What brings out your inner-snob?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sometimes I hate going out with "Civilians." We have these reunions for the old college radio station, and inevitably when picking a spot I have little say and we end up at someplace with crappy beers. I suggest a brew pub and they complain because they don't serve booze for mixed drinks, or don't have food there.

And they just don't understand that what I am drinking is a HUGE part of the pleasure of going out for me. I'm not just content with drinking a bud.

It's so much easier when planning stuff with fellow brewers or beergeeks, we name a brewpub, and then decide if we've been to it too much recently and should maybe go to another one instead. Then one of us may profess a craving for a certain beer there. We decide, set a time and show up.

i'll side with the civilians, just on the food issue. I love being able to have a good homebrew and plan a great meal to match it. If i'm going to spend the money to go out, i still want a good meal with my beer. If you can brew beer at your pub, you can make a sammich too.

Not really a snob issue, but I'm constantly surprised at how many waiter/bartender type people don't even know what "microbrew" is when I ask for it.

In the old series, I lost interest at '80. In the new series, I stopped watching some time shortly after them finding the other Battlestar (Pegasus maybe?). I didn't hate it, but I just stopped caring and lost track.

That's what so great about the original series, it's only 17 or 18 episodes total. Forget Galactica 1980, that was absolute crap! :)

Watch the original opening credits from the pilot movie. Pamela Hensley and Erin Grey and both wearing HOT outfits and writhing around on Buck Rogers letters while the version of Suspension (main theme) with lyrics is playing. You'll likely change your mind about Ms. Grey.

That is a good opening sequence! :mug:

Hmm, maybe it's time to bust out the old Galactica and Buck Rogers DVDs again.

Not really a snob issue, but I'm constantly surprised at how many waiter/bartender type people don't even know what "microbrew" is when I ask for it.

Yeah, this happens all the time to me. I usually just ask if they have any imported beer and there have been times where they told me that had "Yuengling and Blue Moon".

You don't have to be a beer expert, but at least have the sense to tell someone "I'm not sure, let me check".

Yeah, this happens all the time to me. I usually just ask if they have any imported beer and there have been times where they told me that had "Yuengling and Blue Moon".

You don't have to be a beer expert, but at least have the sense to tell someone "I'm not sure, let me check".

I really do not miss living on the east coast for this reason. Well there I go again being a snob.

Taking a great food item (opinion) and making it more complicated than it needs to be all the while covering up the simple beauty of the actual food item. Maybe 'pet-peeve' is better term but 'inner-snob' works.

Like over-marinating good steaks (or marinating them at all imo), a bunch of toppings on a good pizza (good pizza don't need nothin' but sauce and cheese, maybe pepperoni), 31 flavors of chicken wings (when unbreaded, deep-fried, and shaken in buffalo sauce is best...opinion), burgers with mushrooms-bacon-bleu cheese-BBQ sauce-caramelized onions-fried egg-anchovies-jalapenos-fois gras-etc. I like all of these things but I don't need every topping in the universe on one burger. KISS.

i'll side with the civilians, just on the food issue. I love being able to have a good homebrew and plan a great meal to match it. If i'm going to spend the money to go out, i still want a good meal with my beer. If you can brew beer at your pub, you can make a sammich too.

And most of the brewpubs I go to actually have food, or have deals with all the neighboring carryout/delivery joints to deliver to patrons at the bar. It's just that the "civs" don't know that.

We Do dragonmead often and order from Lazy Bones bbq. If you take a look at these menus, you'll see why.

http://www.dragonmead.com/Beers.html

http://www.lazybonessmokehouse.net/2010menu.pdf

60 beers and the best damn 'que I've had outside of Missouri.

Taking a great food item (opinion) and making it more complicated than it needs to be all the while covering up the simple beauty of the actual food item. Maybe 'pet-peeve' is better term but 'inner-snob' works.

Like over-marinating good steaks (or marinating them at all imo), a bunch of toppings on a good pizza (good pizza don't need nothin' but sauce and cheese, maybe pepperoni), 31 flavors of chicken wings (when unbreaded, deep-fried, and shaken in buffalo sauce is best...opinion), burgers with mushrooms-bacon-bleu cheese-BBQ sauce-caramelized onions-fried egg-anchovies-jalapenos-fois gras-etc. I like all of these things but I don't need every topping in the universe on one burger. KISS.

100% agree! I also can't stand a salad that looks more like a hogs trough than a salad, whats wrong with some nice greens, fresh seasonal veggies and a simple dressing? I dont need grilled steak, eggs, 12 kinds of cheese, olives, marinated chicken, candied pecans, sesame crunchies, tofu, and a gallon of way overdone dressing that overpowers the taste of everything else in the bowl.

