What are electrolytes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donasay

Reaction score
I am making Brawndo beer, because it has what people crave! To be authentic I thought I should include some electrolytes, but I have no idea what electrolytes are.

Potasium, magniesum, calcium, sodium, chloride, hydrogen carbonate and phosphate. They help conduct the electrical impulses in your body. To much or too little of certain ones can cause arrythmias.

electrolytes are the anti-hangover

seriously, I went to Cabo with a bunch of doctors from here in town a few years back, and when I asked what the cases of Pedialyte were for, they are proceeded to tell me how they kill hangovers. And you know what? It freaking works

They also use electrolytes to make Brawndo.

Drinking Brawndo is like riding a dinosaur attached to a rocket ship.

Beerlord said:
No, actually, I'm not.

Actually I think you are wrong, electrolytes are what plants crave, and are a key ingredient in Brawndo. The things you mentioned are chemicals, and I wouldn't drink them if they were put into an energy drink. I want to add some electrolytes to my Brawndo style beer, so if anyone knows where I can find electrolytes, I would like to know.

Donasay said:
Actually I think you are wrong, electrolytes are what plants crave, and are a key ingredient in Brawndo. The things you mentioned are chemicals, and I wouldn't drink them if they were put into an energy drink. I want to add some electrolytes to my Brawndo style beer, so if anyone knows where I can find electrolytes, I would like to know.

Beerlord is correct....

http://health.howstuffworks.com/question565.htm

I tried to read that thing and it started off boring and slow with the internet trying to bull**** everyone with a bunch of smart talk: 'Blah blah blah. You gotta believe me!' That part of the article sucked! But then I just just went off and said, 'Man, whatever! You guys are as wrong as ****! We all know that.'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idiocracy

It is from a movie, a funny movie to boot, but it still doesn't get to how I add eclectrolytes to my beer.

Donasay said:
Nope, been a critical care nurse for a long time, I know what electrolytes are and what they do. If you don't want to drink them stay away from gator ade, power ade et all, and if yo want them out of yoru body thats cool, but you'd be dead in seconds with out them.

Seriously though guys, I know you are right, and I knew what electrolytes were before posting, it is from a movie called idiocracy. I thought it would be fun to make a beer after the energy drink Brawndo "The thirst mutilator" that is advertised in the movie, "it has electrolytes". I don't know how to add electrolytes to my beer, as they don't sell jars of electrolytes at the gatorade shop. I thought it could be funny, and I could get someone to tell me how to add electrolytes so when someone says "thats good beer" I can say "Because it has electrolytes"....

Last edited by a moderator:
Take your pick here:

Phosphate Buffered Saline - powder

Lots of other sources if you google PBS powder. The link provided gives you the chemical composition. By the way, this is designed to match your blood electrolytes. You could just weight out some table salt (NaCl) and/or some "lite" salt which is a mix of NaCl and KCl. Add some phosphoric acid and you are good to go.

Or you could buy some of the gatorade mix packets with the weakest flavor and add that to your brew.

Chimone said:
electrolytes are the anti-hangover

seriously, I went to Cabo with a bunch of doctors from here in town a few years back, and when I asked what the cases of Pedialyte were for, they are proceeded to tell me how they kill hangovers. And you know what? It freaking works

Knew dat:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost.php?p=134029&postcount=32
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost.php?p=386924&postcount=13
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost.php?p=452461&postcount=38

:D

Beerlord said:
Nope, been a critical care nurse for a long time, I know what electrolytes are and what they do. If you don't want to drink them stay away from gator ade, power ade et all, and if yo want them out of yoru body thats cool, but you'd be dead in seconds with out them.

sarcasm anyone?

I know this is an old thread but I saw a thread about adding electrolytes to beer and it made me curious. I also found a paper about adding salt to beer and did some calcs. In the paper they added 25 mmol/L salt. and someone here mentioned adding PBS. Adding 15ml of 10x PBS will achieve the same NaCl concentration as used in that paper. Wondering if anyone has tried anything similar??

I read that article earlier and wondered if it didn't give you a hangover because there was no alcohol in it and not because of the electrolytes....

Simplest way to think about it is that electrolytes are salts. They carry charges which your body uses to fire nerves.

This thread is a joke. All you people posting to it seriously, well I don't know what to tell you, so stop it.

I got the joke the first time around. I thought it was funny that an old thread got revived a couple days after I read that article. I can't speak for anyone else. They may be sarcastic, and we all know how well that translates over the interwebz.

Back