing again.

I usually measure out the hops, refill the HLT, acidify the sparge water, prep the boil salts/whirlfloc/nutrient, hook up the plate chiller to the in and out hoses, fill the fermenter with star san, set the temp on the ferm chamber, and then grind any specialty grains that I may be adding to the mash late, once all that's done I'll plop down on the brewing couch and relax.

I use the mash as my time to get things ready, that way during the boil I can concentrate on cleaning.

I normally brew on weekends which also is my smoked bbq time so while mashing i start up the reverse flow smoker, get a good clean burn, prep meat, rub, and somewhere when possible ill throw the meat on, sanitize carboys, funnels, air lock etc.

I always brew early Saturday morning. The kids are just waking up when I mash in. So, I take the kids to the coffee shop (Peet's). It also helps the wife sleep-in so she is less upset to find me brewing again!

I normally brew on weekends which also is my smoked bbq time so while mashing i start up the reverse flow smoker, get a good clean burn, prep meat, rub, and somewhere when possible ill throw the meat on, sanitize carboys, funnels, air lock etc.

This ^^^ except on a WSM.

I always brew early Saturday morning. The kids are just waking up when I mash in. So, I take the kids to the coffee shop (Peet's). It also helps the wife sleep-in so she is less upset to find me brewing again!

well played.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

-Measure out hops (all in frozen, vacuum sealed jars so they need to all be resealed once done).
-Heat sparge water
-Browse HBT
-Sanitize what will eventually need sanitizing.
-Maybe a quick workout? Nah, a beer, I'll start a workout regimen "tomorrow."

Latest posts

Back