What are you reading, or, alternatively, any good books?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
paulthenurse said:
...I was stationed on the 210 foot Coast Guard Cutter Diligence in Key West. ...

:off:
I go past the Diligence daily here in Wilmington, NC. We've also got one of her former skippers here at the school where I work.

I'm reading "Paying the Tab: The Costs and Benefits of Alcohol Control Policy in the United States."

I have to read it; I'm writing a grant.

I've been reading The Hobbit to my 9 yr old daughter this week. She's our creative imaginative one and is loving it. We're almost finished with it. I think she'll want to keep on with LOTR when we're done.

Lil' Sparky said:
I've been reading The Hobbit to my 9 yr old daughter this week. She's our creative imaginative one and is loving it. We're almost finished with it. I think she'll want to keep on with LOTR when we're done.

Very nice! Do the voices, even if you feel weird about it. Your inhibitions mean nothing to your kids. When I read The Hobbit to mine several years ago I made a conscious decision to completely ignore my suburban white guy hangups and really read the book the way I would have wanted it read to me (and the way I remember Nicol Williamson reading it on the original audio production) -- with drama and distinctive voices for all of the characters. They loved it. Later when I read the first and second Harry Potter books to them I did the same thing. One of my absolute proudest moments in life is when we went to see the first Harry Potter movie. Robbie Coletrane does an amazing job as Hagrid, yet when we came out and I asked my kids about the movie, both of them said that they loved the movie but Hagrid didn't sound right to them and they preferred my version :rockin: :rockin: :rockin:

Chad

I'm reading Heartfire by Orson Scott Card.
Also listening to an audio book. Can't think of the title, but it's a story about John Nash.

I am reading "Murder and Mayhem, The War of Reconstruction in Texas". Sounds kinda cool, but it's pretty much just an academic work. It is basically a listing of all confederate supporters in post-civil war "corners counties" in North Texas and their crimes. Also known as the Lee-Peacock feud. Pretty nasty stuff. I knew things were pretty bad at the time, but didn't know how much of the state was pretty much in open revolt even post-war.

I haven't read anything lately (except HBT) but I'd love to read all of Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series again. It's set about an english woman that falls through a Celtic time portal into the 18th century and falls in love with a Scottish laird. The series is one part historical fiction, one part sci fi, and one part romance novel.

At one point in one of the books it goes into a very detailed process on how to floor-malt grain. It sounds dreadful!

I picked up His Dark Materials on Saturday. I really like it. Our first daughters name is Alethea (greek name for truth). I am also reading The HDRI Handbook which is a must read if you have interests in cg graphics.

Vermicous said:
Btw, anyone who says they have read Atlas Shrugged is either lying or a masochist (paraphrasing some comedian). Kudos to you if you made it. I think I finished it, but was so drained by the end I was probably just skimming paragraphs.

I have read Atlas shrugged. John Galt is a hero !

I've picked up Oscar Wilde's "Portrait of Dorian Gray" again. In the winter, I like a little heavier stuff than my usual beach trash and nonfiction stuff. I'm also re-reading Crime and Punishment.

Back