Well my first barleywine has been brewed!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HalfPint

Reaction score
I brewed Jamils English Barleywine tonight, here was my recipe

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: English Barleywine
Brewer: Jacob
Asst Brewer:
Style: English Barleywine
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 8.5 gal
Estimated OG: 1.113 SG
Estimated Color: 16.1 SRM
Estimated IBU: 63.2 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 120 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
22.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM) Grain 94.58 %
0.63 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 2.71 %
0.63 lb Caramunich Malt (56.0 SRM) Grain 2.71 %
2.00 oz Horizon [12.00 %] (60 min) Hops 54.8 IBU
1.35 oz Williamette [4.50 %] (20 min) Hops 8.4 IBU
0.60 oz Williamette [4.50 %] (0 min) Hops -
0.50 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1.00 tbsp PH 5.2 Stabilizer (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
2.00 oz Oak Cubes (French House Toast) (Secondary Misc
2 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 23.26 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
90 min Mash In Add 29.08 qt of water at 160.2 F 150.0 F

Everything went just about perfect, I hit all of my temps, but I had some boil off issues. I've never boiled for longer than 90 minutes, so the 120 thing was a shot in the dark. I ended up being about 3/4's of a gallon short, and poured in some bottles of water. I ended up getting 5.5 gallons @ 1.100 leaving me at around 66% efficiency. All in all, I think it's gonna be great!

Also, I'm considering adding around .5-1 lb of sugar to the primary, what do you think?

Going for a higher alcohol percentage on a barley wine are we? The OG already looks high, adding it during primary wont get you any sweetness. Just boost the ABV.

what do you think, would you add sugar or not? By Jamils standards, I hit my numbers spot on. In his book, the original recipe said OG 1.100, so I'm good by him, but I want a bigger beer I think. With that said, I want a big good beer, not a big thin beer which is what I'm worried sugar will do. Thoughts?

I thought only boiling the sugar thins beer, Im probably wrong...If you want a bigger beer adding the extra 'Food' for your yeast will for sure bump up the ABV. As far as body is concerned I don't see it helping. So if its more body/mouthfeel your going for I'd say no.

As far as getting a Bigger Full Bodied beer, I only know how to add more with grains, and from the looks of the recipe there isn't much as far as specialty goes. Looks like an Imperial Blonde or something along those lines -the Oak cubes.

Im no expert I just browse the site and try and read as much as possible...Look up adding sugar to secondary in the search and read some threads. I'll do the same and post back results if I find anything. Sorry for not having your answer set in stone fore you, but if It was me I would leave it as is. You have done all you can by hitting your numbers, now its the yeast turn. Don't rush things and you should be good.

To me adding the sugar will just give you exactly what you don't want a Big Beer with a thin body.

Just my take on things

By the way. You have the best name on the site. My girlfriend would be impressed she loves all reggae...she would automatically assume your name has to do with Sublime, but I don't blame her.

Cheers

what do you think, would you add sugar or not? By Jamils standards, I hit my numbers spot on. In his book, the original recipe said OG 1.100, so I'm good by him, but I want a bigger beer I think. With that said, I want a big good beer, not a big thin beer which is what I'm worried sugar will do. Thoughts?

I wouldn't add the sugar since you hit the OG spot on, and the recipe was designed as a "classic". Once you try the classic version you can mess with it a bit next time. Those are my 2 cents.

I wouldn't add the sugar since you hit the OG spot on, and the recipe was designed as a "classic". Once you try the classic version you can mess with it a bit next time. Those are my 2 cents.

Yeah, I figure the notty will probably attenuate a bit more than 1.024 like it says in the book, and I'll get a bigger beer anyways.

Back