What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
7417EE9F-7A5C-4B41-BE4A-CD37543E419B.jpeg

Collars, rice and salad.

@davidabcd - Net carbs is just total carbs less fiber carbs and any sugar alcohol carbs. Some folks don't believe in that and only use total carbs. We use net carbs. To each their own.

For bread, I make a keto waffle (20 at a time!) and freeze them. KOTC uses them as sandwich bread and likes them better than anything else we've tried because the little waffle holes capture any condiments and hold them in the sandwich! I also make Serious Keto's 90 Second Tortillas which are great for lots of things, my favorite is to shallow-fry them and then use them for tostadas and for cinnamon crispas. They work as a wrap too. We do the sort of keto where we don't eat any sugar or wheat products and mostly avoid grains in general. Has been working well for us for a couple years now!

We do the sort of keto where we don't eat any sugar or wheat products and mostly avoid grains in general. Has been working well for us for a couple years now!
That's basically what I do except when I cut loose once in a while (pizza).

That's basically what I do except when I cut loose once in a while (pizza).

LOL, we love pizza. We finally found a company that makes a really nice pizza crust of decent size. They're not cheap but they're the best we've eaten, whether homemade or purchased, since starting keto so I keep several in the freezer! The company is Soooketolicious Sooo Ketolicious - Keto Friendly Online Store if you care to look them up.

We make an "everything" pizza on them and then we also just bake the crust til it's crispy and let it cool, then spread with seasoned cream cheese, sprinkled with finely diced onion, thinly sliced Serrano peppers, and capers fried til crispy in olive oil, then top with lox-style salmon and put a few grinds of pepper on top. Man it's good!

if you care to look them up.
I'm always on the prowl for ideas. Thanks., I definitely will.
My general menu would basically be meat and vegetables (corn, potatoes and other starchy ones I'll have as a treat). I get plenty of carbs from the veggies even with jogging three-four times a week. I'm not great at eating fruit but I do a whole array of vitamins and minerals.
1/2 t of sugar a day in my espresso.
I have found that Keto/Atkins (maintenance) is kind of common-sense eating. I don't know where the X amount of servings of fruit came from but that's a lot of sugar and seems counterintuitive.

Great idea! And, you carved little faces on the mummy dogs! :)
Yeah, mummy dog faces are yellow mustard :) I made a ton of those with little smokies sausages and took them to work a couple of years ago with a jalapeno mustard dip and they were a big hit. Had a couple of sausages and a couple of hot dogs left from pretzel dogs, had a can of crescent rolls in the fridge, and had a hungry grandson, so I just scaled up to full size. Quite tasty actually :)

P.S. I saw chef John do the jack'o'lantern faces on bell peppers on youtube. I did not use his recipe, but I did steal the idea :)

I'm always on the prowl for ideas. Thanks., I definitely will.
My general menu would basically be meat and vegetables (corn, potatoes and other starchy ones I'll have as a treat). I get plenty of carbs from the veggies even with jogging three-four times a week. I'm not great at eating fruit but I do a whole array of vitamins and minerals.
1/2 t of sugar a day in my espresso.
I have found that Keto/Atkins (maintenance) is kind of common-sense eating. I don't know where the X amount of servings of fruit came from but that's a lot of sugar and seems counterintuitive.
The only fruit we generally eat would be avocados (frequently) and tomatoes (on occasion) - I do make a SF cranberry jalapeño sauce for Thanksgiving but otherwise, very little fruit passes through this house!

poolish long.jpg

Got a poolish there. Super happy about making some pizza on Saturday. I don't have a 700°F outdoor oven but my BBQ does higher than the indoor oven. We'll see. I've got Margarita plus a ham, mushroom and artichoke on the menu.
I'm also thinking of doing a white pizza for the neighbor (alfredo sauce, BBQ chicken and I guess red onion). Any suggestions for a white pizza is more than welcomed.

Attachments

• hog batting.jpg
    hog batting.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 2
View attachment 747855
Got a poolish there. Super happy about making some pizza on Saturday. I don't have a 700°F outdoor oven but my BBQ does higher than the indoor oven. We'll see. I've got Margarita plus a ham, mushroom and artichoke on the menu.
I'm also thinking of doing a white pizza for the neighbor (alfredo sauce, BBQ chicken and I guess red onion). Any suggestions for a white pizza is more than welcomed.

I like chicken, spinach, mushroom and onion on white pizza

I like chicken, spinach, mushroom and onion on white pizza
Those sound perfect. I can't believe I didn't think of spinach. Ugh. I'm just going to make that.
Edit (11/03/21):
White pizzas are a no-go this weekend, sadly. Maybe in two weeks.

Last edited:
I made four 16" pizzas--attempted to, actually, but they came out to about 14" because of the 00 flour. I'll have to adjust in the future. Very pleased with the dough--crunchy and chewy.

Paella. Someone had a shellfish allergy (minor though), so shrimp and mussels on one side only. But there was chicken and andouille in there (I don't care for chorizo).

After, we made s'mores on the fire pit behind the house.

View attachment 748276

View attachment 748277
Just AWESOME, and lovely yard! Eventually I will spring for a paella pan. How to you control the temp when cooking on the kettle?

pizza O.jpg

Pizza making is the gateway to omelet making. I normally wouldn't have green pepper, artichokes, mushrooms and Canadian bacon around at the same time except that I made pizza recently. As usual, I used American and sharp-white cheddar.
I switched to carbon steel three years ago but wish I had done so decades ago. Live and learn. The only real bummer I've noticed with the carbon steel is you can't cook anything wet and expect non-stick results.

Just AWESOME, and lovely yard! Eventually I will spring for a paella pan. How to you control the temp when cooking on the kettle?

I don't really control the temperature - believe me, it gets hot! Just keep adding chicken broth to maintain the moisture and it'll work out. Trick of course is to keep the rice moist enough to avoid burning, but not too moist so that you form a crunchy brown socarrat at the bottom (don't stir it!). I have a full recipe I've worked out, with timing of all additions and the whole process. Most of it I gleaned from a video I found, which is linked in the doc. See attached.

Attachments

• paella on grill.pdf
    237.4 KB · Views: 22
I don't really control the temperature - believe me, it gets hot! Just keep adding chicken broth to maintain the moisture and it'll work out. Trick of course is to keep the rice moist enough to avoid burning, but not too moist so that you form a crunchy brown socarrat at the bottom (don't stir it!). I have a full recipe I've worked out, with timing of all additions and the whole process. Most of it I gleaned from a video I found, which is linked in the doc. See attached.
What an awesome video! Thanks for posting this Andrew! Pan shopping.

Back