What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Basil Hayden Dark Rye

I just picked it up. It’s not as spicy as a regular rye, but still has the slightly drier character compared to bourbon. It’s pretty subtle and mellow. I like it. It’s not going to wow you with strong flavors, but is nice and balanced.

This might be a great introduction into rye whiskey if someone is into bourbon but has never had a rye. There are some bourbon-like barrel flavors with a little spice and less corn sweetness.

Attachments

• 805FEF26-8E6E-4B58-839B-070CFF7F6129.jpeg
    805FEF26-8E6E-4B58-839B-070CFF7F6129.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • A62B070A-F4CC-4718-825C-AB322E0E74D9.jpeg
    A62B070A-F4CC-4718-825C-AB322E0E74D9.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
This from the other night. “Brewed with Maris Otter and a plethora of dark specialty malts. After fermentation it was transferred to Knob Creek bourbon barrels where it rested for 11 months”

Very rich imperial stout, with a righteous depth of oak. One of the best I’ve ever had. This makes me want to brew a copy. And at $16 a bottle it would be worth doing.

IMG_2533.jpeg
IMG_2532.jpeg

IMG_0755.jpeg
IMG_0758.jpeg
IMG_0759.jpeg
IMG_0760.jpeg
IMG_0763.jpeg
While in England I’ve got to try plenty of beers I can’t get back home.
First the lawless lager at the Stone Henge visitor center.
Then at dinner at The George Inn in Lacock England, a Bier on cask and what I was told when ordering ahead was a lager but when I paid I was told it was their English IPA on draft. 🤷🏻‍♂️ Either way they sold beer to go in 500ml bottles so I ordered some.
Lastly the Pale Ale back at the hotel.
Some pictures from Windsor Castle, Stone Henge, Bath & Lacock where r had dinner and some films were made there. Such as Harry Potter.
IMG_0722.jpeg
IMG_0725.jpeg
IMG_0748.jpeg
IMG_0750.jpeg
IMG_0757.jpeg
IMG_8875.jpeg

One of my daughter’s favorite styles is Kolsch. Isn’t it great we are in a “Beer Renaissance,” where you can enjoy a beer with your kids? And she likes it? Wow….! Things have changed.

Today I’m examining a fine patient, Reissdorf Kolsch, Since 1894. Ya know, for being an ale, the folks at Heinrich Reissdorf GmbH do a great job producing a very clean beer – Dare I say it…. Even lager clean! Very much like a good Helles!

Even though this is an ale, Kolsch is traditionally lagered for months, which obviously does the same for Kolsch as it does a good Helles or Pilsner. Yeast continues cleaning up things and dropping the offenders to the bottom of the tank. Let me rethink that – Ale yeast surviving at lager temps? Another one of the quandaries of the beer trade. The result is a great beer!

Surprisingly, the can does not have ABV shown, unusual for a Euro beer. The internet tells be I’m polishing off a 4.8 ABV beer, the glass is showing great head and a good one finger of head, medium carbonation. Das ist gutes bier!!!
BC032947-FED0-45FF-B7CD-CA2AD9E9ECAD.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back