Wet shaving thread.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will eventually be going that route. I just don't know what to look for in a good straight razor...or how to use it.

Sent from here, because that's where I am.

Check out whipped dog .com for a good shaving straight razor I recommend the sight unseen deal, add in the poor mans strop kit and you have a good start!

I got a whipped dog sight unseen deal a while back, I'm still shaving with it, in fact it's my go to razor most mornings, all it needed was some polishing up with some mag wheel polish and it looks a treat!

First shave with the safety razor went off without a hitch this morning. Nothing to it, really. At first I thought it was no better than with the Gillette but several hours later, it is clear that I have less stubble than I normally do. It was certainly a more pleasant shave with the badger brush , etc.

I've been playing with the idea of a slant for quite some time. I have an Art of Shaving store in the mall and they won't even carry a slant. I can't even look at one, hold one.

I've got to buy it sight unseen on the web.

I've been using a Merkur Barber Pole for over a year now with great results............................. I've been using a single blade for over 30 years, but can this get even better?

I've got really tender skin & a course beard................................ based on your experience................................. I should just do it!

It's only a $50 gamble and I can always sell it on eBay.

Never heard of wet shaving before. I've been using those multi-blade shaving cartridges, and every time I shave my face breaks out like a teenager. So I've only been shaving like once a week. Fortunately my facial hair is thin and blonde enough that I can get away with it. I was thinking about going electric to see of that helps, but maybe this is the answer?

Never heard of wet shaving before. I've been using those multi-blade shaving cartridges, and every time I shave my face breaks out like a teenager. So I've only been shaving like once a week. Fortunately my facial hair is thin and blonde enough that I can get away with it. I was thinking about going electric to see of that helps, but maybe this is the answer?

Electrics were worse for me, I would get really bad ingrown hairs all over my neck, a switch to a vintage safety razor and a cheap brush and puck of shave soap from Wally mart

There is an easy learning curve to it like anything, but I don't regret making the switch one bit!

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Electric was even worse for me. I have very thick coarse black hair, but very sensitive skin...my ingrown da are killer. Wet shaving and a safety razor have helped significantly, but still I have learned to love a beard or stubble look. The days I have to shave regularly i just do a single pass knowing I won't have a close shave but it won't irritate my skin.

Safety razor is not the end all cure for me, but it helps significantly. Just don't go electric...only electric I have is for...other areas!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

As for irritations and breakouts, I find that if I wet shave regularly, daily, its not a problem. Its when I am more intermittent (say on a vacation) that I am more likely to have irritation and reddish skin splotches. For me, the really sensitive spot is above my upper lip.

Not sure if it's just because it's new to me, but I find myself wanting to lather up with the badger brush in the evenings...even though i shaved in the morning. I love it.

I have a brush that is 50/50 badger/boar and it is getting softer with age. Softer & fuller. Oh, it's getting to fan out big time!

Is it just me......................... or did that sound really gay?

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

I have a brush that is 50/50 badger/boar and it is getting softer with age. Softer & fuller. Oh, it's getting to fan out big time!

Is it just me......................... or did that sound really gay?

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Who am I to judge?

I asked my wife and she said softer and fuller don't work together... I explained that it was a quote about a guy and his shaving brush, she said... Oh, that sounds gay..

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Haha...I told my business partner about buying an "old school" razor and a badger brush. He looked at me funny and asked if I used a loofah, too. I find this similar to responses from pure BMC drinkers to craft beer. A guy who uses a silly little piece of plastic that was designed to shave a woman's legs is insinuating that a real razor is somehow feminine...or that shaving like WWII era soldier, with a brush and a mug, is womanly. Not unlike people who drink nothing but low ABV, light tasting beer calling my 9% DIPA or 10% RIS "fruity pants" or "yuppie" beer.

EDIT: but with that being said, I would be lying if I said half the reason I use the safety razor and badger brush isn't for the feel of the brush applying that second round of menthol, eucalyptus lather to my recently shaved face...I guess that is a little suspect...hahaha.

So I took the plunge!!!!

