What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did a chicken on the Traeger. Buttermilk-brined with this recipe, using some foraged & dried local porcini (spring king bolete).

zaCXVdJ.jpg

7oJkkDx.jpg

Real good.

Gorgeous! What wood, temp, and for how long?

Max on my Traeger, which is allegedly 450F but generally hovers a bit lower. Took about an hour to get the breast to 145F. I used the gourmet blend pellets, plus a little cherry that I still had in the hopper from smoking malt.

Trying out a Lacto fermentation of 1/2 of the garlic that was harvested from my garden a few weeks ago. For the last 2-3 weeks the garlic was hanging from my basement ceiling. Last night I cleaned up the garlic and added it to 1 1/2 c of RO water with 3/4 tblspn of sea salt.
View attachment 692245

KOTC and I fight over the garlic cloves in the bottom of the pickled veggies jars! Nothing better than fermented garlic - it gets mellow but still has a good flavor. I think you're gonna love that! It keeps somewhere near forever too once it gets refrigerated.

Just the point, I grind up the flat with bacon for burgers
Awesome. That picture looked like a flat. I think point makes the best pastrami though, it it’s smoked low and slow. Just my opinion. The flats I have made pastrami with with a 1/4” or more fat left on that side have been really good to. Has anybody taken a full packer brisket, trimmed it all up, corned it all, then smoked it for pastrami? Seems like if you separated the point and flat, then trimmed them up before curing, that would work.

My weakness is good butter chicken aka makhani chicken. A local place make one that is so good. I struggle with it from scratch but MTR or Swad have a ready to eat that aint too bad with a little "doctoring up". I just add some leftover rotisserie chicken to it mainly. Plus a little of this and that like a good garam masala.
914c9N1tX3L._SX342_.jpg

Easy oven ribs. Brown first at 350F. Then cover and add my semi spicy pineapple teriyaki sauce. Reduce heat and cook covered until tender

Around 275mg sodium total for a 1/2 cup of sauce. Just started them.
3 TBS Best of Thailand Teriyaki sauce (90mg sodium per TBS)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B089LRMMDF4 TBS Rothchild Farms Pineapple Habanero sauce (0 sodium per TBS) Costco sells it for $5.50 too
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FQ2PJ3O1 TBS Sweet rice wine or mirin
1/2 TSP Garlic powder
1/4-1/2 TSP Ginger powder
1 TSP of your favorite hot sauce. (This one had 5mg per TSP)
https://www.amazon.com/Rogue-Moruga...d=1&keywords=High+River&qid=1596827184&sr=8-1

Last edited:
Still have doubts about my new pellet grill. Can I barbecue chicken the way I did on the Webber? It appears that the answer to that is on hell yes. I just love this grill!

Attachments

• 99222041-7478-4129-BE5D-CF0ED5C89AB3.jpeg
    99222041-7478-4129-BE5D-CF0ED5C89AB3.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 22
For using as a dipping fish sauce im sure you will love it. I think you can get Redboat 50N a little cheaper but its also hard to find. I can get 40N for about $5-6 a bottle and its just fine to me but im not a huge fan of Nuoc Cham, Nam Pla or any of the other fish sauce based dipping sauces to be honest.

Im far more into good soy sauce and black vinegar based dipping sauces. LKK double fermented and Gold Plum or Shuita 5yr for me thanks.
I was reading my bottle of 40N tonight and noticed that it has 4 grams of protein per tablespoon - as much as a tablespoon of peanut butter!

Just got back from the meat market - owner called me and said he’d sell me a whole “Old Spots” heritage pork butt for 25% off. You can bet I RAN down there before he changed his mind! Not sure what it will turn into yet but something tasty I’m sure!

Tonight is a Costco rotisseried chicken and sliced avocado with home-fermented ginger beer vinegar.

My weakness is good butter chicken aka makhani chicken. A local place make one that is so good. I struggle with it from scratch but MTR or Swad have a ready to eat that aint too bad with a little "doctoring up". I just add some leftover rotisserie chicken to it mainly. Plus a little of this and that like a good garam masala.

Hey Evilgrin, here is the recipe that we make for Murgh Makhni aka butter chicken. For us it's a cold weather dish, fall, winter, you get the idea. As much as I don't like his politics, Penzey's has very good spices, they're not cheap by any means, but very good. This recipe does take a little while to make, and an immersion / stick blender makes it easier. I serve it on basmati rice that I put 3 whole cloves, and 3 whole green cardamom pods in along with some frozen peas. I always try to fish out the cloves and cardamom pods before serving. I love the flavor they add to the rice but I don't like the surprise of biting into one.

