What can my keezer really hold?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tylo_k2008

Reaction score
Hey so I saw in a thread that this is what fits in the magic chef 5.5cf chest freezer. So I bought it, fairly satissfied with what I was going to be able to fit. I was hoping to fit 2- 1/6th kegs and 2 - cornies. I was just wondering if it is going to be able to hold all this after all. There looks to be more then a 1/2 inch of extra space between the two cardboard cut outs, but since I bought mine I am starting to doudt it will hold all this. Does anyone own this freezer? And if so what can I really fit it it? Help me please as I am trying to make sure it fits what I need it to before I go the next step and build a collar for it. THANKS!!
:tank:

33333.png

No I dont have any cornys or kegs yet. I am still in the middle of my project kind of. As of now I have 3 faucets, all the lines, keg connectors, a regulator, and a 5lb co2 tank. I was hoping to fit 2- 1/6th kegs on the bottom, and build a big enough collar to fit 2 cornys on the upper lip part of the freezer. I am just kind of wondering if this is going to fit (or atlast 2- 1/6th and a corny) before build the collar or if I need to resell my chest freezer and upgrade to something bigger.

I have that freezer. Four ball locks fit in it just as you have the cutouts. I can put my 5lb CO2 in the center, too. There is a little room to spare, I think pin locks would probably fit , but maybe not with the CO2.

Of course you need a collar to put the kegs on the hump...

What about 1/6th kegs though. Do You think two will be able to fit on the bottom? Thats what I am more worried about. I can put the co2 tank outside the keezer if I have to. Like I said I just have to make sure those fit before I build a collar. And by the way how big is your collar?

If anyone knows for sure what will fit please let me know ASAP. I keep using 2 plates I have that measure 9 3/16" ( 1/16th off 9 1/4"). With them at the bottom of the chest freezer, pushed against each side there is roughly a 3/16th" gap between the two. If my calculations are correct (which im not good at math) then I think I have about a 1/16th gap if the 1/6th kegs are indeed only 9 1/4 inches and no bigger. So I may barely fit. And of course there will most likely be a slight lean off of corny kegs on the lip, so if I am lucky I can maybe fit one of those. I wish there was someone here who knew for sure as I am DESPERATE to be finished with this all ready. AAAHHHHH!! I need a beer....
Anyone?

I know that there is plenty of room for four ball lock cornies

I'm not sure, but I think 1/6 are different diameters depending on the company that makes them.

Even it they are a little bigger than you think, you can probably stagger (put them kitty corner) them so that they will fit rather than have them in line.

There is more room in the bottom than on the hump.

I'll go out and take a picture of mine and post if for you. I think you will have plenty of room, though.

I don't know if this helps or not, but you can see how much room there is in the bottom part of the freezer. The only reason my Cornies are tight on the hump is because I have a lip that I need to trim on my collar.

For having such a small footprint there is a lot of room in this freezer

photo-10.jpg

The measurements I keep getting say I may barely be able to fit. and thats a big MAYBE! obviously I dont have two 1/6th kegs to struggle in there to see if they fit right now. How much do your cornys on the lip hang off and how big of a collar do you have? :mad:

The cornys don't hang off at all. They fit in line on the hump. The problem that I have is that when I built my collar, I put a board on the bottom and top to close it all up. I didn't have the tools to rip the board to size so it over hangs into my freezer compartment so my collar is about a 3/4" smaller that the freezer compartment. Without the collar (or a collar that fits properly) the cornys fit with some room.

Give me a minute and I'll take the collar off and take the CO2 out and take another picture...

The pictures aren't as good as I would like but it is late...

The first picture has the kegs staggered. There is a lot of room around both kegs-probably plenty of room for 6ths

The second pictures is the four kegs in lined up.

photo-10-1.jpg
photo-11.jpg

Thanks. Yeah I was hoping for 1/6th kegs on the bottom. As I don't know anything at all about brewing my own beer I was going to do that. I think I am going to go ahead and build the collar. Im pretty sure I can squeeze two - 1/6th kegs on the bottom. It may be a super super tight squeeze, but I am going to give it a shot. And since the cornys don't look like they hang off at all I am pretty sure I can fit all that I want to fit. Anyways - Thanks a million!! I am going to give it a try and if it doesn't work, I guess I will be upgrading to a 7.2cf or just be stuck with one kind of beer. By the way how big of a collar do you have? I was thinking of using a 2" x 8" .. And where do I get started on learning to brew my own beer?

Hi

Been down this road and had a wreck at the end. 1/6 commercial kegs are a lot bigger than ball locks. The measurements sound close, but when you actually go and put them it ... no fit.

You need about 1/4" to spare past the diameter of the keg. The walls of the freezer will ice up a bit. Kegs have lumps and dents in them. You are dealing with a big heavy thing getting it in and out.

Bob

I know that you cant see it in the pictures, but there is more tha 1/4 " between ball locks when they are staggered in the main freezer part

Back