Wet Hop Harvest Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveTF

Reaction score
I have hops growing in the garden. I want to do a wet hop beer this fall. I would love to do one like Founders Harvest Ale but can’t find any recipes.
For wet hopping I have cascade, centennial, chinook and Comet.

Any suggestions on a good recipe?

Sorry this isn't very specific. When My Cascades are ready, I just throw in a few handfuls as late hops in whatever APA I'm brewing.
I also did a search of HBT using "wet hop pale" and came up with a few ideas. Alternately, you might search your hops and read up on wet hopping, or use a calculator to adjust a recipe you like.
Good luck, have fun, keep us posted.

If you're looking for something like Founders Wet Hop, while I don't know for sure, I'm guessing the grain bill is mostly pale 2-row, with Crystal 40 in there. Adjust amounts for what you are looking for OG wise.
similar with hops, adjust for your desired ibus.

Really any recipe is fair game to turn into a harvest beer. You probably want something with assertive hop flavor so pale ales and IPAs are easy styles to employ. Many of the fresh hop beers commercially are just an IPA the brewery already makes but with fresh hopping substituted in. Plenty of west coast pale ale and IPA recipes with cascade, centennial and chinook you can convert.

For a pale ale I would move any late boil additions to the whirlpool, adjust the bittering addition to account for the movement, then convert your whirlpool addition to a big fresh hop addition. Typically the exchange rate is 5oz of fresh hops for every 1oz of dried hops. For an IPA do the same thing but you may still want to add a dry hop addition.

Latest posts

Back