What beer(s) have you lost interest in since homebrewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shiner Bock and Guinness Draught just dont interest me any more. I swear Shiner's recipe has changed, or it could be my taste buds :)

+1 I had Guinness at the brewery and to me it was even less interesting/complex there. Nothing special at all. Shiner is the same way. BMC and other lagers as well. Of course I'll partake if that's all there is.

Like Revvy, I think Homebrewing has greatly expanded my beer tastes, but it has also made me much more critical as I begin to understand what the aspects of the different styles are.

I think a lot of the big breweries now just throw out as many styles as they can to try to get to the 'microbrew' crowd. While I have tried most of them, I would rather a brewery do a few things really well than everything just ok (e.g. Sam Adams and Saranac.)

IPAs, everyone has 50 "different" recipes, that are much the same. I used to go to IPA fests and IIPA fests, but YAWN!

Since homebrewing, I've lost interest in most of the import/micro scene. I'll take a Miller High Life if I can get it.

I still love mead though.

I still drink all styles, I just find that I don't like unbalanced and sweet beer. I recently had a stout that a friend of mine brews and it was too sweet for my tastes. Finished out at about 1.018. It made me realize that there are benefits to all styles, you just have to find them.

IPAs got me into brewing, but I just now brewed my first one, and when I make it to the bottle shop, the IPAs aren't the ones I'm bringing home. Nor are they the ones I'm ordering when we're somewhere with a good selection.

So I guess I've just lost interest in Hop Bombs. Belgians and sours (when I find them) are my special treat now.

You can't say DFH is over the top and not include Stone. At least DFH does crazy crap with some of their beers besides dump in more hops.

Yeah but thats some of the stuff I'm avoiding right now. Sahtea, black/blue, palo santo etc. I have the opportunity to buy these beers but I almost always pass them up for simpler beer.

Newcastle brown. It seemed to have "complex" flavours to me years ago. Now it just seems bland.

Ive been screaming that for years. Newcastle has no taste whatsoever.

Ive lost interest in local favorite Goose Island. I used to think their Honkers was a great beer, it just doesnt do anything for me anymore.

I will also say Guinness. Boring.

I used to drink the crap out of Blue Moon, Corona, and dare I say it Bud Light cause thats what all my friends drank. But now I won't touch any of them.

I've come to realize that IPA's & IIPA's have a very short window of perfection for me. There is a point where the hop/bitterness is perfect and when that balance is off I can't enjoy them anymore. Often times with my beers that is a week or two (that's why I am always tossing in more hops). With commercial beers like Pliny it certainly varies a lot.

I've lost interest in a lot of commercial beers, but the biggest "suprise" for me was losing interest in Anchor Steam (my all around favorite beer). I've done side by side comparisons with my house Cal. Common--I like mine better. I'd still take an A.S. over a Sam, DFH, Blue Moon, etc., or pretty much anything else out there though.

I've lost interest in IPA's. I've drank many over the last few years. I've brewed some this year. Seems that every micro-brewery has one. Most of the them aren't that good to me. I realize hops are supposed to dominate however, I appreciate an IPA that still has some malt backbone. To me som eof these beers are only produce for the sake of saying they have one. I hope the fad fades soon.

Anyone who has gave up on Heineken, but hasn't tried it in the Heine-keg can, should try it again. Its a different beer than the green bottled skunk factory.

Yes! Great beer! We don't get it here in MI so I can only enjoy it when I go visit my family in Baltimore.

So sad for you....no matter how my tastes ("palatte") may refine there will always be a place in my heart for Yuengling.

I just moved from eastern PA to Pittsburgh and was shocked to find that people here generally don't understand that lager = Yuengling.

Me: I'll have a lager please
Bartender: What kind?
Me: wha...??

Never was a fan of the bud or miller, but always liked coors. Now, i feel like i'm drinking an empty can. just don't enjoy it, and i'm not gonna drink a beer i don't enjoy. Still like yuenling though. and always PBR. Gotta love "slummin" it sometimes.

on the other end of the spectrum, ive always liked IPA's with certain foods (esp spicy), but recently i've started to enjoy the hop complexity on its own even more. the variety i most want to learn to love is barley wine. Never had one, but from reading recipes i really wanna try some and then brew one.

All of them until now. I haven't had a home brew sense last April. Time to get back into it. I still like all the commercial beer, including Bud, Miller and Coors. Plus all the fancy stuff.

I'll tell you one that I haven't lost interest in: PBR. That is just one delightfully refreshing summer beer. We go through it like it's water here in Portland, even when I've got two homebrew options on tap. It's just a really pleasant beer.

As far as beers I've lost interest in, I'd definitely say Guinness and Murphy's. Too watery. I still like Beamish when I can find it, but the other two are just too light in body.

Like above, I used to think that Blue Moon was a craft beer. I am quite cheap and never really saw myself spending $10 on a bomber of craft beer. I rarely drink BMC any more not because I really can't stand them, but because I have what I'll call a more complex palate now.

I lost all reasoning to buy any of the cheap beers out there due to the fact of not a pop cap bottletop. But if someone brings over say Bud over and its left over after a BBQ its used for just cooking. I mean why waste a home brew on cooking when I can't waste a water downed substitute for something called American beer for that reasoning. Now the wife still enjoys corona for our beach days (we're basically beach bums) but I can divert her in spending that wasted money on some Captain and coke instead.

I hate to be trendy but I'm also a recovering hophead. I just don't care for IPAs anymore and that makes me a little sad inside. I think it's just a matter of overexposure.

