What are you doing instead of brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Going to my nephew's college graduation. I'm taking my jockey box and a couple of kegs I brewed for the celebration after. I did s dry stout & a blonde ale.

I am jealous. A friend and myself had a donor car we had torn apart to do LeMons with, and were given pretty much all of the parts needed to have it running. We never got around to getting a roll cage installed and then his wife made him get rid of the car. Sad.

That is a great theme though. My mom had the Oldsmobile version of that astro-van. My brother loaned it out to a friend one night and they rolled it. That van was still running as they drove it onto the wrecker. Those things are beasts for being made of plastic.

Not this weekend but last...we ended up winning the highest prize in LeMons, the Index of Effluence! Race coverage here (we are the 666 minivan):

We think they liked us…
http://blog.caranddriver.com/lemons...-gm-dustbuster-minivan-and-a-subaru-xt-turbo/

We know they liked us and showed us leading the race…it is an illusion:
http://blog.caranddriver.com/lemons...a-for-class-c-lead-subaru-xt-ends-day-in-dfl/

We are the last mentioned because we won the HIGHEST prize in LeMons
http://blog.caranddriver.com/24-hours-of-lemons-detroit-the-winners-3/

Finally getting around to soaking 3 buckets of bottles today so I can delabel a 4th bucket for my son. Those ghosts & scorpions are a few inches tall already for the Hell Fire IIPA. Still waiting for my new camera & grains/extract to be delivered today! It'll be nice to have a digital Canon finally. My problem this weekend is that it's also a free fishing weekend the 2nd & 3rd. Momma wanna go feeshin'. Thanks to gavinc posting the link. :mug:

Two of my friends are getting married next weekend. This weekend they're having a get-together for all of their closest friends. It's a shame we have no homebrew ready to drink!

bottling cinnamon beer, sharing a few czech lagers with a czech friend, probally creating empties for the next batch.

oh yea, moving the westvleteren 12 clone to the cellar so it can be there for 2-3 more weeks before bottling.

Well, my wife, my mother, and my mother-in-law are going to the garden center together today, so I'd say there's a strong likelihood that I'll be digging holes and lugging around bags of mulch all weekend.

Joking aside, these weekends are usually pretty fun. I usually fire up the smoker for pulled pork and there's lots of beer and good music involved. Plus the weather is expected to be warm and sunny.

Spreading several yards of mulch on the garden beds around the house. Perfect day for it, 72 and sunny.

I'll be heading out to a Cardinals game (party suite, yes Budweiser will be in the mix today) then heading to the St. Louis Microfest afterwards to cleanse my pallet. I'm not sure I'll be standing at 10 pm.

Finished up my kitchen remodeling project. It has taken 6 months. What an amazing feeling.

Fermentation fridge is busy from last weekend's two batches, so this weekend is all about building up a major taste for the first beer of the evening - by flogging myself to a lather with yard work.

Mission Accomplished.

I'm totally beat, and boy does this beer taste wonderful!

citra_pale_ale_sm.jpg

Cheers! :mug:

As a serial remodeller, trust me...your are not done.

This **** is not my hobby - it seriously takes away from my brewing time and budget.

Anyway, when we moved here the kitchen was in bad shape. It was impossible to install a dishwasher because the countertop was from the 1950s and was about 15 centimeters lower than, you know, like modern countertop height. The sink had a large, copper S-trap that was welded into a cast-iron boot that was lead jointed into the cast-iron sewer pipe. The sink's faucet was also welded onto the water supply lines and there were no shut-off valves. The entire kitchen had 2 wall cabinets and when we took them off, of course all of the backsplash wall tiles came off too. And that caused a large section of the plaster wall to just crumble into chunks. There were 3 single ungrounded electrical outlets plus the hardwire for the stove. The old, armored aluminum wiring (also with aluminum instead of copper core) was also connected to junction boxes that were feeding my bedroom. The walls were multiple colors of old paint. The wire that was supposed to be for the ceiling lamp had it's insulation crumble when I tried to use it. And there was a large, strange shaped built-in cabinet in the corner. It was clear that it needed an entire rip-out, but given the electrical situation combined with the plumbing situation, it wasn't that easy.

There are still a few parts of the house that are on the old wiring and old fuses boxes, but they are only running LED lamps or mobile phone chargers. Everything with any potential to heat up a wire has been moved over to the new electric system. So, there is still some work to finish up that project.

And then there is some painting and mortar repair to do here and there. And I will build a brick grill / smoker in the backyard soon, the bricks are out there waiting.

