What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did I get freakin lucky or what! I went into the liquor store looking for a certain beer. The beer guy left work early, so someone in a different department, who knows absolutely nothing about beer, just let me into the back room to take a look around since what I was looking for was not out on the shelf. I didn't find what I was looking for, but noticed a bottle of this off to the side.

image-1282525487.jpg

I had given up hope of finding this. I really think the beer guy must have set it aside for himself, but, hey, he shouldn't have left work early. :p

Did I get freakin lucky or what! I went into the liquor store looking for a certain beer. The beer guy left work early, so someone in a different department, who knows absolutely nothing about beer, just let me into the back room to take a look around since what I was looking for was not out on the shelf. I didn't find what I was looking for, but noticed a bottle of this off to the side.

I had given up hope of finding this. I really think the beer guy must have set it aside for himself, but, hey, he shouldn't have left work early. :p

Oops ... a powerful lesson for him, this will be!

tyzippers said:
Thanks Wes.

I might have to smash those Pumpkings I got at home after work. Pretend like today didn't happen. Maybe take Friday off to brew. I also got a Vanilla Porter that's been on the vanilla too long that I need to bottle. I think I'm starting to feel sick. ;-)

Nothing about that plan sounds bad. :D
Sadly, I can't take off tomorrow even though I actually am sick, but I'm definitely taking Monday off even though, with my job, I don't usually take holidays off, except the big ones when nobody is open. And I'm finally brewing again on Monday. It has been atleast three months since I last brewed. :(
So Monday is a double brew day!

Niiice! I hopefully got two bottles of that deliciousness coming my way :rockin:

NIZZLE said:
Niiice! I hopefully got two bottles of that deliciousness coming my way :rockin:

Sweet! I'm looking forward to trying it. I'm glad you're getting some as well.

View attachment 145044

Where did you stumbling on that one??

Nothing about that plan sounds bad. :D
Sadly, I can't take off tomorrow even though I actually am sick, but I'm definitely taking Monday off even though, with my job, I don't usually take holidays off, except the big ones when nobody is open. And I'm finally brewing again on Monday. It has been atleast three months since I last brewed. :(
So Monday is a double brew day!

Hope you feel better Wes. Usually I won't just call off unless I have a really good reason to, but sometimes things just start building up and boom! The bomb goes off in my head and I just have to step away for a little while. I think I may be getting there. If I don't take tomorrow off, Saturday will definitely be a brew day! Maybe even a double brew day! I'm going to be rebrewing a couple. One is an Amarillo/Citra/Simcoe APA that I haven't brewed in three years and the other is that big freaking stout I brewed back in April. Though I'm switching out the 099 and using a big ass starter of US-05. Hope it holds up to the alcohol!

DisturbdChemist said:
Where did you stumbling on that one??

At the Specs on I-10 West just west of 610. It was tucked away on a shelf back in the beer stock room. I really can't believe I found it. The only thing that would've made it better is if there was a bottle of the Coconut IPA next to it.

At the Specs on I-10 West just west of 610. It was tucked away on a shelf back in the beer stock room. I really can't believe I found it. The only thing that would've made it better is if there was a bottle of the Coconut IPA next to it.

Would like to try both. Three friends of mine have had the Coconut IPA. None of them know each other, so it was good to get a review from each. All of them said there was barely any coconut flavor.

tyzippers said:
Hope you feel better Wes. Usually I won't just call off unless I have a really good reason to, but sometimes things just start building up and boom! The bomb goes off in my head and I just have to step away for a little while. I think I may be getting there. If I don't take tomorrow off, Saturday will definitely be a brew day! Maybe even a double brew day! I'm going to be rebrewing a couple. One is an Amarillo/Citra/Simcoe APA that I haven't brewed in three years and the other is that big freaking stout I brewed back in April. Though I'm switching out the 099 and using a big ass starter of US-05. Hope it holds up to the alcohol!

Thanks man.
Sounds like some good brews you have lined up.
What's your target ABV for the stout. I pitched two packets of US05, not rehydrated, for my 10.2% DIPA and it worked amazing. That's the moment I was sold on dry beer yeast and that one in particular. I use it now instead of WLP001, which was my previous go to yeast.

Remmy said:
Would like to try both. Three friends of mine have had the Coconut IPA. None of them know each other, so it was good to get a review from each. All of them said there was barely any coconut flavor.

I've talked to one guy around here who has had the Coconut IPA. He said the same thing. The coconut isn't center stage, but the whole beer had a nice tropical flavor to it. He told me if I see it, don't hesitate, just buy it. Haven't seen it though.

Thanks man.
Sounds like some good brews you have lined up.
What's your target ABV for the stout. I pitched two packets of US05, not rehydrated, for my 10.2% DIPA and it worked amazing. That's the moment I was sold on dry beer yeast and that one in particular. I use it now instead of WLP001, which was my previous go to yeast.

According to Beersmith, I'm looking at 1.130 OG and 1.019 FG. Which is about 14.8%. When I used 099, it dried WAAAY out to 1.002! Lots of fusels and bad hangovers from one bomber. I do not enjoy that yeast. I thought a big azz starter of US-05 might do the trick or do you think I might get away with pitching something like 3 packs? I've never really used dry yeast except when I started out and didn't know what I was doing. I still wonder if I really know what I'm doing or just acting like it.:drunk:

Latest BdG, ready to lager.

image-668345644.jpg

image-3158649122.jpg

I'll cold crash before transferring once I buy yet another better bottle Saturday. Very happy with this beer. Think I've got the recipe dialed.