Note to self: Road trip to revvy's neighborhood. the three piggy sammich alone looks worth the drive.

Most of the brewpubs I've been to have some very good food. Right Brain in Traverse City doesn't serve food, but you can order in, or go to the restaurant across the hall and pick up your food.

And I've never been to teh SE michigan for a beer, but I might just do that for one of them BBQs!

Is the last word of your post indicating that the band KISS is a pet peeve of yours? If so, me too. At least Gene Simmons.

I inherited a decent size superiority complex from my father. I have learned what he never did which is to keep my mouth shut 90% of the time.
I think I will spread my wings a little today.

BMC: An abomination and an offence to all things good.

Lazy Parents: WTF is with people letting their children behave like animals? My kids whine and disobey and get in trouble, but in public they are ladies. Is it too much to ask that I not be subjected to the fruits of your ****ty parenting?

As far as BSG, I have a bunch of friends that raved about it so I Netflix'd the series. Somebody please tell me what all the fuss is about.

Gotta agree with Northernlad on the parenting/****ty child behaviour point.
If I acted the way that half the kids these day do my fathers size 11 would have been up my bung hole so fast. It wouldnt have mattered if we were in public or not. He wasnt an ******* by any means, but just didnt put up with ****. When did kids stop being taught the meaning of the word "No"?

My brother who wont put down his Miller Lite to at least TRY some of my homebrew. Maybe Bro, just maybe, theres something better out there than what you've been drinking since you were friggin 14. And no, Vodka isnt it.

People who want to give me parenting advice like I'm a total idiot. Hey moron, hes alive with no bruises and has clean diapers. I think I have it ****ing covered you pompous ass.

People who take up a 5th of a perfectly good thread with pictures/discussions of ANYthing Sci/Fi. Anyone with intelligence knows sci fi blows. Yes, this is FACT. :)

People who take up a 5th of a perfectly good thread with pictures/discussions of ANYthing Sci/Fi. Anyone with intelligence knows sci fi blows. Yes, this is FACT. :)

No, you sir, are wrong...and you're lousy at raising those kids!!! :p

However, the fact that you actually bothered to figure out that it was 1/5th of the total thread shows that you are not too far gone and may one day rise to join the SciFi ranks or maybe even goes so far as to join the SciFi vs. Science Fiction debate. You, my friend, have much to look forward to. I envy your journey of discovery! ;)

EDIT: I was going to ask where you were performing next and then was thrown for a loop when I realized you were Swedish. Mr. King, I've read your autobiography and I don't remember you ONCE mentioning that fact!!

I don't get lost anywhere. Ever. So naturally I think people who can see a store from the freeway three blocks before they take the exit but can't find it are ****ing idiots.

People thinking they are music aficionados who listen to nothing but commercial radio and purchase the crap that is purveyed there.

People who think that anything is crap once the general populace finds out about it.

Going into a house, any house, and seeing how badly Handy Hank Homeowner F*cked up his electrical trying to do it himself.

What? It's not wrong! It works, doesn't it???? Sigh...........

I LOVE people who try to do their own electrical! I've made a TON of cash (allegedly) on side jobs fixing their screw-ups!!!

Gotta agree with Northernlad on the parenting/****ty child behaviour point.
If I acted the way that half the kids these day do my fathers size 11 would have been up my bung hole so fast. It wouldnt have mattered if we were in public or not. He wasnt an ******* by any means, but just didnt put up with ****. When did kids stop being taught the meaning of the word "No"?
Maybe right around the time they were content with "alive with no bruises and clean diapers"?
BBKing in the same post said:
People who want to give me parenting advice like I'm a total idiot. Hey moron, hes alive with no bruises and has clean diapers. I think I have it ****ing covered you pompous ass.
Maybe they just want your kid to be taught the meaning of the word "No".

I'm gonna go eat some cake so I'll have some for later.:p
I guess I just found a new inner snob.

People who claim to be mountian bikers because they ride a mountian bike around the paved path at the local pond. That doesn't make you a mountain biker it makes you a person riding a mountian mike.

And people who refuse to try a beer just because it is dark, "cheese and rice man" the color isn't the only thing that effects the taste.

Store brand Cheerios. Yuck. "What was that sound? Oh, my tooth..."

Maybe right around the time they were content with "alive with no bruises and clean diapers"?

Maybe they just want your kid to be taught the meaning of the word "No".

I'm gonna go eat some cake so I'll have some for later.:p
I guess I just found a new inner snob.