Picked up a Merkur Slant Barber Pole nicknamed: The Sledgehammer. Not too cool of a nickname for a razor.

http://badgerandblade.com/reviews/s...37&title=merkur-39c-slant-sledgehammer&cat=44

& two shaves into it, I'll agree, you're right, it's better. YMMV but it's................... Closer, smoother, slicker! Now I've had 1 year experience with the 38C and gotten so good with it I can complete the job in no time or shave with my eyes closed without any issue, but like anything else............................... getting used to this slant will take some time. I've been real careful, taken my time & been rewarded greatly.

I can see why the Art of Shaving mall store won't stock this baby, it's much more aggressive than the 38C. If you're not careful.............. look out! If I apply the automatic shave without thinking, I'll destroy my face.

I'm very happy.

Thank You. :ban:

P.S. I was once a newbie to this whole wet shaving thing & looked everywhere for some additional input. Along with the great YouTube videos, here's a goody I found:

http://www.artofmanliness.com/2008/01/04/how-to-shave-like-your-grandpa/

So I took the plunge!!!!

Picked up a Merkur Slant Barber Pole nicknamed: The Sledgehammer. Not too cool of a nickname for a razor.

http://badgerandblade.com/reviews/s...37&title=merkur-39c-slant-sledgehammer&cat=44

& two shaves into it, I'll agree, you're right, it's better. YMMV but it's................... Closer, smoother, slicker! Now I've had 1 year experience with the 38C and gotten so good with it I can complete the job in no time or shave with my eyes closed without any issue, but like anything else............................... getting used to this slant will take some time. I've been real careful, taken my time & been rewarded greatly.

I can see why the Art of Shaving mall store won't stock this baby, it's much more aggressive than the 38C. If you're not careful.............. look out!

I'm very happy.

Thank You. :ban:

Next stop? (or should I say strop?)

Oooooooooold school...

straight razor!!

perhaps the most basic and primal shaving method aside from plucking or using a sharpened rock

I love the feedback of a straight, a hollow ground straight sings when shaving your face, you can actually hear when you are shaving those whiskers clean...w

And there is a relaxing focus of purpose when shaving with a finely honed steel blade... I love my safety razors for convenience but more often than not I'm reaching for the straight. Like reaching through time to days long gone by and connecting to them in a mirror with a fine edge.

I need to learn to use my straight razor...can't get any sort of shave around the mouth/chin...but it works wonders in my sides. I currently use it to blow off my beard before I shave with the safety. I do love the primal aspect of it too, and the sounds it makes is great. It's a sexy dovo.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

WOW! Why didnt anyone tell me about this before?

I threw out the chinese mach turbo vibrating razor with 48 blades, headlights and a kick stand and got me a 1950ish stainless steel German safety razor, shave cup and soap, and a badger hair brush.

Shaving is actually not a huge pain in the a$$ now, its kind of nice. Smooth shaves, haven't cut myself yet, smells nice, no razor burns. Best yet, new blade? 50 cents. :rockin:

I honestly don't understand why we left safety razors and went to disposals? I am guessing marketing by the big razor cartels.

Spend the 50 bucks or fire up the Delorian and get one guys. Money WELL spent.

WOW! Why didnt anyone tell me about this before?

I threw out the chinese mach turbo vibrating razor with 48 blades, headlights and a kick stand and got me a 1950ish stainless steel German safety razor, shave cup and soap, and a badger hair brush.

Shaving is actually not a huge pain in the a$$ now, its kind of nice. Smooth shaves, haven't cut myself yet, smells nice, no razor burns. Best yet, new blade? 50 cents. :rockin:

I honestly don't understand why we left safety razors and went to disposals? I am guessing marketing by the big razor cartels.

Spend the 50 bucks or fire up the Delorian and get one guys. Money WELL spent.

What blades are you using? I buy Shark blades on amazon, I see they are going for 10 dollars for 100 blades. They last me forever since I use straights most days, and only pick up a safety to trim around the goatee if I'm in a rush, or I'm due to hone the straights.

The razor itself is Merkur, so i have just Merkur blades.