I've got a shiny, new 3-phase outlet installed on the wall in my garage that can be used for an electric brewing rig which I can hopefully start building soon. But the way things are looking, there is no money for that until the autumn.

This is why I'm glad we are buying a 60's house rather than the 1900-1920's houses we were also looking at.

Admittedly, the kitchen needs redoing, but at least it's fairly modern and all the plumbing and other services are in the roughly the right places and use recognizable fittings.

This is why I'm glad we are buying a 60's house rather than the 1900-1920's houses we were also looking at.

Admittedly, the kitchen needs redoing, but at least it's fairly modern and all the plumbing and other services are in the roughly the right places and use recognizable fittings.

Yes, but you get to deal with "interesting" insulation details, asbestos and lead paint still plus the potential for particle board subflooring. Every era of houses have their own special issues.

My 1930's house has subfloor, then conduit, sleepers covered by 3/4" oak flooring...everything squeaks even is a 15 pound dog walks up there. Though in conduit, all the wiring was still cloth covered and every switch was "end-of-line". Some of the drain pipe was cast iron (good in our environment) but all trunk lines were galvanized. My walls have NO insulation but the drywall is coated in a 1/4" of plaster so sound does not transmit from room to room.

Do not get me started on the issue of the first wave of mass-produced homes (not counting the post WWII bungalows) in the 1970's and 1980's.

Yes, but you get to deal with "interesting" insulation details, asbestos and lead paint still plus the potential for particle board subflooring. Every era of houses have their own special issues.

My 1930's house has subfloor, then conduit, sleepers covered by 3/4" oak flooring...everything squeaks even is a 15 pound dog walks up there. Though in conduit, all the wiring was still cloth covered and every switch was "end-of-line". Some of the drain pipe was cast iron (good in our environment) but all trunk lines were galvanized. My walls have NO insulation but the drywall is coated in a 1/4" of plaster so sound does not transmit from room to room.

Do not get me started on the issue of the first wave of mass-produced homes (no coating the post WWII bungalows) in the 1970'sand 1980's.

Our inside walls are made from MDF and wallpapered over. You need to do a pilot hole for a nail or a screw. Most of the wiring in our basement is cloth covered aluminum. The insulation inside our walls and floors is large wood chips. All of our drain pipe is cast-iron, and the main drain that runs vertical through the basement has a 1-meter long crack along the top side now. Haven't decided whether to jacket it or get out the hammer-chisel to open up the walls and replace it with PVC. If it's replaced with PVC then I need to jump a ground wire so we will continue to have grounding. If it's jacketed, since it's already heavily rusted on the inside then it might just fall someday and maybe on top of my head while I'm on my way to sauna.

Joy. I still wouldn't want to live in an apartment building.

I'm tearing out and redoing the landscaping in front of my house. Hoping to trick some of my brew club members into helping.

Dug and leveled some ground, laid a foundation with big pavers and dry stacked the new grill with SWMBO. The outside layer is actually cement bricks that came from somebody's driveway. The inside layer is fire bricks that came from their fireplace. All free.

We're going to mortar it up next weekend, which will raise it exactly to the perfect height.

10365643_10153467637687697_8108211632763717946_o.jpg

11214143_10153467546237697_4345377061600767314_n.jpg

11202828_10153467634362697_6565897979921233156_o.jpg

This weekend Im going to be teaching some people how to build their own speakers. We will be designing the boxes in advance and then building the cabinets and cutting the openings. To make up for the lost brew weekend, I will be brewing a big ole stout on wednesday. :rockin:

After a stupid move of not ripping out to the studs in the bathroom remodel last year in our 1937 cape cod, the kitchen was a total gut and rebuild from the exterior walls in. Started first of Feb, still not done due to false advertising of a granite sunk instead being a freakin acrylic... So now the Quartz counter has to be replaced (at their cost) because no other sink will fit the custom cutout.... Momma is pissed.... So while we wait, in our infinite wisdom we are now replacing the cast iron tub in the aforementioned bathroom with... Wait for it.... No, not a fiberglass tub... Oh, no that would be too easy.... With ANOTHER cast iron tub. f**kin thing is still over 300 lbs. old one estimated to be near 500 lbs. ugh..... Somebody shoot me.

With ANOTHER cast iron tub. f**kin thing is still over 300 lbs. old one estimated to be near 500 lbs. ugh..... Somebody shoot me.

