What are you drinking for New Year's?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rewster451

Reaction score
I have a bottle of 2004 Unibroue Terrible. I'm going to crack it early 'cause by midnight I'll be too :drunk: to enjoy it. What is everyone else drinking?

I'm sure I'll also crack some of my leftover Ginger Chocolate Porter, but that's about all I have left of my HB's that are ready to drink.

Man, it's been a long time, but from what I remember, Terrible lived up to its name.

I'll be drinking a lot of "just another golden ale" off tap from my party pig. My girl's parents have done up a great batch of rocky raccoon, and I plan to buy some nice stuff from Total Beverage, the liquor store that used to be a service merchandise.

Of course, I'll probably have a few bloody beers to keep my vitamin intake up (I like mine with V8 and Frank's extra hot sauce).

Of course, if I don't spend 10 bucks on a single bottle, it's just not new years.

my Wee Heavy on tap, ESB on tap, we have a bottle of Sam Adam's Chocolate Bock, beersmith sent me a Hop Rod Rye, Racer 5 IPA, Stone Ruination IPA, an IPA, and his stout (though they probably won't make it to New Year's Eve!). don't know what everyone else will have to drink! ;~)

Sam75 said:
Whatever ORRELSE has on tap. :D

Yeah, Smoked Porter!!! I can't wait!

For real though--I'll keep the Smoked Porter available for a while, but I'm cutting that off early. i don't want that sucker gone. I told everyone coming to BYOB. :p

For other stuff--I have the Michelob Celebrator and Bud Private Reserve, and then a good variety of other stuff.

I'm actually thinking of buying a case of High Life or Miller 1855 to drink during the "games". Sounds like we have a nice friendly game of A-hole planned again. :)

ORRELSE said:
Sounds like we have a nice friendly game of A-hole planned again. :)

Noooiiiiiiccceee!!! I miss that game. Seems like my buddies always want to gamble now instead of the good 'ol drinking games. What a bunch of GD pantywastes! It's like I'm playing cards with my brothers kids or somethin . . .

I'll probably end up drinking swill on New Years. We usually end up going to a party down at the Elks Lodge - $20 cover and all the food and drink is free. I can drink a LOT of Bud Light for $20.

AHU

***** Creek ESB clone and my APA. Was planning on the chocolate jitters stout, as well, but my buddy hasn't kicked the keg I loaned him yet. I also brought back 3L of tequila from Mexico, so that'll get worked into the rotation at some point...

Just me and the girlfriend at my house. I'll be having a few homebrews and an S.A. Old Fezziwig Ale. But the highlight of the night will be a bottle of Samichlaus. I have a bottle in the fridge that I purchased this time last year. On the way home this evening I plan to hit Sam's Liquors and pick up a 4-pack of this year's version.

It is extremely potent beer and the flavor is supposed to change and mellow like fine wine over time. So I want to have my leftover from last year, then some from this year's batch to compare the taste of the two. Then, I'll leave one to mature in the fridge for this time next year!

The happy mug said:
Man, it's been a long time, but from what I remember, Terrible lived up to its name.

Of course, I'll probably have a few bloody beers to keep my vitamin intake up (I like mine with V8 and Frank's extra hot sauce).

I don't want to offend you, but anyone who likes V8 and hot sauce in their beer probably has different tastes than I do. Not that I would be surprised if you're right, but let me dream until I drink it. I've had it a long, long time.

Actually, it's a pretty good way to down the various incarnations of the pale Mexican lager (Sol, Corona, Pacifica)...called a michelada. There's lots of regional variations, but one includes clamato and chili powder, others have lemon juice and a salted rim. Sounds strange, but it's surprisingly refreshing, especially in the proper context.

rewster451 said:
I don't want to offend you, but anyone who likes V8 and hot sauce in their beer probably has different tastes than I do. Not that I would be surprised if you're right, but let me dream until I drink it. I've had it a long, long time.

How could that be offensive?

Bloody beers are one of those things I drink rarely. Very rarely. Maybe once a year. Helps with the hangover.

And, as an afterthought, when I did have Terrible it was before I knew good beer, so I think my previous post is probably void.

Well, the Terrible was good, in my opinion. Actually really good. It was one of those almost winey beers.

Man I got tore up! I had two bottles of champagne and a lot of cheap beers, as well as the Terrible and a Ginger Chocolate. I was up 'til about 5:30. Miraculously hangover-free today though.

With all of the heavy weather here, I just had dinner at GVB (Tannen Bomb & an APA), then went home early and opened the IPA Brut. Good move, cops all over the place.

I had some of ORRELSE's beloved smoked porter. It is definitely good stuff!

Beyond that, I think I drank a metric buttload of Stone IPA. There were others, but that's about it. We had a good time. :D

Yeah, I am corrected. Terrible was good. Really good.

It is not the same as before. The first time we tried terrible, it was different from this time. There was a really heavy sediment in the bottom, and it did taste odd. It may have been the bottom of the barrel or something. This was also two years ago, so it may have been a fluke.

Thank you for making me give it a second try!

Also, have you tried Reunition yet? That's one hell of an IPA. Their smoked porter also hits it just right. Not artificial or unnatural flavor, but real smoked malt. It's just there, enough to appreciate.

No man, haven't tried the reunition. But my roommate is always talking it up. He's really the beer connisseur around here. He's also mostly responsible for the best recipes we've done. My expertise is the method, his is the recipe. My other roommate is a mikey. If he likes it, it's good.

The happy mug said:
Yeah, I am corrected. Terrible was good. Really good.

It is not the same as before. The first time we tried terrible, it was different from this time. There was a really heavy sediment in the bottom, and it did taste odd. It may have been the bottom of the barrel or something. This was also two years ago, so it may have been a fluke.

Thank you for making me give it a second try!

Also, have you tried Reunition yet? That's one hell of an IPA. Their smoked porter also hits it just right. Not artificial or unnatural flavor, but real smoked malt. It's just there, enough to appreciate.

i got a Ruination the other day that beersmith sent me. saving it for this weekend.....can't wait!:drunk:

Latest posts

Back