My child has just turned 1 and is just starting to figure out "No". He'll look at ya when you say it, stop what hes doing, then return to doing it 5 minutes later. It seems like hes further along than the 3 3-5 year olds I just experienced in Wal-Mart. :D

And for my active little guy, no bruises is a miracle :p

Hope you enjoyed that cake

No, you sir, are wrong...and you're lousy at raising those kids!!! :p

However, the fact that you actually bothered to figure out that it was 1/5th of the total thread shows that you are not too far gone and may one day rise to join the SciFi ranks or maybe even goes so far as to join the SciFi vs. Science Fiction debate. You, my friend, have much to look forward to. I envy your journey of discovery! ;)

EDIT: I was going to ask where you were performing next and then was thrown for a loop when I realized you were Swedish. Mr. King, I've read your autobiography and I don't remember you ONCE mentioning that fact!!

Theres a SciFi vs. Science Fiction debate?? WTF? I doubt I'll be joining that lively (I'm sure) debate.

I have no clue who Mr. King is :D Should I?

Don't be modest sir, your guitar work is legendary! ;)

Wow, I really feel like an idiot.

In my defense, I thought you were still talking about some Sci-Fi writer/director.

But man, that WAS obvious :eek:

Theres a SciFi vs. Science Fiction debate?? WTF? I doubt I'll be joining that lively (I'm sure) debate.

I have no clue who Mr. King is :D Should I?

SciFi vs Science Fiction?

Oh no you didn't!!! Don't even go there! :D

Then someone wanna explain wtf it is with THIS?

syfy.jpg

Are they going to do what MTV did, and actually STOP playing music videos? Are we going to start see reality programming instead? Are they going to do things like "Survivor; Dragoncon," "American Filker," and "Fan Swap (where Trekkie and a Star Wars Fan couples swap a spouse with one another and hilarity ensues) and "Last Furry Standing?"

So maybe this wasn't just a spoof video, but an actual pilot?

:confused::D

Last edited by a moderator:
I noticed that whole SyFy thing when I was watching TV Guide channel one day. It took me a few minutes of "WTF" to figure it out.

Holy Moly, here I go joining the conversation :eek:

There's a sci-fi vs. science fiction debate that far predates this SyFy nonsense. Some people got uppity about things that aren't really science fiction getting that label. Take Star Wars for example. You could make it a pirate flick and replace all of the technology with pirate stuff without altering any of the plot. That's not really science fiction. Contrast this to The Time Machine. The time machine itself is crucial to the plot. The Time Machine speculates on scientific concept using fiction. So when all of this non-science-fiction stuff started filling the bookshelves and movie theaters, some fans of the older hard science fiction referred to it as sci-fi (in a derogatory way). I've never really bought into that and like most people use the terms interchangeably. Seems to me that most science fiction is a bit of a mix anyway.

There's a sci-fi vs. science fiction debate that far predates this SyFy nonsense. Some people got uppity about things that aren't really science fiction getting that label. Take Star Wars for example. You could make it a pirate flick and replace all of the technology with pirate stuff without altering any of the plot. That's not really science fiction. Contrast this to The Time Machine. The time machine itself is crucial to the plot. The Time Machine speculates on scientific concept using fiction. So when all of this non-science-fiction stuff started filling the bookshelves and movie theaters, some fans of the older hard science fiction referred to it as sci-fi (in a derogatory way). I've never really bought into that and like most people use the terms interchangeably. Seems to me that most science fiction is a bit of a mix anyway.

Uh oh, looks like someone went there! :D

Lazy Parents: WTF is with people letting their children behave like animals? My kids whine and disobey and get in trouble, but in public they are ladies. Is it too much to ask that I not be subjected to the fruits of your ****ty parenting?

People who assume that when kids act out in public their parents are lazy, bad parents.

My boys would be great in public separately, but if they were together they were im-fvcking-possible. And no amount of timeouts or spankings (yes, I had no qualms about swatting them in a store) would help. Would try bribery (if you can be good in the store, I will get you something) threats (if you don't behave you lose your favorite toy for two days) absolutely nothing worked. Whenever possible, we had to divide and conquer.
Your kids are little ladies in public? Lucky you. Part of that is the fact that they are girls. You will be paying your penance when they are in their teens.

Some people got uppity about things that aren't really science fiction getting that label. Take Star Wars for example. You could make it a pirate flick and replace all of the technology with pirate stuff without altering any of the plot. That's not really science fiction.

Oh Boy.....Now you've done it.

633715367618242110-DARTHVADER.jpg

Back