Been there, done that. Break the old tub up with a 20# sledge. It is easier if you make a cut on both sides of the rim/skirt just enough to remove all the structural integrity then pound a cold chisel into the cut and the whole tub will eventually just split in half.

I refuse to put a new cast iron tub into any remodel (ever again) but I could see doing it if it is not an alcove installation. I would just get it on a couple of furniture dollies and roll it into place then use my engine hoist to lift it off the dollies and do the mortar bed. Any other scenario is going solid surface or good quality fiberglass.

Been there, done that. Break the old tub up with a 20# sledge. It is easier if you make a cut on both sides of the rim/skirt just enough to remove all the structural integrity then pound a cold chisel into the cut and the whole tub will eventually just split in half.

I refuse to put a new cast iron tub into any remodel (ever again) but I could see doing it if it is not an alcove installation. I would just get it on a couple of furniture dollies and roll it into place then use my engine hoist to lift it off the dollies and do the mortar bed. Any other scenario is going solid surface or good quality fiberglass.

I love the solidity of a cast iron tub. I hate moving them. I have an ugly 1970s, what is the color earwax gold? tub in my house that I do not want to mess with until I have to. That method is all well and good though until you have to get it up a flight of stairs. At that point you either need a crane of some sort or several buddies and a sheet of cardboard (put it under the tub like a sled and push it up the stairs and hope nobody slips taking out everyones ankles.)

Well, the long sordid story is this: when MIL (who is moving in to this house, and we are taking her 1899 farmhouse) asked me a month ago "hey, if I buy a new tub, will you put it in?"

Side note; only reason for replacing it is the porcelain had slowly worn down, been painted back in the 90's, paint wore off again, painted it last year, simply did not take no matter how well prepared, so she wanted a nice pretty tub.

So anyway, I did not ask two very critical questions 1)when? and 2)what kind? :drunk: I said "sure" thinking she meant like this fall when she moves in. Came home a week later and there was this behemoth in my drive. ("we don't deliver into the house, we are only authorized for driveway delivery"). In what alternate reality does it make ANY kind of sense to try and put in another cast iron tub when you are not gutting the bathroom? Oh, and the best part.....when doing the sledgomatic on the tub? Yeah..... hit the sink. Cracked that *(&%#$#* thing right across the top. Yay me.
I've been looking at this thing six ways from Sunday, measuring, re-measuring, drawing it up in CADD, rotating, flipping, all that.......dammit.... there is NO way this thing will slide in. I'm gonna have to take out each end to the studs, and then re-install backer board, including building up to the original plaster/concrete level because the tiles next to it are still there. :mad:

I love my wife, I love my MIL, I love my wife, I love my MIL....

Heading Saturday to Reuben's Brews in Seattle (Ballard) to try the Pro-Am Marzen I brewed with them in April.

Sunday is yard/garden work..... :(

I've been looking at this thing six ways from Sunday, measuring, re-measuring, drawing it up in CADD, rotating, flipping, all that.......dammit.... there is NO way this thing will slide in.

I have Found that removing one stud (about 2" higher than the tub flange) in the middle of the drain side wall can often allow it to go in diagonally...but only if the openning is about 1 1/4" bigger than the tub with the drywall/backer board removed. I would never try it with cast iron because you cannot get a mortar bed it but I have done it with one solid surface tub and two fiberglass tubs.

PErsonally, I am never doing an alcove tub again in my life. When I build, corner tub with a bolt down knee wall and a glass panel...or a nice french drain shower (probably this so it is barrier-free) and soaking only tub.

I still plan to brew tomorrow but...

Got a lot of fence work done...now I just need to the steel to build my gate.

Today...well today we hope to get the racevan back on all 4 wheels with it lowered and stiffened suspension. That hopefully means a test drive!

Putting up drywall, then taping and floating. Then after that cleaning up all the drywall dust. Not exactly what I planned to do this weekend, but its gotta be done. Will have time to brew on Monday, as where I work we are flooded out at least until the middle of June. I might be able to go back in a couple of weeks by using a boat to get to work. Finally starting to dry out a little from all the rain down here.

I gotta drive the moving van for my older son & his fiance today. Gotta go at 9:30 to pick up the truck. I just hope my pain pills will make it easier for them to get me in the darn thing to start with?! Gotta get some more beer in the fridge before I leave for later...:drunk:

I really need to put the remanufactured lower front control arms on my tuner. I got an airbag sensor gone bad someplace as well. Damn sensors, sensor controlled valves, etc have gotten expensive.

Latest posts

Back