What a Hobby!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moon_street

Reaction score
Starting brewing 1 year back... first brew was 12/11/2021.
Loving it. My sister said no one sticks with beer brewing... this forum alone proves her wrong.

I was an organic chemist at FMC corp as my first career out of college. This bring me back to those days. Stir plates, Temp controllers, Thermo couples. Etc.
Such great fun. Chemistry that you can drink. (I was making experimental pesticides/herbicides back in the day).

Really hard to find a better hobby for and ex-chemist / beer lover.
And all of my friends are enjoying it too.

Have already found so much great advice here through google searches. Looking forward to interacting with all of you directly in the near future.

Really hard to find a better hobby for and ex-chemist / beer lover.
And all of my friends are enjoying it too.

As a chemist, you might enjoy "The Chemistry of Beer" by Roger Barth. There are a couple of similar books, but they don't compare favorably IMO. The chemistry will be pretty elementary for you, but the beer part might keep it interesting.

And it's not just an academic read. It will probably help you (or anyone) make better beer.

Thanks for that. Funny you bring that up. I was actually looking into an online program UC Davis offers: Master Brewers Certificate Program.
Seems geared for people looking to go pro. (My wife frequently complains I take things too far... but that is part of the fun)
Went back and forth on it... might still do it someday. Here is the course reading materials if your interested:

- Scientific Principles of Malting and Brewing (ISBN 9781881696087)
- Standards of Brewing (ISBN 9780937381793)
- Technology Brewing and Malting (ISBN 9783921690871)
- Brewing Yeast and Fermentation (ISBN 9780632054756)
- Brewing Materials and Processes (ISBN 9780127999548)
- Vol 1: Practical Handbook for the Specialty Brewer (ISBN 9780977051915)
- Vol 2: Practical Handbook for the Specialty Brewer (ISBN 9780977051922)
- Vol 3: Practical Handbook for the Specialty Brewer (ISBN 9780977051939)
- Quality Management (ISBN 9781938469152)
- Introduction to Food Engineering (ISBN 9780123985309)
- Beer Packaging (ISBN 9780978772673)
- Building a Sensory Program (ISBN 9781938469671)

Well i can help simplify home malting for you....

But you have to answer one question that's been racking my brain, is it possible to have an acid-base salt that's not water soluble?

And Welcome! :mug:

How does someone with Homer Simpson on their profile pic ask a question like that?

you'd be more surprised i only made it through the 4th grade, and know what an reductive amination is...although not fully....

and also a fishcer esterfication...safe for home use!

but still welcome, all types hang around the DIY bar!

Back