What beer style did I make?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nails111

Reaction score
So, I made up a recipe, trying to use up a bunch of old ingredients I had on hand. Here’s the recipe:

Grain bill

9lbs - Maris Otter
1lb - Weyermann Munich 2
13oz - Red X
8oz - Weyermann Vienna
8oz - Caramunich 2
2oz - Carafa Special 3

Hops

60 min - .13oz Magnum (6.53 IBU)
30 min - 1oz Liberty (15.88 IBU)

Yeast

Wyeast 2206 Bavarian Lager

OG: 1.058
FG: 1.006
IBU: 22.4
ABV: 6.8%

At first, I thought it was going to be Märzen(esque). However, after tasting it, I don’t think it is. It tastes more like an Irish Red (lager). The carafa was used just for color, but there is a very slight roast taste coming through. So now I don’t really know what it is. Is it a Märzen, or an Irish Red lager, or maybe even a very pale and under colored Schwartzbier? Either way, it came out great. I am just curious to hear the opinions of others.

Here’s a picture of it. It has yet to be carbonated or lagered.
674E86BB-9E96-486E-BF19-985B81E9CE03.jpeg

Last edited:
Congratulations, you've accidentally brewed an overlooked style, 24C Biere de Garde. Review the guidelines and see how close it came to that. I think you're in range to call it that.

If you don't like the idea of a French beer style or whatever, then call it a 6C Dunkles Bock, it almost hits that style but is a little too light.

Congratulations, you've accidentally brewed an overlooked style, 24C Biere de Garde. Review the guidelines and see how close it came to that. I think you're in range to call it that.

If you don't like the idea of a French beer style or whatever, then call it a 6C Dunkles Bock, it almost hits that style but is a little too light.
I never thought of that. After reading the description for Biere de Garde, that may be close. I never tried one before, so you have piqued my interest to go find a commercial example. Thanks

I'm agree with what dmtaylor says. If I happened to brew such a beer I would label it a Bier de Garde.
There's no traditional German Lager style close to this one but French rustic Lagers with their more laid-back approach to the recipe formulation allow for using up your grain sweepings some nice creativity :)

Last edited:

So, I made up a recipe, trying to use up a bunch of old ingredients I had on hand. Here’s the recipe:

Grain bill

9lbs - Maris Otter
1lb - Weyermann Munich 2
13oz - Red X
8oz - Weyermann Vienna
8oz - Caramunich 2
2oz - Carafa Special 3

Hops

60 min - .13oz Magnum (6.53 IBU)
30 min - 1oz Liberty (15.88 IBU)

Yeast

Wyeast 2206 Bavarian Lager

OG: 1.058
FG: 1.006
IBU: 22.4
ABV: 6.8%

At first, I thought it was going to be Märzen(esque). However, after tasting it, I don’t think it is. It tastes more like an Irish Red (lager). The carafa was used just for color, but there is a very slight roast taste coming through. So now I don’t really know what it is. Is it a Märzen, or an Irish Red lager, or maybe even a very pale and under colored Schwartzbier? Either way, it came out great. I am just curious to hear the opinions of others.

Here’s a picture of it. It has yet to be carbonated or lagered.
View attachment 810177
With rest temperature above 65, 66 homemade style moonshiners beer. With rest temperature 65, 66 authentic moonshiners beer. Pseudo lager if the beer was made with the step mash method.

Back