Went Fishin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Pistolero

Reaction score
Some buds and me went fishin over the weekend...caught a pretty big catfish. It was kind of exciting...thought you guys might like to see some pics. :cool:

bigcat2.jpg

El P. -
That's a fairly good - sized what we call a big medium in these parts. Don't blame you for keeping him if you couldn't find a real keeper. Bet his momma misses him. You get him on a cane pole or a handline? That's one more BAMFF !

Ohhh! Ever here the one about the two Aggies that walked out of a bar one night..Hey, It could happen. :D

Or, how many aggies does it take to eat an armadillo? Three...one to eat, while two watch for traffic. :D

Just stallin...Ok do you know how Aggies practice safe sex?
they get rid of all the animals that kick.

kenmc said:
us folk in Europe would like to know what an aggie is....?

Webster's: slang for a marble; can be of any class, type or style, though originally derived from the word agate as in a natural stone marble.

or

The name of the mascot for the college "Texas A & M"

Just to clarify a bit...it's not just Texas A&M, but any school that has A&M at the end of their name, or any school that's ever had A&M at the end of their name. It is not permissable to "un-aggify" yourself by, for instance, changing your name from Oklahoma A&M to Oklahoma State University. ;)

Really they're just generic jokes...you Europeans could just substitute yanks instead of aggies and they'll work just fine. ;) When aggies tell those same jokes they generally substitute sooners or longhorns (more mascot stuff) during college football season, or software engineers throughout the rest of the year. :D

Yeah I figured they were reasonably generic, but had never heard of "aggie" before.
We have Kerrymen jokes in Ireland, for people from the county of Kerry, in the Southwest. you could probably adapt them.
E.g.
What do you call a Kerryman under a wheelbarrow? A mechanic.
What do you call a Kerryman under a car? Jack
What's the latest kerryman invention?? A waterproof teabag/solar powered torch/underwater hairdryer/........
And one for the Welshmen : What do you call a sheep tied to a lampost in Cardiff? A leisure centre!

Thank you I'll be here all night.!:)

kenmc said:
We have Kerrymen jokes in Ireland, for people from the county of Kerry, in the Southwest.
HEY! :D Me great-great-great-great grandfather (Paddy O'Pistol) was a Kerryman...where's me cudgel. :mad:

Generally, when you talk about an Aggie in the southwestern US, people assume you are talking about Texas A&M University. There's an explaination of the term "A&M' at the bottom of this page.

Don't suggest to the Brits that they pick on the Yanks. They've already got the Irish. Don't know why they do it , though.

God invented whiskey to keep the Irish from taking over the world

sudsmonkey said:
God invented whiskey to keep the Irish from taking over the world
Don't look now, but it didn't work...the emerald isle is now the richest (per capita) country in the world. :eek:

Right on ! Here I was thinking it was Germany or Japan. With all that money, do you think they still drink poteen, or are they drinking store-bought liquor?

This Irishman walks into a bar and orders three beers. He sits alone at a table and drinks those three . When he's done he orders three more. He does this for about a week before the barman works up the nerve to ask him about it. " I've two brothers. One moved to Australia and the other went to America. We three drink our beer in threes so that we can be together in spirit, no matter how far apart we are." . This satisfied the barman who spread the story among the other curious patrons. Weeks passed with the Irishman drinking his beer in threes. One night, he only ordered two. The barman brought them to the table with his deepest conolences over the passing of one of the Irishman's brothers. The Irishman responded" No, and bless ye, lad ! Me brothers are both alive and well, thank you ! Myself, I've given up drinking for Lent!"

No offense to the Irish Bros. My family left County Cork around 1760. I claim potic license.

Family tree says we go back to king Haremond ( about 1700 B.C.). It also says that the twelve original families of Ireland claim that line. Could be B.S. , might not. Either way, I'm still a redneck/ alkie cable guy. Glad to find out that I've got relatives in TX, though. We gonna start sending Christmas cards? :D
BTW. Since we're family, and alll,could you possibly see your way clear to letting me in on next week's VA lottery numbers ? I promise to share the winnings with all relatives that homebrew.

