Wet Grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krelja

Reaction score
So my basement flooded and one bag of grain got wet. It's not totaly soaked but a good majority of it is wet. The blue bag inside was partially open so it didn't save much. What are my options? As of now I'm going to separate the dry stuff from the wet stuff. Is the wet stuff a goner or should I try to brew with is ASAP, it is technically malt conditioned lol. Of course it had to be an unopened bag of Marris Otter why couldn't it have been some leftover pale or 2-row:(

perhaps you could dry it very quickly in the over on baking sheets and it would be OK. If it's wet for too long I think it would turn sour.

My first question would be, What caused the flooding?

+1 Uncontrolled water entry to your house can also carry many unknown "items" in the water.

Question. Would you eat the wet grain right now? If the answer is no, why consider brewing with it? :confused:

toss it. Even the "dry" grain is wet. The moisture is in there. Even if it only absorbed 5% moisture, now all your measurements of grain for your recipes is 5% off.

+1 for if you wouldn't eat it rite now, then why would you brew with it? Flood water is NO GOOD! Would you use that water that flooded into your basement as mash water?

That sucks that you just lost 50 pounds of maris otter, but better to replace that now, than waste all the other grains, hops, yeast and time put into brewing beer with it that will turn out nasty, and maybe make people sick,

agreed - I would not use it. Floodwater is nasty **** and can contain all kinds of bacteria, sewage backup, and chemical runoff from lawns, etc...

Sump pump took a crap and the basement got water. I agree with everything posted but I was trying to be optimistic. Thanks for confirming what i already was thinking

Back