MURGH MAKHANI (INDIAN BUTTER CHICKEN)

Ingredients:
• 1 tablespoon peanut oil
• 1 shallot, finely chopped
• ¼ white onion, chopped
• 2 tablespoons butter
• 2 teaspoons lemon juice
• 1 tablespoon ground fresh ginger
• 3 cloves minced garlic
• 1 teaspoon garam masala
• 1 teaspoon ground coriander
• 1 teaspoon chili powder
• 1 teaspoon ground cumin
• ¼ teaspoon ground fenugreek
• 1 bay leaf
• 1 plain Greek yogurt (5.3 oz. container)
• 1 tablespoon flour, whisked into the yogurt to prevent curdling
• ¼ cup heavy cream
• 1 cup tomato puree
• ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
• 1 pinch salt
• 1 pinch black pepper
• 1 tablespoon peanut oil
• 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs, or skinless breast cut into bite-size pieces
• 1 teaspoon garam masala
• 1 pinch cayenne pepper
• ¼ cup finely ground unsalted cashews (do not use cornstarch to thicken)
• ¼ cup chicken broth

Directions:
1. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large saucepan over medium high heat. Sauté shallot and onion until
soft and translucent. Stir in butter, lemon juice, ground ginger, garlic, 1 teaspoon garam masala,
chili powder and cumin. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add tomato sauce, and cook for 2 minutes,
stirring frequently. Stir in heavy cream and yogurt. Reduce heat to low, and simmer for 10
minutes, stirring frequently. Season with salt pepper. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
Grind the cashews in a blender. Add the sauce to the blender to puree all the onion pieces and
cashews into a creamy sauce.

2. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large heavy skillet over medium heat. Cook chicken until lightly
browned, about 10 minutes. Reduce heat, and season with 1 teaspoon garam masala and
cayenne. Add the sauce to the chicken and simmer with the bay leaf until cooked.

3. Serve over Basamati rice garnished with chopped fresh cilantro.

Thanks, spices i have covered pretty well. Our international market has an exceptional "Indian isle". The pricing there blows Penzy's pricing away. They have a local store outlet here also. For online i use mostly MySpiceSage or SpicesInc. MySpiceSage has a good vadouvan masala without added salt. SpicesInc also has a huge selection of no salt added spices and spice blends.

https://www.myspicesage.com/https://spicesinc.com/
For some pepper powders i use either Burma Spice or Frontier Co-Op stores on Amazon. They each have a couple that are good without being outrageously priced. I grow the vast majority of peppers i use but some i use so much of its hard to grow it all. Such as Korean gochugaru or Aleppo. There is no way i can grow enough without devoting all my garden space. Plus all the time i would have to devote to sun drying.

I’ve been buying spices I can’t find locally from Spice House now. Penzey’s just irritated me. I think they may be owned by the same company, but Penzey’s is in your face political and Spice House is not.

Every time I cook on the new pellet grill is like learning to grill again. Tonight I’m cooking Goan Vindaloo in Pungent Brown Sauce using only the gas sear burner. Part of my sales pitch to SWMBO was that I could get my beer burner off the back porch. That does appear th be the case as the Vindaloo is coming along fine on the sear burner!
24645DB2-029D-4C83-99EE-49A348ECA755.jpeg

Oh, and Evil or whoever said it, most of my spices come from a huge Indian grocery near here. Their prices are a fraction of what you pay at groceries, and their turn over is high. All my basmati rice comes from there too. And they have amazing produce like different eggplants (abugines) that you can’t find in a normal grocery.

View attachment 693817
Filet, baby taters and green beans.

Lovely! I splurged and bought some prime fillets a couple of days ago from Costco because they were just too pretty to pas up. Going to do Strip House potatoes and a spinach gratin that’s a new recipe to go with the Saturday for my youngest daughter, her husband, and my grandson Saturday.

Oh, and Evil or whoever said it, most of my spices come from a huge Indian grocery near here. Their prices are a fraction of what you pay at groceries, and their turn over is high. All my basmati rice comes from there too. And they have amazing produce like different eggplants (abugines) that you can’t find in a normal grocery.

I have 2 massive international markets and 2 Indian food markets. Pricing at all 4 is very very good. I can even get Japanese grown Koshihikari rice for a very reasonable price. Jasmine and basmatti are both very very cheap. Regular grocers are like $4/lb on shallots and ginger root. Its about half that at my markets.

Two 12" thin crust pizzas using my kveik dough starter I made awhile back that I continueto feed weekly. Pepperoni, mushrooms, onions, and bell peppers with mozzarella on one, and the other homemade pesto sauce, feta, tomatoes, onions mushrooms, mozzarella, and bell peppers.
IMG_20200814_214911_592.jpg
IMG_20200814_214911_593.jpg
20200814_215156.jpg
20200814_220749.jpg

Back