what constitutes a high gravity or big beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ferde357

Reaction score
Is there a particular abv that makes a beer considered big? At what gravity do you need to consider using additional techniques for fermentation like additional packets of yeast, etc.

No to your first question. Some who drink session strength brews may consider a 5.75% beer to be strong. Others may think a 9%+ beer is strong.

WYeast says you can direct pitch their smack packs up to a certain gravity, but in reality a yeast starter is a good idea for most beers over 1.045 or so. About the only time I wouldn't make a liquid starter is for a very small beer or for something like a 1.050 Patersbier where I want the extra esters created during reproduction. Dry yeast I would go 1 packet up to maybe 1.060 or so, and after that add 2 packets (there are more viable yeast cells in dry yeast). Not sayiog you won't make beer by underpitching, but pitching the correct qty of yeast cells along with fermentation temp control are #1 and #2 for most people to making good beer.

Gravity wise I think most people would put the line at 1060. Yeast starters/multiple packs of yeast become mandatory beyond that point. ABV wise, north of 8% probably starts being considered "big."

As far as my experience goes, the only useful thing I can say about this is that your mileage may vary. Some people can't get a brew to ferment once they 've reached 1.090 OG, other swear by multiple packets of yeast and heavy aeration with oxygen, plus extra yeast pampering in the form of nutrients and so on, while others (myself included) have not experience any problems whatsoever when fermenting brews of 1.090 and beyond (my personal highest is a 1.120 OG impy stout which was really the easisest brew I ever did - still awaiting carbonation to see how that turned out but the intermediary stages were all pretty damn yummy).

As for what makes it a "big" beer...depends on your take, I suppose. "Big" to me implies impressive in some way or other, be that body, gravity, ABV, hoppines,...
Beers are considered "heavy" somewhere from 1.075 onward, and "strong" somewhere around 8% ABV, I'd say, but I assume there's no real yardstick being used there.

Most yeast packages have the labs recommended pitch rate for 5 gallons of 1.060 wort. Beyond that, more yeast is recommended by the labs. However, there are many who suggest that more yeast be used for lower gravities.

As for Alcohol content, anything over 4.0%ABV is considered high point and is federally regulated.

There really is no definitive answer and most people will differ. I'd say its big as soon as you have to really concentrate on the fermentation (stepped starters, yeast nutrient, oxygen system, etc).

Latest posts

Back