what are the odds that my fermentation is close to over?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krausenmustache

Reaction score
Brewed sunday, pitched 2L starter @ ~4:00pm, 1.060 OG. Fermenter has a 3/8" blowoff tube. Active fermentation began in about 3 hours. By monday night, bubbling slowed to once every 45sec. tuesday morning virtually no bubbling.

This is my first AG batch and I really dont want to open it to get a reading until Im ready to rack to secondary.

Based on your experience:

1.) Could fermentation be mostly completed (and ready for secondary) in such a short period of time?
2.) How much further fermentation could i expect once racked to secondary? (never used one before)

Chances are, it's finished fermenting and is on to the cleaning up after itself phase. However, why rush things? Leave it in there for 2-3 weeks and you won't have to guess. Racking into secondary is optional, and when you do, you should be sure fermentation is done before doing so.

FF

Leave it in there for 2-3 weeks and you won't have to guess.

+1

I try to wait at least 10 days before taking an initial reading, and then give it a few more days (whenever I remember) before taking the second reading to confirm fermentation is complete. Even if you reach your FG, the yeast will still be cleaning up for a couple of days...

I wouldn't even consider racking to secondary much before 10 days anymore, so why even bother to take a reading before that? Check it right before you're ready to rack it, and if it isn't quite done yet, wait a few more.

Back