What Beer Was Your Point of No Return?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A few people have mentioned Rogue Dead Guy. That was my first craft beer, but, I'm somewhat embarrassed to admit, it actually turned me off to craft beer. I didn't enjoy the aftertaste with my young palette that had only had American light lagers.

A few people have mentioned Rogue Dead Guy. That was my first craft beer, but, I'm somewhat embarrassed to admit, it actually turned me off to craft beer. I didn't enjoy the aftertaste with my young palette that had only had American light lagers.

I'm with you... it didn't turn me off... but forgettable at best. IMHO

Growing up in Pottsville PA I drank (and still drink) Yuengling like it's mother's milk. Where I'm from if you go into a bar and ask for a Lager, you get Yuengling. If you ask for anything else you're likely kicked out. With that said, I also drank Smithwicks and Guiness at family reunions as a child (family of Irish Immigrants, as long as you can stand you're ok), along with Yuengling of course.

I unfortunately can't remember for the life of me. Something tells me it was a Dogfish Head 60 Minute. My old boss who got me into craft beer said it might have been Sierra Nevada or something from Brooklyn. My ex-girlfriend seems to think it might have been Dogfish Head or Delirium. I guess I'll never know :(

St-Ambroise Oatmeal Stout, wich is MY benchmark for a good stout (screw you Guinness!).

Magic Hat #9 was my stepping stone into the craft brew world but DogfishHead 90 Minutes was the one that made me fall in love with IPA and never look back

Legacy Brewing co Hoptimus Prime Imperial IPA. My buddy and I saw it in s beer magazine and said we had to get it. went to a beer and wine store and brought it home and drank it. At first we didnt know what to think of it, but about halfway through it we realized how amazing it really was... AND WE WERE HOOKED. Huge hop heads from that day on. Would love to get my hands on another one, but unfortunatly they went out of business.

Am I alone in saying I like my cheap domestic beers? As much as I love my craft beers (and my future homebrews) theres nothing quite like a pitcher of cheap beer at the sports bar across the street. Rant Done :)

My first experience with craft beers was at a local Ale Fest where I discovered my favorite beer La Fin Du Monde. Since then I've become more of a fan of breweries than any one beer. I really love Unibroue, Rogue, and New Belgium.

Am I alone in saying I like my cheap domestic beers? As much as I love my craft beers (and my future homebrews) theres nothing quite like a pitcher of cheap beer at the sports bar across the street. Rant Done :)

You're not alone. I really miss the days where a typical Saturday night consisted of a 5 hour jam followed by ice cold PBR tallboys. I might just call the old bandmates, just thinking about this, altough Jimmy quit and Jody did get married :)

First fat tire, then other new belgium beers, and then it was over. I don't drink them too much anymore but i still enjoy them occasionally.

I'm not even sure I remember anymore. I think it was Franziskaner Hefe.. that's the first good beer I can remember drinking.

For me it was La Fin Du Monde. The taste, alcohol burn, uniqueness all contributed to my never going back to a BMC beer. Granted I had imports and micro's before, LFDM opened my eyes.

Patrizier dunkel. In Nurnberg, Germany. Regards, GF.

My first experience with craft beers was at a local Ale Fest where I discovered my favorite beer La Fin Du Monde. Since then I've become more of a fan of breweries than any one beer. I really love Unibroue, Rogue, and New Belgium.

I will say that the individual beer that I enjoyed the most was a BMC I had in the quonset huts at 29 Palms. After a few days in the desert, it was refreshing.

Hitachino Nest White Ale, which is a bit ironic, because it was only a sip out of a coworkers glass, and I don't even care for the beer anymore. For some reason, that sip set off in my mind the thought that I could brew something like this. I didn't sleep much that night....

For me it was La Fin Du Monde. The taste, alcohol burn, uniqueness all contributed to my never going back to a BMC beer. Granted I had imports and micro's before, LFDM opened my eyes.

These days I prefer several of the North American craft breweries over anything imported, but the first beer that really slapped me in the face and got my attention was Duvel. A cold Duvel in a tulip glass is so incredibly well done and just spot on. Perfect evervescent carbonation, spicy and dry with the prettiest white frothy head. Art in a glass.