But to be a little more in-line with the OP, when I started brewing, I lost interest in Molson Ice. I used to LOVE that beer and now it's just meh.

I just moved from eastern PA to Pittsburgh and was shocked to find that people here generally don't understand that lager = Yuengling.

Me: I'll have a lager please
Bartender: What kind?
Me: wha...??

Haha, I've lived in Philly for over a year and I just noticed people doing that...and it annoys the hell out of me. It's like if someone asks what sort of car you drive and you answer with "a four door."

When I lived in Boston, the same thing started happening with Harpoon and "IPA." Now, I loves me a Harpoon, but it would really irritate people who prefered any of the other 15 IPAs available locally.

Back on topic tho, I've always found much more merit in a well built session beer than anything extreme...extreme beer goes against what I consider the spirit of beer to be.

I can tell you what I've become more interested in -- session beers. You don't find a lot commercially. I can't wait to serve my 3.25% bitter via pseudo cask, and to brew many more under 4.5% bitters, ESBs, milds, browns, etc.

As far as commercial beers, I've lost some interest in IIPAs. I mean, I still like a pliny or something else great, but I've stopped trying every one I see. If someone tells me it's a good beer I'll give it a go, otherwise there's plenty more beers I'm interested in trying.

I lost intrest in lagers in general, especially adjunct lagers. Recently Ive had a alexander keiths, and what I thought was a good IPA, now my preferance has changed....it lacked in taste!
The only lagers I can think of that still might be good on my list are beers like heineken, grolsch, and mayb stella. I like my hops, like many of you!

I have a new appreciation as well, for flavour beer, not beer that "easy-drinking"(water)

I also like adjusting my own ABV levels, instead of highering them like most young brewers would, ive actually reduced them to 4-4.5%.

Pilsners-either commercial, craft brewed, or homebrewed. They just dont do anything for me.

Went to a tasting at Dogfish Head on New Years Eve and they had My Antonia on tap which is their continuous hopped Imperial Pilsner. I figured it may be worth trying. Still not my cup of beer....

Unfortunately my gateway beer, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, has lost its luster for me. I like it and I will order it if it's the best thing on the beer menu, but I find it fairly plain now due to the IPA craze.

I find I've lost interest in most commercial beers. They just can't compete with the freshness of homebrew.. especially in my favorite style IPA's.

Used to flip over a beer called Lions Head. Hard to find where I am. Recently, I found it, got all excited, had some, and all but spit it out. I'd rather have a BMC shoved down my gullet than drink that yellow water ever again.

i'm gonna have to say new castle. man i used to love that **** when i was a kid. i got a twelve pack the other day. bleh. it tasted like some generic brown beer water. no decernable flavors at all. it tasted fake. like it wasn't made with real grains or something. im actually kinda dissapointed that my taste has grown. i can get that stuff anywhere, now i dont like it

I used to like really sweet beers (hefeweizens especially) and lighter beers. I would drink Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat, Bud Light Lime, Corona, Sea Dog Blueberry Wheat, etc.

Now, I still enjoy a good hefe, but I'm preferring IPAs, PAs, etc.

Sadly, Yuengling and New Castle. Those used to be my go-to beers and even now I fall back on Yuengling if I'm out at a bar and they don't have a microbrew on tap, but as my taste-buds have changed it tastes more and more like water to me. I still shake my head at my BMC friends who pass up a pitcher of Yuengling because it's too "strong" for them.

All american and nearly all german wheat beers. Since experiencing alot more styles than I used to have knowledge of, my taste buds just don't like wheat beers much anymore. If I do get in the mood for one it will be a true to style german hefe.

100% agreed on Newcastle. I feel conflicted about it, too, because Newky got me into craft beer. I just can't stand when it comes out all skunked and awful-tasting. Damn those clear bottles.

Ahh so thats the "mexican beer" flavor I thought of, when I had a New Castle last week. My uncle bought a mini-keg of it, and while having a glass I said "its like a watered down brown ale mixed with a corona/mexican beer". It must be the clear bottle skunk...but if that's the case...how'd they manage to get that skunk in the mini-keg....? hmmmm

He didn't have much to say about it either, and just re-iterated that he wished I had brought some GOOD beer!

Back on topic, I'd say Amber Bock, Guiness, and most wheat beers(Blue Moon and Boulevard). While I'll still drink them if its the only thing available, they just aren't as good as they used to be....and there ARE definitely MUCH better stouts than Guiness!!

On a side note: I added some Guiness to a Ranger IPA the other day, and it was pretty good. Was at the bar and wanted something different. Kind of gave a slightly roasty/silkiness to the hoppy brew. I'm almost tempted to try Guiness with an Amber Bock though, just because you can never find a good porter or stout, or really even a brown ale, at the bar! Might as well concoct your own!

+1 on Guiness, New Castle, Blue Moon. I would say Sam Adams, but I have renewed faith in them after being in Boston 2 weeks ago and drank a lot of Boston Brick Red. Great beer!

Used to flip over a beer called Lions Head. Hard to find where I am. Recently, I found it, got all excited, had some, and all but spit it out. I'd rather have a BMC shoved down my gullet than drink that yellow water ever again.

That used to be around $10 for a case of bottles when I was in college and we drank a lot of it as it was far better than the BMC types.

Lost intreats in most magic hats, harpoon, and long trail. They used to some of my favorites.....they just don't do it for me anymore. Over the last 10-15 years they have grown so much as companies... I really feel like the quality has dropped.

Back