What can i soak my vanilla beans in?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheesehed007

Reaction score
Hello all. I have a Porter fermenting and have 5 vanilla beans to add to it. I'm just wondering if some liquor works better then others. It seems bourbon is the go to for most. Has anyone tried Southern Comfort? Thanks for you help.

Im fixing to do the same thing. Read up lots on it and consensus is split many ways. Im gonna just toss them in the secondary after I rack it over. The alcohol present will kill off any undesirables. Ive heard of folks using bourbon or vodka as well.

vodka will leave a more lure vanilla flavor and any other liquor will give some of its flavor. So use what you like and think will go well in the beer

So maybe I'll pick up some porters and mix them with some different stuff just to get an idea what works....

I just chuck them in the fermenter. If you're set on the alcohol soak, anything will work. Go with what flavor you think will pair best with the beer. I think a vanilla, SoCo Porter is a pretty bold idea. I'd love to hear how it turns out.

You do slice those vanilla beans open, scrape the pulp out, and then add them to the fermentor, like you would do when cooking with them? Otherwise I doubt you get good extraction.

I think the alcohol soak is to sanitize whatever may cling to the pulp and beans.

Latest posts

Back