What are the Main Differences Between Wine and Beer Making?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mew

Reaction score
I'm a beer-brewer who wants to try his hand at wine. What are the main differences between wine and beer making?

I started making wine first. I started beer afterward, because wine takes soooooo long! I've only been doing this for 9 months, so I'm no expert but I see the differences as this:

Wine is easier and more forgiving
You don't "brew" (cook) wine
In wine, chemicals are used usually- campden, pectic enzyme (for fruit wines), stabilizer, etc. Very quick and easy to use, but a little different than beer.
Wine takes longer to ferment out completely
Wine can be sweetened after it's done, if you want a sweet wine.
Primary fermentation in wine is usually covered with a cloth to keep out critters, but to let co2 escape- no airlock until secondary fermentation.
Also, more fermentation takes place in secondary than with beer- for beer, the secondary is more of a clearing tank. In wine, fermentation does happen in secondary.

Wine is more forgiving because it has a higher alcohol content so it's less likely to get infected. Not impossible, but less likely. Vinegar can happen if it gets contaminated.

The equipment is basically the same (you need a corker instead of a capper) and so is the process. If you find a recipe you like and follow it closely, you should be just fine. I'd recommend doing some reading on winemaking- jackkeller.net is a great site. It's hard to navigate at first, but go to "basics" and he'll tell you everything you could ever need to know and it's easy to understand.

Lorena

Thanks for the info.!
Why no airlock during primary? I'm just a little curious.

So that oxygen can get to it. Oxygen is very important during the first stages of fermentation- you are usually starting with a higher o.g. than with beer. So, the beer might go from 1.095 to 1.020 in three days or so- then you move it to secondary, and rack off the sediment while doing so. Then fermentation will finish under airlock, from 1.020 or so to .990 (usually).

You do cover it with a towel or muslin, so that fruit flies and other critters can't get to it.

Lorena

How thick of a towel or napkin do you use, or does it matter? Would disposable paper napkins work?

Back