What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What's your untappd name?

I'd love to try one if you're able to set one aside.

Water. Went for a motorcycle ride and still feel cruddy. Just needed to be out.

I know, I'm whiny.

I think I'll clean a keg and rack my bier de garde over.

Consider it done!

Each nostril got a chance! Bailed at one minute.

Had a Blakkr, now this. Went the wrong way.

1408914133195.jpg

1408914157964.jpg

You know damn mother****ing well I can't grill without a double IPA in-hand.

My 5 Boroughs.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1408915379.512368.jpg

And just poured a HB cream ale, Mister Softee. Still haven't finished my DIPA. But I'm sure it'll get smashed in the next 20 seconds.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1408916327.446000.jpg

No!!!!! Such a bummer. How was the trip?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Trip was awesome. Many fish were caught, many more were not. A Manhattan after fishing and then decent beer the rest of the night.

I'm not sure if I screwed up on Thai me up or if they changed their hours. I swore it said daily at 2. Now the web sight says daily at 5. Either way, there is always next year.

Got a growler of Pako's and another of Zonker to work thru in the next couple days.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1408919324.069036.jpg

Well, it's ~95% Maris Otter, ~5% Crystal Malt, all Challenger hops, about 38 IBUs, and about 10-11 SRM, per the brewery.

Here's the most current version I brewed:

6 lbs 12.0 oz Pale Malt, Maris Otter (Thomas Fawcett) (3.0 SRM) Grain 5 93.1 %
8.0 oz Crystal Dark - 77L (Crisp) (75.0 SRM) Grain 6 6.9 %
0.50 oz Challenger [8.90 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 7 19.5 IBUs
1.00 oz Challenger [8.90 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 8 19.4 IBUs
1.00 oz Challenger [8.90 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 9 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg Burton Ale (White Labs #WLP023) [35.49 ml] Yeast 10 -

Gravity, Alcohol Content and Color

Est Original Gravity: 1.044 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.011 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.2 %
Bitterness: 38.9 IBUs
Est Color: 8.0 SRM

I usually get a slightly darker color that BeerSmith predicts, and the color is about right (at least as seen in a hydrometer sample), as is the bitterness. The malt character is a little muted, but that may be a factor of age (with a little light oxidation in the bottles I get). The late hop character is also a little strong, but the character is about right, so that may also be a factor of age. I'll know more once I get it out of primary and packaged and aged a little bit. It's in the ballpark, but I wouldn't call it cloned. Next time around I'm going to use a little lighter of a Crystal and use a little more of it, and tone back the later hops.

I tried both the WLP023 Burton Ale (may be their fermentation strain according to internet rumors) and culturing from the bottle. The WLP023 seems closer, so they may be bottling with a different strain than they brew with.

Meanwhile, another round of BJCP studying w/ Weihenstephaner Oktoberfestbier. Seems if you use the 2014 guidelines this is a good example of Festbier, but per the 2008 guidelines it's very out of style as Märzen/Oktoberfest.

Thanks for the recipe. I'll let you know it turns out when I brew it. Do you think it's necessary to bottle condition? I'd rather keg it and if what you say is true about them bottling with a different strain then I don't think it would matter much if I keg it.

Another from the zeptrey BIF. This one smells a lot better than it tastes. Now, don't get me wrong, it tastes great, but the spicy, yeast dertived phenolics are so intense in the aroma and it's just a shame that they don't come through as strong in the flavor. Maybe it will open up a bit as it warms a few degrees.

_DSC3452.jpg

Gonna regret this second. coconut rum lemonade. ****.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1408920162.508459.jpg

Best part about living in the ****ing woods is not having to edge a damn thing. I'm annihilated goodnight.

Apfelwein. Haven't been feeling chatty lately. Missed a million posts.

Leftovers from bottling my IPA. It's quite tasty, although I think I got some oxygen when I was transferring, so we'll see how it turns out.

1408922720964.jpg

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1408924059.904626.jpg
HB IPA with Columbus, Amarillo, Apollo, Summit and Comet. I was expecting something pretty dank but instead I got a citrus bomb of an IPA. This won't be around long.

View attachment 219837
HB IPA with Columbus, Amarillo, Apollo, Summit and Comet. I was expecting something pretty dank but instead I got an citrus bomb if an IPA. This won't be around long.

kegged or bottles? I've noticed kegs of great beer disappears quicker than bottles of great beer.

Apfelwein. Haven't been feeling chatty lately. Missed a million posts.

I have edworts recipe bubbling right now. Anything I need to know that the posted instructions won't tell me?

I am drunk and searching for a dd cause a really good cl deal might fall through if I don't find someone to take me sixty miles to get three perlik taps with wall mount length backs for 55 bucks!

Latest posts

Back