What do I need to start in wine making?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Q2XL

Reaction score
I have been all-grain brewing for a few months now and would like to try my hand at wine making. I ferment in 6-gallon glass carboys. Can anyone let me know what extra equipment I need to start making wine?

Thanks.

I have been all-grain brewing for a few months now and would like to try my hand at wine making. I ferment in 6-gallon glass carboys. Can anyone let me know what extra equipment I need to start making wine?

Thanks.

Well I've never brewed beer so I don't know what equipment is universal in both wine and beer making aside from the obvious hydrometers, carboys, racking equipment and the like.

Depending on what kind of wine you will be making you will probably want to get a supply of yeast nutrient and energizer, some pectic enzyme, acid blend, wine and grape tannins, some fining agents, buckets for primary fermentation and a straining bag for fruits, and an acid testing kit. I know there is much more but those are the basics. I will let the more experienced chime in with the things I've missed - I'm just a newbie.

Frankly, assuming you're talking about traditional grape wine, I'd recommend you try a couple of kits. Then you wouldn't have to fool with enzymes and nutrients and acid blends and all that crap.

All you really need to add to your equipment is a bucket fermenter, 7.5 to 8 gallons, and a corker. A floor corker for $50-$60 is 50 times better than a $25 hand corker. A floating thermometer is good too, and of course you'll need to buy some corks.

With a kit, you just ferment in the bucket for 1-2 weeks, transfer to secondary (your 6-gallon carboys are perfect) for a couple more weeks, then add some clarifying agents (included in kit), rack again and let it set a spell. Kits range from $60 or $70 on the low end to $120 and even more for the high-end kits. At 30 bottles per kit, that'll come out to about $2 to $4 per bottle, plus corks and such. For this you can easily get wine that's worth twice to three times as much when compared to store-bought.

All I added to my equipment was a corker and a couple 6 gallon secondaries. Get the word out to your friends to start saving wine bottles and you will be set.

Frankly, assuming you're talking about traditional grape wine, I'd recommend you try a couple of kits. Then you wouldn't have to fool with enzymes and nutrients and acid blends and all that crap.

or thinking or being creative.

He would need all that crap if he were going to dabble in some fruit wines or meads.

So you swear by the kits - concentrates vs fresh grape juice? I've been wondering how good they are.

Sure, for the money you get a lot more wine, and it gives you the opportunity to sample varieties from around the world, but are they any good? Are some brands superior to others?

I just bought a kit and will be trying it, but it just doesn't seem like it will be as much fun. Just about anyone can follow directions.

I know, this is getting :off:

If you really want to get into wine making I would recommend a pH meter and a proper wine hydrometer, though its not necessary if you are just using kits.
Making wine from grapes is great fun but more work and more risky. The results are not necessarily better than a kit, it depends on the grapes, but you can have great fun and learn a lot.
To have the most fun (and frustration) plant your own small vineyard.

I just wanted to be the juice from on the the beer stores like Austin Homebrewers.

Is there a reason that the juice would have not be fermented in the plastic pail(promary) and then transferred to a glass carboy?

Can I just primary in the glass carboy? If so, does the juice leave stains on the glass?

I primary in the "ale pail" and then use carboys after that. Glass doesn't stain. I've used many wine kits, and they've all been enjoyable. Some are better quality than others, and in this case, you really do get what you pay for. The cheaper kits ($60-75) make decent wine that is ready to drink soon. They aren't deep and complex, but very much like a $5-7 bottle of wine. The more expensive kits tend to be more complex and have ingredients such as grape skins so they take more aging and are deeper in flavor. They can be like a $15-20 bottle of wine. I use the cheaper kits as quick and easy table wines, but like the depth and flavor of the more expensive kits when serving to guests.

Wine kits are super easy. Follow the directions exactly (except you can age in the carboy a bit longer, instead of rushing to bottle) and you'll be happy with any of them.

All I added to my equipment was a corker and a couple 6 gallon secondaries. Get the word out to your friends to start saving wine bottles and you will be set.
Be careful what you ask for
I had hundreds of bottles from friend before I yelled uncle. Italian restaurants recycling bins are great for uniform bottles

Be careful what you ask for
I had hundreds of bottles from friend before I yelled uncle. Italian restaurants recycling bins are great for uniform bottles

This is true. On the last load from one of my wine drinking friends, they filled the entire back of hubby's SUV with the seats down. I now have enough for the next four batches of wine. :D

or thinking or being creative.

He would need all that crap if he were going to dabble in some fruit wines or meads.

So you swear by the kits - concentrates vs fresh grape juice? I've been wondering how good they are.

Sure, for the money you get a lot more wine, and it gives you the opportunity to sample varieties from around the world, but are they any good? Are some brands superior to others?

I just bought a kit and will be trying it, but it just doesn't seem like it will be as much fun. Just about anyone can follow directions.

I know, this is getting :off:
Wow, who put a bug up your butt with the anti-kit screed? All I said was he wouldn't need much equipment if it he wants to go with grape wine kits. Then I thought I should explain what that entails. Sorry if your life sucks.

Juice/fruit, yeast nutrient, yeast energizer, D.A.P (diammonium phosphate), your choice of wine yeast. If you've been brewing all grain, you've got everything you need. Tho if you bottle in traditional wine bottles, you'll also need a corker & corks. Save the fruit press & such for later when you want to expand the hobby. That's my 2 cents worth. Regards, GF.

Back