Wet hops and alpha acid percentages

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SethMasterFlex

Reaction score
I recently placed an order for 2 lbs of Amarillo wet hops for delivery at harvest time. For those who have ordered wet hops before, do they ship with an alpha acid percentage, or is this not possible as they're straight off the vine?

I'm going to brew a dIPA with my wet hops. I'd like to use some for FWH along with warrior or another high alpha hop to compliment for bittering. I realize it's a dIPA and I probably shouldn't get too hung up on IBU numbers (I know I can approximate as Amarillo is usually 8-11%) but I just can't subdue my scientific, data collection side. :mug:

Since wet hops weigh 4-5 times what dried hops do, if they don't have a number you'll need to divide the usual alpha acid percentage by 4-5 to get an estimate (in this case 1.6%-3.7% AA).

I'd save most of the hops for late in the boil, or dry hopping since that will take the most advantage of their aromatics. Some FWH could be interested, but you'll have to get most of you IBUs from the Warrior.

Hope that helps, good luck!

Oldsock said:
Since wet hops weigh 4-5 times what dried hops do, if they don't have a number you'll need to divide the usual alpha acid percentage by 4-5 to get an estimate (in this case 1.6%-3.7% AA).

That's why I bought 2 lbs. My mouth is watering at the prospect of what that much Amarillo looks like. :)

I know you are supposed to use wet hops ASAP. How does this affect dry hopping with them two weeks later? Do I need to use 4-5 times as much for dry hopping? Or is it simply for bittering and alpha acids?

This is my first wet hops experience by the way.

I know you are supposed to use wet hops ASAP. How does this affect dry hopping with them two weeks later? Do I need to use 4-5 times as much for dry hopping? Or is it simply for bittering and alpha acids?

This is my first wet hops experience by the way.

I've never dry hopped with wet hops, but there was discussion in another thread about freezing them to save them for it (when I tried this before reading that the defrosted hops looked like defrosted spinach, didn’t have the heart to use them). The numbers should translate similarly to bittering, but since they aren't dried you should get a more pungent aroma than the math suggests (although it won't be enough to outweigh with the lower oil content ounce for ounce)

Here is a recipe that Russian River used for a wet hopped pale ale (including bittering with them), it includes 1 lb at flame-out and another 4 oz for dry hops (my instinct for a DIPA would be to use 1 lb each at flameout and dry hop).

That Russian River one was for 10 gallons. But, after doing some more reading, and it seems only proper for a dIPA, I might order an extra pound and put it all in at 15, 10, 5, and whirlpool/Flameout for 30 mins. Then, I might dry hop with whole dry cones.

If you can't tell already, I prefer my dIPA's to be more hoppy than malty. :mug:

Latest posts

Back