What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My theory is, if you're gonna cook a turkey - it should be the BIGGEST ONE YOU CAN FIT IN A PAN AND IN YOUR OVEN! :)

I LOVE turkey leftovers. Especially turkey pot pie. :rockin:
I got pics of my country-style turkey pizzas I made the 3rd day with leftover turkey...
Made with my biscuit crust. Shortening cut to 1/4C, 1/4C extra virgin olive oil added. I like Mediterranean brand, as it tastes a little peppery like Tuscan when fresher. 2 with garlic Parmesan/Romano cheese sauce, one with bbq sauce. Both sauces made for pizza. With left over turkey, red onions, mushrooms & red, orange & yellow bell peppers. Topped with Motz/provolone blend.
IMG_0237.jpg

IMG_0240.jpg

With quarter cut string cheese in the crust!

My sister had given my Dad a big blue oval Le Creuset Dutch oven some years ago - he used the heck out of it. After he passed and sister and I were going through the kitchen, she told me to take that pot, as she already had two of them! Color me happy!

I have to admit - when I got it home, I took some citric acid to the stain in it... took a lot of it off. Now we'll see if I roont it or not next time I cook in it!

In my own defense, it was quite sticky inside and out from some gummy oil or something. I got all that off.

Apples new IOS is just pissing me off. I have a post typed, leave to take a picture, come back, and my post is gone. Never did that before.

It's just cold and crappy here all day (by Texas standards). It's been raining all day and it never got above 47 degrees. And I had to work all day. Huff

So I'm making potato soup!
Render some bacon.
View attachment 379282
Sauté celery, onions, and carrots.
View attachment 379284
Add in the diced taters along with salt, pepper, and some Cajun seasoning.
View attachment 379285
Broth goes in.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1480820726.639782.jpg
That's as far as I've gotten, but I'm excited about my anti crappy weather comfort food!! Lol

Irish Stew (with beef) and Cheddar/Chive scones, washed down with an Irish Red Ale that hopefully gets my team into the Homebrew League Playoff Final Round.

Was going to send a picture, but my phone doesn't have the adapter cable and the App doesn't want to connect right now... :(

Bought two whole fresh Dungeness crabs this morning on sale at Lucky for $4.99/lb. Didn't get any at all last year due to the domoic acid poisoning. Figured we'd clean and crack these two and freeze for our Christmas eve dinner of crab, peel 'n eat jumbo Gulf shrimp, garlic bread, steamed artichokes, and champagne. Got these two home and then the grocery ads showed up - Lucky is STILL gonna have them at $4.99 til next Wednesday, so figured, what the heck - cleaned and cracked these two, made cocktail sauce with our homemade SF ketchup, made cheesy garlic bread on sourdough slices, and had some big black olives and marinated artichoke hearts, plus a homebrew, for dinner. OH YUM! No pics, didn't even THINK of it as I dove into that feast!

I want the recipe for that hoisin pork

I don't really use a recipe, I just thought it up & did it. I usually cook using my senses & rarely write anything down, but it's really easy. Heat about 1.5 tablespoons dark sesame oil in your wok, add pork stew meat & start stir frying. Add more oil if you think it needs it. I like to add about 1/2 teaspoon of dried, crushed thyme, a dash of fresh ground black pepper & about 4 cloves garlic, roughly chopped. Keep stir frying. When the meat is about 1/2 way done, add 1/2 a sweet, yellow onion. I also added a little leftover coconut milk, I'd guess about 3 tablespoons worth.

When the meat is just about done, add the Hoisin sauce, I use Lee Kum Kee brand cuz I think it tastes the best. Add Rooster sauce (Sriracha) to taste, I'd guess I used between a teaspoon & a tablespoon. Add a few shakes of low sodium soy sauce. Reduce heat & simmer a bit, keep stirring. Simmer till the sauce thickens a bit. Serve over veggies or rice or noodles.

The coconut veggies are just veggies, (use any veggies you like) in this case baby carrots, celery, broccoli, and baby corn stir fried in dark sesame oil with 1/2 a sweet yellow onion, about 3 cloves garlic, about 1/2 teaspoon of dried, crushed sweet basil (if the label doesn't say "sweet," it's not), a couple dashes of fresh ground black pepper and about 1/2 to 3/4 of a can of coconut milk. Stirfry till the veggies start to soften & then add the coconut milk, simmer for a bit. You want the coconut milk to reduce a bit. It doesn't add a whole lot of coconut flavor, but it there.
You could also reduce the coconut milk to a thicker sauce & add it right at the end of stir frying the veggies or even just pour it over the veggies right before serving if you wanted to, though you'd have to stir fry them a bit longer. You want the veggies to be cooked, but still crunchy.
Regards, GF.

Back