What are you reading now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rereading Harry Harrison's "Stars & Stripes" trilogy. What if Prince Albert died a few weeks earlier and England declared war on the USA over the Mason/Slidell incident in 1861?

Rereading Harry Harrison's "Stars & Stripes" trilogy. What if Prince Albert died a few weeks earlier and England declared war on the USA over the Mason/Slidell incident in 1861?

That sounds interesting. How far into the future does it go?

The God Delusion is a 2006 bestselling non-fiction book by British biologist Richard Dawkins
The_God_Delusion_UK.jpg

Richard Dawkins, well known writer on evolutionary theory, begins this volume by quoting from Robert Pirsig (author of Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance) (page 5): "`When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion.'"

I'm just finishing Louis L'Amour's "The Walking Drum." His only non western, historical adventure novel. And I have enjoyed it thoroughly.

I was disappointed to find out that L'Amour had planned to make it into a trilogy, but died without completing it.

Have any of you read it, and if so, and you are fans of historical novels, can you recommend to me any similarly rousing historical adventures?

I'm a big fan of Kenneth Roberts, and have read all of his works.

But I'm really into the whole swashbuckling swords/pirates/hashisians mythos right now. Has anyone else written anything similar?

Finished Under the Dome by Stephen King a few weeks ago. Currently reading:

The Stand by SK(again)
Pride and Prejudice and Zombies
Physics of the Impossible(trying to read again)

I'm just finishing Louis L'Amour's "The Walking Drum." His only non western, historical adventure novel. And I have enjoyed it thoroughly.

I was disappointed to find out that L'Amour had planned to make it into a trilogy, but died without completing it.

Have any of you read it, and if so, and you are fans of historical novels, can you recommend to me any similarly rousing historical adventures?

I'm a big fan of Kenneth Roberts, and have read all of his works.

But I'm really into the whole swashbuckling swords/pirates/hashisians mythos right now. Has anyone else written anything similar?

Louis L'Amour also wrote "Last of the Breed" which is a non-western adventture in cold war era Russia/Siberia, its a good read. Otherwise, the first two books of "The Sacketts" series are more colonist era early America, with a hint of swashbuckling thrown in for fun. :)

Right now im starting Stephen King's Dark tower series, on the second book "The Drawing of the Three." I have not been in a reading mood recently so its taking me a long time to get through this even though the story is great. Recently I have just wanted to come home and rot my brain with some MW2 or Mass Effect on the 360...

Robert J Sawyer's "Flash Forward". Dramatically different (and unsurprisingly better than) the current TV show based on it.

Louis L'Amour also wrote "Last of the Breed" which is a non-western adventture in cold war era Russia/Siberia, its a good read. Otherwise, the first two books of "The Sacketts" series are more colonist era early America, with a hint of swashbuckling thrown in for fun. :)

Right now im starting Stephen King's Dark tower series, on the second book "The Drawing of the Three." I have not been in a reading mood recently so its taking me a long time to get through this even though the story is great. Recently I have just wanted to come home and rot my brain with some MW2 or Mass Effect on the 360...

I love The Dark Tower Series. It took me a long time to start reading it as I started when I was 14 or 15 and he had just released the 4th book.

Are you playing Mass Effect 2?

Oh cool, I thought 'drum was the only non western he wrote. And I'll look into the sackett seriess.

Right now im starting Stephen King's Dark tower series, on the second book "The Drawing of the Three." I have not been in a reading mood recently so its taking me a long time to get through this even though the story is great. .

I warn you, don't get to emotionally invested in the series....the fact that SK became bored with it becomes evident in later books, I think including the last one...It was a bitterly anticlimactic ending.

The series disappointingly, and almost frustratingly inconsistant, sheer brillance and great potential, with just enough stuff to pi$$ you off.

A history/documentary called "The Century" written by Peter Jennings and another reporter who represented the print medium.....It's a very insightful look at the Twentieth Century. I'm about midway through, 1952-1957. Excellent coffeetable book.

Just started Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series. I needed a break from all that serious stuff I've been reading this past year. It's ultimately going to be a 15 book series, averaging about 800 pages each book. Yeah, I'll be busy for a while!

Just started Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series. I needed a break from all that serious stuff I've been reading this past year. It's ultimately going to be a 15 book series, averaging about 800 pages each book. Yeah, I'll be busy for a while!

No kidding, you'll breeze through the first couple of books, but sometime in there, Jordan let his characters take over that series and each book wanders aimlessly around for 700 pages before something actually gets done in the last 100. Having said that, I'm about to start "The Gathering Storm" once my I get to the front of my library's waiting list for it.:D

"The Book of Basketball" by Bill Simmons.

Great book about the NBA, rating players, teams, eras, etc. with a steady dose of Simmons humor.

Maybe that's why shecky doesn't like Simmons. He doesn't understand his humor? :D

Back