What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good to know! You always seems to teach me something. Now you know why you are my go to with recipe help :D Thanks!

I'm a huge brewing science nerd... If you are interested in learning more about brett check out brettanomycesproject.com, lots of good info from the guy who opened Crooked Stave after doing the research and dissertation.

2nd cup o' coffee here

Had coffee & chicken flavor ramen with scraps of chicken & french cut green beans. Colder then a well digger's bumm here today.

If this is the one he is adding brett to it doesn't really matter, just leaves more complex sugars for the brett to chew through :rockin:

Long-chain sugars are its friends. The first 20 or so minutes of the mash were at 154.

I need a beer.

Long-chain sugars are its friends. The first 20 or so minutes of the mash were at 154.

I need a beer.

Due to a minor glitch in the system on Sat (small batches don't work since the levels are below the thermometors in the kettles) I wound up mashing my all brett saison at 160 :mug:

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1393953454.037690.jpg

Boil is underway. Need to finish this beer before a big call at 2:30.

Due to a minor glitch in the system on Sat (small batches don't work since the levels are below the thermometors in the kettles) I wound up mashing my all brett saison at 160 :mug:

I've also read that all brett beers behave differently than beers where brett is added at the end of primary fermentation, in terms of attenuation (due to initial oxygenation, non-stressful environment, etc).

Really only have a few examples of recipes I've seen, and no personal experience, but I'd be interested to hear how that beer turns out, and what FG it ends up reaching.

I've also read that all brett beers behave differently than beers where brett is added at the end of primary fermentation, in terms of attenuation (due to initial oxygenation, non-stressful environment, etc).

Really only have a few examples of recipes I've seen, and no personal experience, but I'd be interested to hear how that beer turns out, and what FG it ends up reaching.

This is true. You won't get that Brett "funk" if you pitch as a primary (without Sacc). You need to let the Brett do it's work (eating long-chain sugars and Sacc) to give you some funkiness. That is what I will end up with.

This is true. You won't get that Brett "funk" if you pitch as a primary (without Sacc). You need to let the Brett do it's work (eating long-chain sugars and Sacc) to give you some funkiness. That is what I will end up with.

Yep, agreed with that.

Really wondering about the 100% Brett fermentations - will it still eat those long chain sugars if it's not forced to? Since there will be other simpler sugars available.

Yep, agreed with that.

Really wondering about the 100% Brett fermentations - will it still eat those long chain sugars if it's not forced to? Since there will be other simpler sugars available.

I have zero first hand experience with 100% brett fermentations, but what I've read says to expect about the same FG/attenuation as you would with 100% sacch.

Yep, agreed with that.

This is my first all brett fermentation so I am excited to find out. It doesn't smell as funky as you would get from adding brett after initial fermentation, it smells like a tropical fruit bomb right now. As far as how well it will eat those long chain sugars, I'm not too sure yet. Brett kinda does what it wants to do, but I'm guestimating an FG just below 1.10. I'm gonna let it go for 3 weeks before I consider checking for finished fermentation, but I'm going to let it sit for 6 weeks before bottling. I may have to satisfy my curiosity on gravity and taste for "quality assurance" on Saturday while I'm brewing.

Buzzed. Forgot to take my pre-boil gravity reading. That's what happens when you drink. Took the gravity about 10 mins into the boil.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1393957634.269221.jpg

Competitions are overrated. Where's my next beer!

Is it as amazing as this?;)
View attachment 183592
I'm too afraid to drink my last one because of the sadness that will result.

You need to bring that to the tasting! lol

I've been starting to take Pre-boil gravity for the hell of it and see how many points it rises from beginning to end

I brew beer for myself and my friends. I've also been barbecuing (smoking) for seven years and have never once thought about entering a competition. I do it for fun, not recognition or feedback. We're all different and that's OK.

I brew beer for myself and my friends. I've also been barbecuing (smoking) for seven years and have never once thought about entering a competition. I do it for fun, not recognition or feedback. We're all different and that's OK.

Im just trying to make better beer with help from people who know what they are doing. No need for the comments if you say its ok to be different.

You need to bring that to the tasting! lol

I've been starting to take Pre-boil gravity for the hell of it and see how many points it rises from beginning to end

It's probably not a bad idea to always take a pre-boil gravity reading, but I personally don't worry about it. I'll probably start taking more readings if/when I get a refractometer.

Im just trying to make better beer with help from people who know what they are doing. No need for the comments if you say its ok to be different.

Just send me whatever you plan on sending to the comp. and I'll give you feedback. Don't worry about bjcp categories, I only judge one category: Beer
:D

How long you waiting on that Zombie Monkie? I have one left and its killing me to wait longer. I had one a few weeks ago and the coffee/roast was really starting to become prominent. :mug:

Not sure. It's my last one and I've been putting off drinking it. I'll probably go ahead and drink it soon. Maybe I'll wait and share it with DC.

Drinking a wonderfully chilled Dogfish Head 60 min IPA clone. My first all grain brew :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Home Brew mobile app

This has been the best brew day ever. Had a meeting with the boss at 2:30 and he just postponed. I literally JUST FINISHED capping the fermenter and putting it in the closet. Wow. Talk about perfect timing.

And I was one point off from hitting my OG. Not bad. Time for more beers.

Back