What are the best "local" beers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ghost in the Machine from Parish Brewing is the best local beer around here.

Charlie Brown & Lucy, the RVing brewery dogs agree! They took my wife and I there one evening and we sample a few of the brews. They had a good bourbon barrel aged imperial stout that was pretty heady! I liked the Canebrake too.

There's a LOT of locals (loosely defined) springing up lately. Most are mediocre to decent. But I'd say Port City really shines with just all around good solid beer, especially with their seasonals. To my knowledge, they still don't distribute outside of VA, DC, and MD.

Mad Fox does some EXCELLENT renditions of English styles, although they're more famous for other things, and their distribution is minimal at best, mostly VA brewpub and DC bars only.

My best, I'd say is Oliver's in Baltimore. I haven't had a chance to try many (only at a few bars around here), but they've all been excellent. Of course, I love the English ales, and Oliver's does English ales brewed right, brewed by an Englishman, and they're fantastic.

We get Port City stuff down here in NC. Their IPA is good, but the PC Porter is one of the best I've had.

There's a LOT of locals (loosely defined) springing up lately. Most are mediocre to decent. But I'd say Port City really shines with just all around good solid beer, especially with their seasonals. To my knowledge, they still don't distribute outside of VA, DC, and MD.

Mad Fox does some EXCELLENT renditions of English styles, although they're more famous for other things, and their distribution is minimal at best, mostly VA brewpub and DC bars only.

My best, I'd say is Oliver's in Baltimore. I haven't had a chance to try many (only at a few bars around here), but they've all been excellent. Of course, I love the English ales, and Oliver's does English ales brewed right, brewed by an Englishman, and they're fantastic.

Have you ever been to Bluejacket in DC? That is hands down, the best brewery Ive personally been to. Every single beer on their menu is some awesome creative thing that would be my first pick at any other brewery

Although near me, there is a tiny (I mean like size of a ski lodge at the top of a mountain) brewery in the middle of nowhere called Scratch. They run on a "no flagship" philosophy and every beer they make has some kind of foraged ingredient from pine needles for an IPA to chanterelle mushrooms in a saison. Their system is only 100gal and they have the same tiny pump I use

Gotta give a shoutout to 603, From the Barrel, and Moonlight Meadery, some killer breweries/meadery is this tiny town

Have you ever been to Bluejacket in DC? That is hands down, the best brewery Ive personally been to. Every single beer on their menu is some awesome creative thing that would be my first pick at any other brewery

Although near me, there is a tiny (I mean like size of a ski lodge at the top of a mountain) brewery in the middle of nowhere called Scratch. They run on a "no flagship" philosophy and every beer they make has some kind of foraged ingredient from pine needles for an IPA to chanterelle mushrooms in a saison. Their system is only 100gal and they have the same tiny pump I use

I've been. They're alright. But what you call creative I usually call gimmicky. Not my style.

Lots of folks from NC on this thread...we are blessed with a lot of good breweries in this state. I'll add a couple more:

Olde Meck brewery has a great Copper Ale and my favorite Dunkelbock.

Green Man Brewing from Asheville has an excellent ESB and Porter. I sat at the Jack of the Woods bar in Asheville and drank way too many pints of those listening to local music a couple of years ago.

LAB brewing in Asheville has an excellent chocolate porter that I stop in for anytime I'm in the area. Of course Foothills is famous for their Sexual Chocolate Stout that proves the value of a good name!

Appalachian Brewery has Long Leaf IPA...quite tasty!

Appalachian Brewery has Long Leaf IPA...quite tasty!

I had a can sent up to me from a buddy in NC, tasty indeed. Then I was amazed at the journey this beer made to get to me. The bulk of it is actually contract brewed just 45 minutes from me at Redhook's NH location...then it's shipped down to you guys, then it was shipped back up to me. And we can't even buy it here!!! I helped my friend work on their garage doors, there were pallets and pallets of cans, and I can't even buy any

I've been. They're alright. But what you call creative I usually call gimmicky. Not my style.

Q beat me to it. Though I have had some interesting things from them, there are better options in DC to choose from.

I had a can sent up to me from a buddy in NC, tasty indeed. Then I was amazed at the journey this beer made to get to me. The bulk of it is actually contract brewed just 45 minutes from me at Redhook's NH location...then it's shipped down to you guys, then it was shipped back up to me. And we can't even buy it here!!! I helped my friend work on their garage doors, there were pallets and pallets of cans, and I can't even buy any

Wow, I had no idea that was such a well traveled beer. I've only had it on tap locally. I'm sure that sort of arrangement is more prevalent than we think.

Cincinnati/Dayton area here. From Dayton Warped Wing is good and in Cincinnati my favorite is MadTree. I'm about to head over there before a Reds game tonight and see what they are serving at the moment :)

Back