When I first turned 21, there was a local sports bar that specialized in craft beer, with around 38 taps available. One of the first beers I got here was Troeg's Troegenator double bock, which showed me the sweeter extreme of beer at the time. I'd consider that more of a stepping stone to what ultimately turned me over for good, when I tried Rogue Dead Guy Ale, since I noticed it was a "bock" as well (having no idea at the time what the differences were between a maibock and double bock). From there I just kept moving on to more bitter beers (something that was originally a turn-off before I knew better)

Black Butte Porter and Widmer Hefeweizen circa 1995, working as a botanist in the wilds of the south central Cascades near Cottage Grove, OR.

:fro: <sigh>

Probably Graceland Imperial Stout out of Bardo Rodeo in Arlington, VA. It was delicious, I got really drunk, and stumbled to a movie directly afterward with a few friends (I remember the friends, don't remember the movie).

Bell's Oberon helped seal the deal, too.

Shortly after my 21st birthday I went to an upscale bistro and had a black and tan (Guinness and Fat Tire). That was the first time I ever had beer with flavor. There was no looking back after that.

For me it was actually Guinness, i know not original but i grew up around a father that strictly only drank budweiser. Guinness to this day is still my favorite stout, and I've cleared every single bottle in the import isle in every liqure store here in abbotsford bc and have tried so many different stouts.

Trois Pistoles (Unibroue FTW!) - I was never much of a BMC drinker anyways, so at the age of 19 it kind of got me into beer, period. I'm largely a hophead these days and it took another year or so for me to get there, but Trois Pistoles and other Unibroue beers directly introduced me to Belgian and Trappist beers which I've particularly worked on trying them all (Westvleteren still eludes me!) Eventually I'm sure I'll make a beer-cation to Belgium and tour the brewpubs with a special focus on the abbeys. To this day though, especially with the limited (and largely temporary) selection here in Ontario and having a ton of family in Montreal, Unibroue products remain my main session brews, and I've always got at least a few cases of Trois Pistoles, Don de Dieu (my favorites), and La Fin du Monde, as well as some of their other stuff.

On a side note, even when I just started drinking beer, I've always found Guinness to be tasteless and watery... at least in terms of flavor. I've honestly always considered it to be just another BMC brew. So it really surprises me when I hear a fair amount of people on this board talk about it in a very positive manner.

Sam Adams Oktoberfest...I tried it 4 years ago after moving up the chain of beer from college days of natural light to amber bock. After trying Sam Adams the rich flavor composition compared to what I was used to, was un parallel. Within the last year I have ventured into more craft beers not offered by my local mega marts, such as long hammer, rogue, dog fish (60 minute by far my favorite draft of all time), Young&#8217;s, Columbus brewing, great lakes brewing, thirsty dog (Russian imperial stout is amazing), magic hat??? (not a favorite at all), to name a few. I cannot stand the smell of a standard pilsner, and the majority of my friends live and die by Busch and Budweiser. Sometimes I feel excluded since I am the only enjoying flavorful beers, but then I remember that leaves all of my beer to me to enjoy.

Visits to Boulder once a year and the dinners at Walnut Brewery started the intrigue, but Coors light back at home was still the main drink. After 3-4 of these trips, around 2007 I permanently set aside the Coors and adopted Newcastle and Sam Adams. NC laws ABV limits were changed in 2007 or so and all the sudden all these strange craft brews started showing up on the shelves. Longhammer IPA hooked me initially, but it was Stone IPA and particularly Bell's Two Hearted that were my hops epiphanies. The citrusy American IPA is still my favorite style.

Three Pines IPA from a local brewpub The Gilded Otter http://www.gildedotter.com. Goes straight from the fermentation tanks to serving vats. It was my first experience with a true craft beer, even though I had had stuff like SNPA prior.

For me it was actually Guinness, i know not original but i grew up around a father that strictly only drank budweiser. Guinness to this day is still my favorite stout, and I've cleared every single bottle in the import isle in every liqure store here in abbotsford bc and have tried so many different stouts.

Guinness lived a very short life in my beer drinking career. At first, back when my favorite beer was Labatt Blue, Guinness was a RARE undertaking, because it was too heavy for me. Then as I became a bit more enlightened, I started to enjoy Guinness. After having Old Rasputin, though, I'm forever ruined to Guinness. I'll still drink one from time to time, but I'd prefer a Murphy's if I'm gonna go that route.

Back