El Pistolero said:
Don't look now, but it didn't work...the emerald isle is now the richest (per capita) country in the world. :eek:
Yeah and bloody Dublin is like the 12th most expensive city to live in. It's rediculous. Starbucks just opened a store in Dublin (first in Ireland) last week. It's EUR4.55 for a grande mocha. Thats $5.50 or so! :eek:
Go to the cinema and it's like being raped when you get popcorn and drink. A friend of mine paid EUR8.50 for icecream and a small (and LARGE here is smaller than your small in the US) Coke - $10.40.
It's nasty. I remember when we could get a pint of Guinness for IR£1.50. thats about EUR2 in todays money. Cept now it costs upwards of EUR3.80 for a pint. And I drink a lot of them on a night out.
:(

Hey, you guys arent still sore over that whole American Revolution thing , are you? The way I read it, it was all a big misunderstanding. We weren't complaining about the taxes, we thought you said Texas....and...welll... Sorry,man.

sudsmonkey said:
Hey, you guys arent still sore over that whole American Revolution thing , are you? The way I read it, it was all a big misunderstanding. We weren't complaining about the taxes, we thought you said Texas....and...welll... Sorry,man.

Revolution? What Revolution? I thought we just gave the States away so we could concentrate on running the rest of the Empire. :D

Roger.

And a fine job you did! Without you there'd be no Porter, Pale Ale, IPA, most of the ciders( johnnie jump-up),no Nut Brown. We would'nt know what Grog was. There'd be no really good sea stories from the time of Nelson. There'd be no Black Sabbath. I'd have never heard of an armfull of bacon butties. Ireland would be free to conquer the world( O.K. I'm kinda sore over that one). We'd all say Eric Clapwho? The Who would just be a question.
Damn! I'd have to say the English have contributed more ( Now that you don't have those darn colonies to worry about anymore) to modern civilization than any other country. By the way, you guys did a great job with the London Bombings. When it happened to us, we invaded a country at random. You guys kicked in doors and butts to get to the bottom of the situation. Good move.

Yeah, and Lead Zepplin would still be just a bad ballon ride and Jethro Tull
would be just another hillbilly east of the Mississippi. ( had to think about spellin that one too)

Where have you been? I've been trying to cover all these posts by myself tonight. Not an easy task, even when sober. The English also gave us Elton John, David Bowie,Freddie Mercury(up side) ,George Michael, Boy George, Mad Cow and Charles and Camilla(down side). Think they've done enough?

Sorry, just saddle up. Was preparing for a brewday tomorrow. Saw that you'd been busy but it looked like you were pretty much just suckin wind ...so I went ahead and jump in on a few. was wondering why it got so windy all of a sudden.

Yeah, those Brits have got that "Get ur Done" attitude. But, come to think of it The Beatles took some lessons from the "blues dudes" prior to coming over and starting Rock n Roll didn't they. Seems many of there chord progressions had some blues inspirations. Blues was a Colony thing right..born out of slavery ... progressed to Lawrence Welk..Right?

Don't forget the Hee Haw influence, but they all stole from Little Richard, didn't they? There's a guy who's even more delusional than I am. Claims Hendrix stole from him as he's sitting there dressed in a Jimi costume.
Guess I am sucking air tonight. Boredom has set in. Think I'm going to bed and see if Spot really is going to catch the ball.

sudsmonkey said:
There'd be no really good sea stories from the time of Nelson.

You aren't refering to when the Royal Navy were humiliated during the War of 1812 are you? :D Lol
Yes I know Nelson was killed 7 years before 1812 but you know what I mean.

Sudster, "Jethro Tull would be just another hillbilly east of the Mississippi."
oh dear, he was born into the Berkshire gentry in 1674 and went on to invent the mechanical seed drill. Hillbilly indeeed! :D

Roger.

Back