What Burner Do You Use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopSong

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Yep, I realize this is a highly discussed topic.. but, reports are with old and new units.. I'd like to know only about the NEW units..

I'm looking to upgrade my burner from the common turkey fryer (low btu) to something better.

I'm a bit confused reading some of the reports here as well as on Amazon. Why? Because some of the reports for , say, the Bayou Classic are rated as great.. but they are using the old 20psi regulator which is no longer shipped.

Also, some of the reports I've read show that some burners are great for cooking and not so great for boiling volumes of water.. further confusion as the websites don't seem to say which is which.

I DON"T want a jet burner.. rather. I'm looking for something in the 55-65,000btu range that won't eat a ton of propane. Also, I don't want the Blichmann as it's pretty pricy..

So, I'm looking at the NEW SP-10's, the SQ-14 and the Camp Chef models

Of the new models.. what do you have? What do/don't you like about it, How long does it take to get from tap temps to mash/sparge temps, etc.

Thanks for any input.. and, Oh, Did I say the new models.. I know these threads can get off topic :)

I use the SQ-14 and love it. Fits keggles with room to spare and is very sturdy. I usually fill my HLT and turn the burner on while mlling my grains and getting set up, then heat up the sparge during the mash. Sparge from 50 or so to 190 in about 45 min, and that's not having the burner turned up very high at all. I usually get four batches per tank. Could probably do better if I built a wind screen, as the SQ-14 doesn't have one.

Between those two, I think the SQ-14 is a winner. Its only shortcoming is the lack of a windscreen and that can easily be resolved. It's absolutley a great bang for the buck!

On the 20 psi reg., I personally think that would be too much. The normal 10 psi reg has no problem blasting the flames out if turned high enough...

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/my-bayou-classic-sq14-windscreen-addition-330988/

I have the "newer" sp-10 from bayou classic, and it came with a leaking regulator hose. I sent it back for a new one. Guess what... that one has a leak also, postponing my brewday another couple weeks or so. I am pissed off at bayou classic. I ordered the burner from Amazon LLC, through amazon.com. Make sure to check the hose for leaks right away.

On the SQ-14 performance, this is from a previous post of mine:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/burner-recommendation-newb-372221/index2.html
"My SQ14 does pretty good with propane usage I'd say. I can get a good 4-5 batches from a 20# cylinder and these are All Grain batches where I'm heating strike/sparge water as well as working the boil.

I havent yet timed 8 gallons but I did time 6 gallons from ~130 degrees to boil in right at 30 minutes."

Like your project.. Looking at the pics of the burner kit vs some of the pics I've seen in other places online.. Some regulators have a throttling valve after the regulator.. does this model?

If not, can you add a valve to it? I've read that BC's have their own proprietary threads.. sounds dumb... but, I don't know.

No extra valve beyond the regulator. I dont see what that would do for you since the reg itself allows you to adjust the flow rate. I also dont know why you couldnt add a valve inline if you really wanted to for some reason. Not sure about any proprietary thread patterns...

I have a "new" SP10 (60,000 BTU) and love it. Won't ever go back to using the stove top, that's for sure.

jp.. that sucks.. it should be caught before shipping.
Nagorg.. thanks for the help.. Love that avitar.. I need lessons to help me learn how to imbed a photo using my Elements.. I can't seem to get it on my own. Old age I guess.
Upthewazzu.. love that user name.. and loved messin in Pullman when I was up there. I'll be back.

'preciate the input you all have given.

Don't overlook the Blichmann. May be a bit more pricey, but man that thing is built like a brick sh*thouse, will most likely far outlast most cheaper products. I couldn't believe the weight of that thing when I got it.

Don't overlook the Blichmann. May be a bit more pricey, but man that thing is built like a brick sh*thouse, will most likely far outlast most cheaper products. I couldn't believe the weight of that thing when I got it.

Agreed.... I didn't mention it cause ThreeGnomes referenced no interest. But since you brought it up... :D I recently acquired one myself for doing 10+gallon batches. Used it this last weekend and oh-man-o... Kicked some serious wort boiling booty!! That thing is amazing and is built to last a lifetime. I do think it's a little much for 5 gallon batches though. For that, my SQ-14 is awesome!

I've been using an SP10, but recently acquired a Blichmann. The SP10 works just fine, but sounds like a dang jet the whole time. The Blichmann, by comparison, is truly whisper quiet. I haven't put the Blichmann through its paces yet, but I can say that it's built like a tank (an all stainless steel tank at that), and looks like it will last a long time. I got the leg extensions too, which are very solid, and put my 15gal Bayou Classic at a perfect height to drain straight to a fermenter.

I just got the Bayou Classic SP10 last week and used it yesterday. I am using this with a 30 quart SS pot, and it heated it up quite fast, compare to my old turkey frier burner and stove. Also with the valve by the tank connection, i was able to control gas flow quite easy, and have it go from a jet noise to boil, to a much quieter rolling boil medium to low flame. I'm sure "at some point" when I go up to 10 gallon batches and get another burner, i may get the Blichmann, but for now, I'm very happy with the SP10.

I would have to caution against the Bayou models with the high pressure 30psi regulators. I used my KAB4 for about a year and it eats propane. I could get 2 batches out a 20 lb tank (really 15lb I guess with the blue rhino tanks) when using extract. When I switched to all grain I was using about almost a whole tank for strike, sparge and boil. That and it was always freezing my tanks. Got the blichmann burner and its been great. Get about three all grain batches out of a tank. Probably pay for the $60 difference between the 2 in a year from saving trips to pick up new tanks.

Looks like my brother in law passed on an old turkey fryer.. don't remember when he got it.. Think he did 2 Thanksgiving turkeys. It has the SP-10 burner and the older high pressure regulator. That regulator comes with the throttling valve on the outboard side. I'll try that for a while to see how it works. As mentioned in the first post, I don't ever expect to do more than a 5G batch at one time.. so, that's about 6.5-7G of water. Once I start doing all grain, I'll need more water.. but, that can be added to the pot once mashing is taking place.

Back