West Coast Coconut IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UncleD

Reaction score
Every once and a while, I try a beer that really stand out to me. This summer I tried "Coconut Contender" by Duck Foot brewing, and I've been looking for it in Northern California since then. Without any luck, I decided i'll try and brew it. Here's what I went with, it's currently in primary as we speak, really looking forward to how it comes out...

Malt Bill
- 1 Lb Crystal 60
- 7 Lbs Light LME

Hop Bill
90 Min - 4oz Columbus
60 Min - 2oz Simcoe
45 Min - 2oz Mosaic
30 Min - 2oz Simcoe
0 Min - 2oz Amarillo
0 Min - 2oz Mosaic

Dry - 4oz Fuggles

Extra
- 8oz unsweetened coconut flakes at 15 minutes left in boil
- 8oz "dry hopped" unsweetened coconut flakes

Yeast
- White Labs California Ale Liquid, WLP001

OG was 1.036

I'll keep you all posted on progress! Cheers!

Last edited:
Every once and a while, I try a beer that really stand out to me. This summer I tried "Coconut Contender" by Duck Foot brewing, and I've been looking for it in Northern California since then. Without any luck, I decided i'll try and brew it. Here's what I went with, it's currently in primary as we speak, really looking forward to how it comes out...

Malt Bill
- 1 Lb Crystal 60
- 7 Lbs Light LME

Hop Bill
90 Min - 4oz Columbus
60 Min - 2oz Simcoe
45 Min - 2oz Mosaic
30 Min - 2oz Simcoe
0 Min - 2oz Amarillo
0 Min - 2oz Mosaic

Extra

OG was 1.036

Following this. I hope the results are amazing! Cheers!

Malt Bill
- 1 Lb Crystal 60
- 7 Lbs Light LME

Hop Bill
90 Min - 4oz Columbus
60 Min - 2oz Simcoe
45 Min - 2oz Mosaic
30 Min - 2oz Simcoe
0 Min - 2oz Amarillo
0 Min - 2oz Mosaic

Extra

OG was 1.036

Also what yeast strain did you use for this?

Also what yeast strain did you use for this?

White Labs California Ale Liquid Yeast, WLP001. Edited original post.

Also dry hopped with 4oz Fuggles. Just racked to secondary yesterday!

Just a personal opinion here, since I've used coconut many times, I would recommend skipping putting any in the boil and simply put it all in a fine mesh bag in the fermenter for the last week. I use a large crystal ball to weigh it down since the coconut is buoyant and will rise above the surface of the beer if not weighed down. When kegging once the bag is halfway exposed I put my fist in a plastic measuring cup and with it push-squeeze the bag against the fermenter wall as it drains into the keg to extract as much sucked up beer. I use finely shredded coconut for increase extraction due to more surface area exposure and coconut sucks up a lot of beer so you will want to squeeze it or you'll lose a lot. I also toast the coconut in the oven then let it cool a bit before putting it into the fermenter.

Doing it this way I get great coconut flavor!

Rev.

Just a personal opinion here, since I've used coconut many times, I would recommend skipping putting any in the boil and simply put it all in a fine mesh bag in the fermenter for the last week. I use a large crystal ball to weigh it down since the coconut is buoyant and will rise above the surface of the beer if not weighed down. When kegging once the bag is halfway exposed I put my fist in a plastic measuring cup and with it push-squeeze the bag against the fermenter wall as it drains into the keg to extract as much sucked up beer. I use finely shredded coconut for increase extraction due to more surface area exposure and coconut sucks up a lot of beer so you will want to squeeze it or you'll lose a lot. I also toast the coconut in the oven then let it cool a bit before putting it into the fermenter.

Doing it this way I get great coconut flavor!

Rev.

Thank you for the feedback! Yeah, I wasn't sure what the boil would do. I thought about shredding them up more, but I'm just not sure how much flavor the 8oz of coconut flakes would add. I'm always worried about over-doing it on the flavor. I'm definitely going to ring out the coconut during kegging, as it does look like it will soak up quite a bit. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out and what I want to tweak for the next time!

Just kegged it yesterday, I was surprised at how string the coconut was in my sample. It's much stringer than I had expected. I'm hoping the aroma part will wear off, but we'll see. The color looks great.

I plan to grab my first pint this weekend!

So how did it turn out? Also, I'm curious what the IBU was - I see you had quite a bit of early hop additions in a 90 minute boil.

Back