I suppose there are cheaper blades out there but i was happy with these and 50 cents seemed cheap compared with what i was coming from.

i've been using my Merkur for about 8 years now, and just recently starting tying out my Dovo straight razor.. i bought it a while back just to get practice at it to be sure i would like it before i made the investment of a good straight and i wouldn't have to worry about sharpening it while i was still learning to use it.. going well, may actually get a straight sometime but if anybody is interested in trying out a straight w/o worrying about sharpening for a bit, would be the right way to go

Been a while since visiting this thread. I have been shaving exclusively with my straight razor for a little over a year now. I remember when I first started and everyone said to use "both hands" while shaving - I thought they were insane. "You want me to hold that blade next to my face with my left hand???? Yeah, Right!!!!" But, they were right. I am almost better with my left now than my right.

I did get a nice addition to the shaving collection. I bought a shaving scuttle a while back. Super nice having warm lather for the shave!

So im almost out of my shaving cream, and I need some help picking out a new one. Some parameters:

-I usually have a beard, but like to lather up to clean the neck. Shave about once a month/every 2 months. Meaning, I dont mind going a tad pricier since it will last me.
-I want to try a good shaving soap and dish, i find creams really clog the DE.
-I really like the art of shaving smells, but i feel being such a brand name it might be high price for crappy product.

Suggestions? I see this more as a spa like experience item, rather than just a shave and go thing. Thank you good sirs!

So im almost out of my shaving cream, and I need some help picking out a new one. Some parameters:

-I usually have a beard, but like to lather up to clean the neck. Shave about once a month/every 2 months. Meaning, I dont mind going a tad pricier since it will last me.
-I want to try a good shaving soap and dish, i find creams really clog the DE.
-I really like the art of shaving smells, but i feel being such a brand name it might be high price for crappy product.

Suggestions? I see this more as a spa like experience item, rather than just a shave and go thing. Thank you good sirs!

I really like the Col. Conk sandlewood soap, and have also become a fan of Tabac.

Having just noticed that you shave once every month or two, any soap you buy should last at least a decade, so on second thought you'll probably want to go higher end than either of my recommendations!

I really like the Col. Conk sandlewood soap, and have also become a fan of Tabac.

Having just noticed that you shave once every month or two, any soap you buy should last at least a decade, so on second thought you'll probably want to go higher end than either of my recommendations!

Well, closer to a year, maybe 2 haha. I still shave the neck every 2 days or so...nothing looks worse than the dreaded neckbeard.

Ill look up those 2, thanks.

Well, closer to a year, maybe 2 haha. I still shave the neck every 2 days or so...nothing looks worse than the dreaded neckbeard.

Ill look up those 2, thanks.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1404875056.995248.jpg I joined the club today. Thanks to this thread and a few you tube videos I managed to get the whole process without incident. I wish I made the switch years ago. I feel like a new man.

I bought a lot of feather blades in the beginning and I liked them when I first started. I was amazed at how much closer of a shave I seemed to get. After 2 years of wet shaving and poking around a bit, I am settling in on Astra blues and Personna blues as my top picks for blades. (I use a Parker 99R BTW).
I'm a soap maker, and I have a full shave line and try and keep abreast of all things shave for my customers. Dual edged shaving (and all wet shaving for that matter) is steeped in technique and it takes a while to find what suits you and your hair/skin/technique. It's one of the most personal things about this journey and one of the best reasons for embarking on it.

I bought a lot of feather blades in the beginning and I liked them when I first started. I was amazed at how much closer of a shave I seemed to get. After 2 years of wet shaving and poking around a bit, I am settling in on Astra blues and Personna blues as my top picks for blades. (I use a Parker 99R BTW).
I'm a soap maker, and I have a full shave line and try and keep abreast of all things shave for my customers. Dual edged shaving (and all wet shaving for that matter) is steeped in technique and it takes a while to find what suits you and your hair/skin/technique. It's one of the most personal things about this journey and one of the best reasons for embarking on it.

I agree, wet shaving is a great journey and the longer you do it the better it gets. I am an Astra green guy myself.

I also like to hang out at theshaveden.com it is a great place to learn all things shaving.

I'm a soap maker, and I have a full shave line and try and keep abreast of all things shave for my customers.

Very cool! Do you sell online or via a website? As a moderator, I give you special dispensation to post the link once here, without a vendor membership, since I doubt any of our vendors are selling shaving soap with their hops . . .

;)

Back