What can I make out of this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stavrogin78

Reaction score
Hi everyone! So, I've never tried brewing just from extract before; I've always used kits (used to do the Brew House BIAB kits, now I usually use the Cooper's cans). I still have a couple of the Cooper's Brew A IPA cans, but I've also got a bunch of random leftover malts and a bit of hops. Can I do a batch out of what I've got without a kit? Here's what I've got to work with:

1lb CBW Traditional Dark
1lb CBW Pilsen Light
1lb CBW Sparkling Amber
1lb CBW Golden Light
3lbs Munton's Plain Amber
4 oz Centennial Hops
Lallemand American West Coast Ale Yeast

If I've understood right, a 23L batch of beer should take around 6lbs of malt, and I usually add 1 lb of dextrose to my kits. I haven't studied a whole lot about brewing like this, but it seems to me it's all really the same process - make wort, cool it, pitch yeast, wait. I'd have to learn how to do the boil process, as I know it's a little more involved when you're adding the hops yourself instead of relying on pre-hopped kits, but I'm guessing it's not all that complicated?

I don't have any grains or anything to add, and I'm a long way from anywhere I could get some, so I was hoping I could basically throw this all together and see what I end up with. Not looking to make anything spectacular here, I'm not really that picky. I'm also really curious to just try throwing these leftovers together and try it out. I mean, I know it might be weird to throw this mix of light and dark malts together (or maybe it isn't? I dunno, I've never done this before) but they're not really doing much else.

Do I have a potential batch of beer here? Or am I missing something critical?

Thanks for your help!

It will totally beer. Just need to decide how much cascade to use and when

edit: centennial, not cascade

Last edited:
Water! 😆

Go for it. Split that centennial up to your liking (bittering/aroma 30 - 0 min) and make some beer. Throw the ingredients into the Brewer's friend recipe calculator to get an idea of what your IBU's and coloring will be.

1600013862438.png

1600013905951.png

it might be weird to throw this mix of light and dark malts together (or maybe it isn't? I dunno, I've never done this before)
Briess provides wort composition for most of their DME/LME products (on a percentage basis) [link].

CBW Traditional Dark will contribute Munich, some 60L, and some color.

Amber extract is the "unknown". But if one is willing to assume it's 85% base malt, 10% C60, 5% munich (link [1]) and assuming all your ingredients are either DME or LME, then it's possible to estimate a grain bill: 80% base malt [2], 10% munich, 8% 60L, .5% Black malt (color), 1.5% rounding errors).

The amount of 60L suggests a classic (early 2000s) pale / amber ale (depending on final color).

@apache_brew 's approach (30 minute boil and proposed hop schedule) is good advice.

---------------------------------

[1] original article was here: //barleypopmaker.info/links-and-brewing-resources/all-grain-recipe-equivalents-to-common-extracts/. See also [link].
[2] For Briess extracts, base malt information was available here (link) for a while.

Back