What are the best Cincinnati breweries?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danielthemaniel

Reaction score
My wife and I are planning a trip to the Cincinnati/Newport KY area next month to celebrate our 5th wedding anniversary. We both love a wide variety of beer styles and appreciate a good ambiance. My question, what are the must visit breweries?

I moved out of Cincinnati back in September. There are a ton of breweries in that area. Rhinegeist and Mad Tree are the big boys in town and really good but usually packed. My favorites were Street Side and Rebel Mettle. Rebel Mettle just opened right before I moved but was pretty impressive.

I was not a fan of the beer at Moerlair Larger house or Taft's Ale house but both had really good food.

I don’t hit breweries, but a local one is called Paradise Brewery ( they are also a LHBS). You can go to their face book page to see their menu (will need to scroll down a bit on their page). My red ale (Red headed step child) that I brew is receipe from there.

Several nice breweries in Cincinnati. But the one that made an impression was definitely Rhinegeist. Yes it's usually packed. But there is a reason for that. The roof top bar is nice and usually less crowded. (At least the times I've been there)

If you are there for the quality of beer- streetside, urban artifact, listermans are the places to go. Better than the ky spots. If you want an environment more than beer madtree or rhinegeist> everyone else. Should probably hit rhinegeist rooftop just for the views alone

Braxton is definitely worth hitting. It's a bit outside the city (maybe 20-30 minutes from downtown depending on traffic) but Cartridge Brewing is very good and has good food, and Sonder is worth a visit. Narrow Path is good as well, especially if the weather is nice as their outdoor area is lively.

Taft's is OK, their core beers are decent but I don't care for a lot of their rotating offerings. Decent food and their building is pretty killer, though. Worth a visit just to say you went. I feel about the same about Rhinegeist, although their beer is better. Mad Tree is one of my favorites in that area, both in terms of beer and experience.

If you like live music, Fretboard is a good stop, the beer is decent and they have good live music a lot of nights.

Oh, if you like New York style pizza, check out Goodfellas in the "Over the Rhine" neighborhood. Really good pizza joint and the upstairs is a bar area if you want to grab a drink as well.

I used to live there, so when I visit family we always hit the breweries. I go like once a year now.
Like everyone has said, Rhinegeist and Mad Tree are the big ones... As tall as the Rhinegeist brewery is, Mad tree is long.... Both have a ton of offerings and are above average to say the least. Mad Tree has a third party renting space in that enormous tasting room and that third party does wood fire pizzas. Stellar.
Hands down... best beer in my opinion is Listermanns. It looks like a dive but -gawd damn. Big thick juicy neipas, chewy stouts.... and everything in between. I can not wait to go back. They have consistently placed in the Festival of the Barrel Aged Beers here in Chicago.
The Taft Ale house on Race Street is a converted church and is absolutely beautiful inside. Food is great... it is a perfect place to start for lunch.
Have a great trip! Don't forget the Skyline Chilli and Graters Ice Cream!
Go Bengals! WHO DEY!!

You'll have no problem finding a wide selection here. Depending on what I'm drinking depends on where I go.

I used to live there, so when I visit family we always hit the breweries. I go like once a year now.
Like everyone has said, Rhinegeist and Mad Tree are the big ones... As tall as the Rhinegeist brewery is, Mad tree is long.... Both have a ton of offerings and are above average to say the least. Mad Tree has a third party renting space in that enormous tasting room and that third party does wood fire pizzas. Stellar.
Hands down... best beer in my opinion is Listermanns. It looks like a dive but -gawd damn. Big thick juicy neipas, chewy stouts.... and everything in between. I can not wait to go back. They have consistently placed in the Festival of the Barrel Aged Beers here in Chicago.
The Taft Ale house on Race Street is a converted church and is absolutely beautiful inside. Food is great... it is a perfect place to start for lunch.
Have a great trip! Don't forget the Skyline Chilli and Graters Ice Cream!
Go Bengals! WHO DEY!!

While Listermann is my LHBS, I have lived here all my life and beg to differ on the "everything in between" portion.

Of the approx 15 taps, usually about 7 are NEIPAs, 4-5 are some kind of ridiculous diabetes pastry stout, 1-2 fake kettle sours and 1-2 normal beers. They're a "whatever is the current fad we sell" brewery - which is great for them, bad for the consumer that prefers anything but those 3 styles.

Of the approx 15 taps, usually about 7 are NEIPAs, 4-5 are some kind of ridiculous diabetes pastry stout, 1-2 fake kettle sours and 1-2 normal beers. They're a "whatever is the current fad we sell" brewery - which is great for them, bad for the consumer that prefers anything but those 3 styles.

Hmmmm... That is a shame. Like I said -I go to the Nati once a year or so. My last 2 trips were not Listermann stops. This past December I did Dead Low, (which I really liked), Mr. Carmel (meh), and Little Miami (it was ok).
I just had such a great experience when I was last at Listermanns that its always on my list of places I want to go. Just like Taft Ale, (but thats more for the building its in). But if Listermanns is now exceptionally limited in the offerings, then I understand where you're coming from. I don't live there. You do. I wish I did. 3 styles isn't enough for those who want variety. :mug:

I'm also not a Listermanns fan. Some of their beers are decent, but most are far too sweet for my liking. I've never been to their brewery, I've only had their packaged beer.

The suggestions are all good. I'd have lunch at Taft's. It's an 1850's church that they restored for $10 million. Their Gavel Banger IPA has won local and state awards. Whether or not you go to Madtree, try their Psychopathy IPA.

1621425846528.png

1621425910028.png

Semi-on topic is this question-- does anyone know how Dan (Listermann) is doing? Although I haven't talked to him in years, we go way back to when the place to talk about homebrew was on CompuServe!

I have to admit that I haven't been to Cinci other than fast in/out since he opened the brewery, but he was always (guessing still is) a great guy to visit with when I was in town. Gee, time flies...

Back