What Are You Drinking Your Beer Out Of?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rgoldstein91

Reaction score
Had this discussion with some friends recently and thought I'd toss it out to the community - What do you all drink out of when you're at a park, beach, BBQ, craft beer event, etc? Do you prefer to stick with cans/bottles or pour your beer out into a disposable cup?

I feel like a lot of people just keep it in the can or bottle instead of a disposable cup, but wouldn't you prefer to see/smell the beer? Curious what everyone thinks!

Home - Spiegelau pint glasses if they are clean, otherwise I have a collection of various beer glasses.
Elsewhere - Beer glass if I can, otherwise can over bottle.

beer-hat-beer-helmet-pic-8.jpg

If I'm camping, I'll bring a glass pint glass that I rinse out. If I'm elsewhere, the depends on the original container and the beer. Greatly prefer bottles because for whatever reason I have a good tactile association with glass and drinking. Cans for beer I hate. Unless it's something like leinies. Cans get poured into a solo cup

Since I make wooden tankards I kind of feel obligated to drink my beer from one of my own tankards. A plus is that wood is a much better insulator than glass or metal so my beer stays cold longer and that's important when you are outside in the Summer in Texas. I have slightly textured the bottom of my favorite tankard in order to provide more nucleation points. Love it.

one_pint_w_alone_t.jpg

Since I make wooden tankards I kind of feel obligated to drink my beer from one of my own tankards. A plus is that wood is a much better insulator than glass or metal so my beer stays cold longer and that's important when you are outside in the Summer in Texas. I have slightly textured the bottom of my favorite tankard in order to provide more nucleation points. Love it.

That is F-en awesome. As soon as I get home I am ordering one! :mug:

If it's anything half decent, I'd prefer it in a cup. If it's crappy domestic beer (say OV), then I'll keep it in the can

With as many beer glasses I've broken the wooden tankard is appealing. Bookmarking the page for further consideration

I would rather see/smell my beer than drink from the can. Anyone who doesn't like to pour out into a clear cup, do you have a reason why not? Too annoying to bring wih you? Dont like the squishy feel?

Just curious why a clear pint glass in a bar is the only way to go, but then outside we abandon it all and go straight can/bottle

If I am out and about, or working in the yard garage a hydroflash insulated cup (beer stays cold a long time) Otherwise a glass or mug depending on what/where/when. My wife did just pick up a case of these for $1 each.

I would rather see/smell my beer than drink from the can. Anyone who doesn't like to pour out into a clear cup, do you have a reason why not? Too annoying to bring wih you? Dont like the squishy feel?

Just curious why a clear pint glass in a bar is the only way to go, but then outside we abandon it all and go straight can/bottle

I may be missing the scope of your question.

If I'm loading up a 6-pack in a cooler for a quick trip to the park or the beach, I am very unlikely to bring along anything more than a bottle opener. Any sort of cup is going to be more likely to spill, and it's just one more thing to have to carry back home with me.

If I'm going to a beer fest, or the patio of a restaurant, or any sort of hosted event, they are going to provide and clean the drinking equipment. Whatever cup they have is what I presume they want me to use, I'm not going to pack in a Spiegelau IPA glass and ask them to fill it. Similarly, there are times when a premium american lager is the style I want to drink. If that gets served to me in a freshly opened can, I will drink it and enjoy the authentic experience!

Now if I'm sitting at home I pour almost every beer I drink into glassware. I have the glasses, and a dishwasher, it makes sense to enjoy the visual aspect of a well made beer, and the aroma can be enhanced as well.

Yeah, just because I'm not sitting at home with a collection of glassware at arm's length doesn't mean that the need/desire for seeing and smelling the beer goes away.

Recently I was at an outdoor event and the only thing available was a disposable clear plastic Coors Light cup. Kind of lame, but I was surprised that it actually kinda-sorta did the trick.

None of this applies in the rare event I'm drinking BMC swill. There's nothing to see and smell in that case, so who cares...

Since at the beach or park it is most likely illegal to have alcohol I would use something that doesn't give any clue that it might contain beer.

As to material, it depends on how likely a glass container might get broken.

I would like to take an entire keg. But I don't have a portable system.

I have various styles of beer glasses and mugs to use at home. I recently took a ride on a fishing boat (didn't do much catching) a bought some canned craft for that. Entertaining more than 4 people at home I break out the solo cups, or people can drink out of the container, just not for most homebrew.

I use a Yeti stainless 20oz tumbler. I would never spend $30 on one personally, but it was a gift. I've seen Ozark Trail branded stainless tumblers that look exactly the same, and people have done side by side tests to prove they work just as well, for something like $8 at Walmart. The stainless tumblers are great because they keep cold, your hand doesn't warm the glass, you can use a lid if you wish (I usually dont), and they do have the plus of being incognito in public :D

At home I use a glass for home brew or any good commercial beers. If it's nothing special then out of the can or bottle. If I'm away, I usually don't take good stuff, so it's out of the can or bottle.

At home, I go with the various types of glass stemmed ware, Snifters, Tulips, Goblets, etc. Mostly, because I like drinking Ales.

I try to pair the beer with the glassware, hopefully to piss off my bottle/can drinking friends, if they're around.

Those are awesome!

I live in a warm area. Yeti tumbler, hydroflask pint glasses are both awesome for keeping it cold. If it's nighttime, I have mason jar mugs with a handle attached. Pretty awesome and tough to break.

Mostly 22oz pilsner glasses but I have recently acquired 2 Guinness pint glasses and a Sam Adams pint glass. My wife likes the pints also, so mostly it's the former...

After reading all of these awesome replies I'm ashamed to say that I just drink my beer out a glass. Preferably a clean one.

Latest posts

Back