I've talked to one guy around here who has had the Coconut IPA. He said the same thing. The coconut isn't center stage, but the whole beer had a nice tropical flavor to it. He told me if I see it, don't hesitate, just buy it. Haven't seen it though.

It had very nice tropical notes followed by some wicked pine notes. If you don't run across any in the near future just hit me up with a pm. I picked up a half a case of them. :fro:

tyzippers said:
According to Beersmith, I'm looking at 1.130 OG and 1.019 FG. Which is about 14.8%. When I used 099, it dried WAAAY out to 1.002! Lots of fusels and bad hangovers from one bomber. I do not enjoy that yeast. I thought a big azz starter of US-05 might do the trick or do you think I might get away with pitching something like 3 packs? I've never really used dry yeast except when I started out and didn't know what I was doing. I still wonder if I really know what I'm doing or just acting like it.:drunk:

Wow, 14.8%. I'm not sure, maybe someone with more experience with pushing the limits of 05 can help out. When I used it on my DIPA, I got 81% attenuation from just pitching without rehydrating or a starter. So I would assume if you treated it nicely and aerated well it could work for what you're wanting to do.

FermentNEthinG said:
It had very nice tropical notes followed by some wicked pine notes. If you don't run across any in the near future just hit me up with a pm. I picked up a half a case of them. :fro:

I'll keep you in mind, thanks.

Don't make a starter. Do re-hydrate. Two packs is probably enough, Mr Malty says 2.3, but a friend who brew professionally with dry yeast maintains the manufacturers cell count estimates are low. I'd think 05's cell count is based of not rehydrating as pack no longer suggests it, in which case you could get twice as many cells rehydrated over direct pitching. A very good reason to use dry yeast in high grav beers is that dry yeast already has the sterols that liquid yeast needs O2 to make in order to reproduce. I think you can oxygenate buy using a hose tip / shaking up to 1.065-ish, above that you'll make better beer with dry yeast if you don't have an O2 set up.

Dessert while I pour over the bottle list...

image-3842174462.jpg

50:50 Totality Imperial Stout. This is wicked good! :rockin:

Bartender just told me that on Wednesday they are tapping Pliny the Elder, supplication and Enjoy By ... good thing this place is on the way to the brew club meeting I'm planning to attend that night! :mug:

TNGabe said:
Latest BdG, ready to lager.

I'll cold crash before transferring once I buy yet another better bottle Saturday. Very happy with this beer. Think I've got the recipe dialed.

Tough to tell for sure with the table as a background (and on my iPhone ) but that looks impressively clear!

I'm no Dr. or expert and don't claim to be. My personal experience with 05 is that it isn't very alcohol tolerant past around 11%abv though.

Bad day turned into a great day. Popped my first coconut porter open and man this thing is on point. Head retention is great and the flavor is absolutely incredible. So glad with how this turned out.

image-48272576.jpg

Tough to tell for sure with the table as a background (and on my iPhone ) but that looks impressively clear!

Your eyes deceive you. Or my dirty phone case over the lens. Either way, it's not so clear. 4 weeks at 32 will have it looking nice though and bottling with brett means you'll eventaully be able to read through it.

Remmy said:

To much coconut and you'll be drinking a piña colada or sun tan lotion.

Don't make a starter. Do re-hydrate. Two packs is probably enough, Mr Malty says 2.3, but a friend who brew professionally with dry yeast maintains the manufacturers cell count estimates are low. I'd think 05's cell count is based of not rehydrating as pack no longer suggests it, in which case you could get twice as many cells rehydrated over direct pitching. A very good reason to use dry yeast in high grav beers is that dry yeast already has the sterols that liquid yeast needs O2 to make in order to reproduce. I think you can oxygenate buy using a hose tip / shaking up to 1.065-ish, above that you'll make better beer with dry yeast if you don't have an O2 set up.

Thanks for the points Gabe! I'll stick with rehydrating the two packs and see where it takes me. What temp does US-05 like to live in?

I'm no Dr. or expert and don't claim to be. My personal experience with 05 is that it isn't very alcohol tolerant past around 11%abv though.

This is certainly a concern of mine, but the proprietor of my LHBS has used it up to ~13% with out any glaring issues. I'm hoping I might squeeze another 1% out of it. I'll sing to it at night and speak softly to it if it helps! :tank:

Nightstalker said:
Is that even legal to sell beer on Craigslist????

Sorry, water with lunch.

It's against the Craig's rules. I'm pretty sure it's also illegal to resell alcohol. I know some people will say its a collectible and that it's for the bottle and not the contents inside!

Coffee. Black. Getting the final paperwork for the adoption process filled out today, so we can get a court date set. No beer for this guy today, because I have to work tonight, and I'm running low...

jerryteague said:
Coffee. Black. Getting the final paperwork for the adoption process filled out today, so we can get a court date set. No beer for this guy today, because I have to work tonight, and I'm running low...

Congrats on the adoption!

To much coconut and you'll be drinking a piña colada or sun tan lotion.

It's a great, subtle flavor. I used 1 lb. of coco. Toasting it really made a difference. Had I used coconut without toasting it, I suppose there would have been no flavor at all.

Back